The sniper rifles are so powerful it makes me cry.

Haven't used explosives or meele/unarmed yet but from my experience (and a couple of threads I read) I can safely say that Energy weapons are broken atm.

Ammo is heavy, most weapons use more than 1 per shot and thanks to wonky mechanics of dt, it is applied to base weapon damage ignoring all the multipliers. This is reasonable in cases of +dmg perks and headshots but atm it also applies to overcharge and maxcharge, leaving you with no way to compensate low base damage of your weapons agains high dt . You have nothing to take on armored opponents like radscorpions or deahclaws. (Unlike the ap option for certain guns).

Energy weapons need a hefty overhaul

cronicler said:
Haven't used explosives or meele/unarmed yet but from my experience (and a couple of threads I read) I can safely say that Energy weapons are broken atm.

Ammo is heavy, most weapons use more than 1 per shot and thanks to wonky mechanics of dt, it is applied to base weapon damage ignoring all the multipliers. This is reasonable in cases of +dmg perks and headshots but atm it also applies to overcharge and maxcharge, leaving you with no way to compensate low base damage of your weapons agains high dt . You have nothing to take on armored opponents like radscorpions or deahclaws. (Unlike the ap option for certain guns).

Energy weapons need a hefty overhaul

/shrug sure at low levels energy weapons need a hand but honestly by end game my YCS guass rifle with Max Charge cells was 1 shotting everything in sight. up to and including Legate Lanius

The problem is the absence of alternatives.
You have Recharger Pistol for the vermin,
Pulse Pistol for a few select enemies (Have to admit it makes robots a cakewalk),
Gauss Rifle (5MC per shot)

Weapons like plasma defender, RCW and any unique variant are fun but at the end of the day , they aren't effective enough (low damage, clunky projectiles, too much ammo usage and so on)

Well the Ballistic Fist and the Super Sledge Out Preform the sniper rifle. Which is to say the sniper rifle is a very boring weapon in the game. Only good for killing Faction based people and not taking a hit to rep. I guess they are also good for low mid level game play when you want to get somewhere but it is still too dangerous, however at level 10 I beat the crap out of 8-10 Cazadors via spiked knuckles ... like I said you just have to be smart about what you do ... you have AID items that AID you in COMBAT so use them as there are an unlimited supply of every type.

Of course if you're an idiot then you can die vs a deathclaw ... but tell me why on Very Hard I can go through Deathclaw Promotory and Dead Wind Caverns without taking a hit and kill everything.

Energy Weapons are made at two levels low damage and MASSIVE damage that kills multiple enemies at once. They are not bad weapons most of you people just havent figured out how to break them. Ive got three energy weapon builds and they all break face no matter what I am going up against.

Well ignoring the fact they are high calibre sniper rifles.

How would one go about getting 10 agility and luck without seriously gimping the character in every other respect?

9 Str
1 Per
9 End
1 Cha
7 Int
5 Agi
9 Luck

Small Frame (+1 Agi)

Gear:
Wasteland Wanderer Outfit (+1Agi +1 End)
1st Recon beret (+1Per +5Crit)

Perks:
Finesse (Lvl10)

Sniper Rifle, Gobi and Ratslayer will have 95% crit rate.

*Party Time Mentats are your friend.

cronicler said:
9 Str
1 Per
9 End
1 Cha
7 Int
9 Agi
9 Luck

Small Frame (+1 Agi)

Gear:
Wasteland Wanderer Outfit (+1Agi +1 End)
1st Recon beret (+1Per +5Crit)

Perks:
Finesse (Lvl10)

Sniper Rifle, Gobi and Ratslayer will have 95% crit rate.

*Party Time Mentats are your friend.

Well it seems to me that if one is so inclined, any combination of weaponry and skills can become 'overpowred' if you produce a character with a ridiculous skillset.

I also agree that the setup is ridiculous and munchkin (and I don't actually play such builds) but it doesn't change the fact that you can get;

+5 (Party time Mentats)
+1 (Mentats)
+1 (Bounty Hunter Duster or Sexy Sleepwear)
+1 or +2 (Various alcoholic beverages)

+1 (Implant / Permanent)

for your Charisma stat and you can get;

+1 (Headgear inc, 1st Recon Beret)
+2 (PTMentats)
+2 (Mentats)
+1 (Absnithe)

+1 (Implant / Permanent)

For perception.

