The Next Level Interviews Bethesdas Emil Pagliarulo

Beelzebud said:
Fallout 3 is the best RPG of the year, and McDonald's is the best food in the USA!

A wise man once said that Americans would eat racoon rectums if they were dipped in butter.

RIP George Carlin <3

Dreadwolf said:
Dunno where this quote's from but I always liked it: "A man may be smart, but people are dumb".
quote]

dont know either but it is used in men in black to explain why aliens are under cover on earth.

and i can only agree fallout 3 is a mediocre fps/rpg game that thruu massive hype and pr have sold millions doesnt mean it is a good game

I'm glad i came to this site.

I hadn't realized that they had embraced the "Oblivion with guns" tag for the game.Reading that just blew my mind.

I guess i hit the target closer than i thought when i remarked in another thread they should have just called the game Elder Scrolls 40K.

So i guess they never had any intention of trying to stay true to the franchise and had every intention all along of cramming Oblivion into a different setting.

That much became obvious to me while I was following the TES forums before the game was even released. Their "design philosophy" was shining through and I thought it was completely incompatible with Fallout. I did retain some hope but in the end...

They should have just been honest from the start then.

Enough people like Oblivion,and Bethesda games in general,that it would not have adversely affected sales of Fallout 3.

It also would have saved them some grief and the people who either didn't like Oblivion or were hoping for a true sequel to Fallout.

Big Feet said:

Enough people like Oblivion,and Bethesda games in general,that it would not have adversely affected sales of Fallout 3.

It also would have saved them some grief and the people who either didn't like Oblivion or were hoping for a true sequel to Fallout.
And miss all the free hype or the marketing opportunity?

They had something to say all the time, their forums were always busy with discussions etc etc. It kept the game "warm" enough without having to reveal too much information. Reviews mentioned how fallout 3 stayed true to the spirit of the previous two and all that, and the people who didn't know what the previous fallouts really were, fell for the bait even more easily. Hype! Plain and simple.

Seriously, why should they? Ethics? It's bethesda we are talking about, if they had really cared enough to tell they were doing it oblivion with guns, they wouldn't have butchered it in the first place!

Big Feet said:
Aren't you forgetting something here? Isn't it Bethesda we're taking about?

Big Feet said:
As if they care. They don't care.

Professor Danger! said:
Ixyroth said:
UniversalWolf said:
Emil said:
Meaning, you wander around a huge world, and talk to lots of interesting characters, and get lots of quests. But instead of killing them with a magic sword, you kill them with a gun that shoots teddy bears.
Fallout = dead.

Gaming = dead.

Hey, there's plenty of great new games...like uh...you know...those good ones. Like Halo 25 and Guitar Hero 10.

I fucking hate that game. I seem to be the only one, too.

Funny really...I played Fallout 1 & 2 after Fallout 3 and I prefer them, at least in terms of setting and story. TBH I do prefer FPS style gameplay.

Yellow said:
Emil, if you ever care about anything I have to say ever, I hope it is this:

Oblivion /= Fallout

Divide by Fallout error. Halted.

:)

Seriously, though... of all the depressing "oh that's why it sucked" developer quotes I've seen, this "Oblivion with guns" one is the saddest. The developers keep finding ways to rationalize their rape of a franchise they don't respect or (apparently) understand.

"Oblivion with Guns" is an insult; it is really a quick way of saying two things at once:

1) Oblivion may have been great, but it's not a good fit.

2) Oblivion was not great.

UnidentifiedFlyingTard said:
I have always hated Guitar Hero, who needs to pretend when you can actually play one.
Right you are!
And actually *learning* to play one is fun too! Even when you suck at it, and it sounds like kicking a cat around.
But it's very rewarding when you start to get the chords right, and with more speed.

Guitar Hero / Rockband are only really fun when you're hammered, and somebody decides to "rock slide" across the living room ala Pete Townsend and hurts themselves on the coffee table.

Yeah, who the hell wants to play Street Fighter when you could go out and learn a real martial art? :roll:

Public said:
The business-wise is definitely good, but not great. The point of the business is to earn money FROM the quality product.

The point of bussiness is to earn money first and foremost. Even the point of making a quality product is to have a good selling point from a bussiness point of view. A bussiness having an obligation to its market to produce quality products is a concern of bussiness ethics. And I'm not stating Bethesda is an ethical company.
Public said:
When a company thinks only about selling anything, not worrying about its quality (quantity first, quality last), then this company is just average.

Average according to what? From a consumer viewpoint you might be right. However FO3 DID sell a lot of copies and this is the only point that matters to them. They don't care if it is not a quality product according to us. It is regarded a quality product by a large mass.

Public said:
If all companies would be like Bethesda (it actually starts to happening), then how would you imagine this world to look?

I imagine this world to look exactly the same because all companies are like Bethesda already (and by that I mean profit-oriented). This is the entertainment industry and it has been around for as long as I know. Only for some years now entertainment industry found out about a new profitable market (gaming) and goes on full speed to exploit it's riches. How did it affect for instance, the music industry? Some of the genres that are not supported by mainstream industry went underground and/or indie. They still have considerably large fanbases. All the entertainment industry has done for music industry is to milk the mainstream market for all the money they got. Exact same thing is happening in gaming industry.

Public said:
Go watch the movie "Idiocracy".

I already did thank you but I still fail to see how mainstream market's catering to idiocy affects the world in such a way. Point in "Idiocracy" was that everything was "by idiots, for idiots". Decline of the intelligent people was because they weren't breeding at all.

Public said:
Yes, that's how people call it. But what that quote meant is, Emil thinks when lots of people bought it (lots of flies eat shit), it means it's a good quality product (shit is good).

And I stated he's right to think so. People BELIEVED it to be a product of good quality. Therefore they bought it. They even wrote an academical article about it. Even small-time blogs praised it which completely refutes the bribe theory. Emil, having participated in the creation of that product cannot objectively think it to be a product of high quality. Therefore he turns to the reception the product received and sees that it is BELIEVED to be a good product therefore it is. Of course this doesn't make FO3 a quality product automatically but blame is not on Emil here.

Public said:
It's a metaphor if you know what a "metaphore" means. If not, then check it out on wekepedia ;)

Thank you for your little informational piece but I'm already aware what metaphor means and I was merely twisting the metaphor.

Back