Intense Training lck at level 2 then implants

Should end up

Pretty well rounded, can use most guns and even use pretty good unarmed/melee could use them all if you got T45 power armor and weapon handling oh and I think having a 1 PER even with ED-E is a horrible idea

I personally feel ever combat skill has sick nasty weapons, people just have to get creative to exploit them which I've done with all combat skills. Of course a silence sniper rifle is op if you wanna play 90 of the game as a timid biatch afraid of a molerat sneaking up on you because all you notice is the danger sign and you begin to flip out that it might be one lucky deathclaw from the pack you're plucking away at ...

Josh Sawyer mentioned on the Beth forums that he has been tweaking the Sniper Rifle and Gobi rifle (I think it was that) to be "within the realms of mortals" for the next patch.

That's kind of cool, .308 rounds are pretty nasty but I think they need to get rid of the silencer for it and lower crit multiplier to like 2.5 or atleast make the hand loader ammo do 3x Gun Condition

The problems with sniper rifles is much deeper that it seems.

FPS games (NV is a mix of RPG and FPS) have big problem sight range (how far You see in game world) - this caused mainly by hardware issues (resolution - graphics card, processor power etc.)

Due to open world in NV this problem is even worst. If You spot enemy it takes him only few seconds to get to melee range. Comparing to real world in NV we have ca. 50 m (160 ft) range of vision ca. 50 m (160 ft). 50m is a max useful range for most of pistols in real world. In NV it`s hard to hit a target with rifles at max range.

So now why sniper rifles (SR) are overpowered in NV:

1. SR increase greatly range of vision - at least 3 times to 150m (5.56 mm assalut rifles have usually about 400 m effective range).
To make things worse, AI in NV is so dumb that attacked enemies can`t find You :S

2. Absurd idea of sneak attack. If You hit enemy in head it doesn`t matter if You were hiding or not. What sneak attack does it is allowing You to careful aim at head of unsuspected enemy - this is why snipers are so effective.

3. Critical hit damage. Again damage done to target depends on place of body hit (eg. headshots) and bullet (size, material, piercing abilites etc.), however in game terms I can understand this because it`s hard to model whole human/animal in game (NV is not a simulator of human body). Of cours this sometims lead to funny situtation - eg. cazador killed instantly because was hit in wing :)

4. Being so powerful SR are great weapons on short range, while in real the are almost useless at this range. Damage Treshold makes them even stronger.

Once you had that perk, it was a win button, practically every shot is always a critical. Luckily, it wasn't available until high levels.

Is it possible to make sniper rifles have accuracy penalties at short range?

No so much a penalty at short range, but a worse penalty for moving and/or not crouching when firing. I imagine they are very unwieldy when not in a still position, focused on being aimed.

I don't remeber a single game that don't OVERPOWER the sniper rifle, so the complain is not much about this, but the lack of other good combat options regarding the guns.
Following the sniper + sneak + better criticals is the easy path and hard not to follow, unfortunately.

The energy weapons in the current state are useless after a certain level, usually after level 12/13, since enemies will have better armor and DT.
Let's hope in the next patch Obsidian fix them.

For those complaining about heavy weapons, the Minigun with armor piercing ammo is friggin' awsome.
Try one of them, like the Avenger or a mingun upgraded with faster motor and decreased spread, and watch deathclaws and even those overpowered rangers in the final battle (if you fight for House, Vegas or Legion) dropping like flies.
5mm AP ammo is fairly available, so don't worry about it.
Just watch for the damned bug that switch any special ammunition equiped for the regular one in the weapon, it's very annoying.

Other than that, is very funny having a meele build character equiped with the Super Sledge or Oh, Baby! or Knock-Knock plus the Stonewall + Super Slam + Nerd Rage! + Piercing Strike + Adamantium Skeleton + Unstoppable Force perks putting even the Legendary Deathclaw to their knees! :lol:
Cass is a beast when equipped with Knock-Knock or Super Sledge, if your charisma is never below 5.
I only wished that meele weapons had the same ability of guns in VATS, since you can't specify a single part of the target, only the entire body.

If you want some adrenaline in your game try this, since you are sure to receive A LOT of damage before reaching your foe. :cool:

Energy Weapons aren't that bad. I had a low str, high agility character that used Plasma Defender for most enemies, Laser RCW for very occasional crowd control and then Pew Pew and Alien Blaster for strong enemies, and I cruised through the game with no difficulty.

The Sniper rifles are more powerful, but they tend to be overkill, as opposed to the other weapons being too weak.

Apparently (in your face, NV's poor balance defenders!) I was right.

1.2 patch nerfed both Gobi and regular sniper rifle to OBLIVION.

40 dam and x1 crit chance now!

Back