The top 50 video game moments

Matt K said:
Public said:
Yeah, this part should be on the list. I'm not sure if I finished The Haunted House properly, but I don't remember, did I help that little girl? Or not? :/

I think in the end you only end up getting the item so the ghost can be removed from the building. Otherwise, it seemed to just be a creepy look at what happened deal. BTW, I loved the ghostly flames and the dropping elevator took me by surprise especially since I wasn't really getting hurt during the previous parts of the level.

They should have made more story into this part IMO.
I liked the feeling, when you never knew when something will hit you and what :twisted:

Jim Cojones said:
PT: Private Sensorium, Deionarra's reminiscence. better than any moment in all games, movies and books.

Er, not really. A bad case of emotional laughtrack ("oh noes look he's being MEAN to her and LYING but she doesn't KNOW this is SAD and therefore you CRY with SADNESS"), and doesn't reflect your current character's personality in the least (even if you're just as evil as your old self you're still reduced to a gibbering wreck because THAT'S MEAN HOW CAN YOU EVEN DO THAT LIE TO SOMEONE THAT'S IMMORAL MUST CRY NOW).

I think the best writing in Torment is the Avellone-written dialogue in the Hive with lots of minor characters with different idioms and personalities, not the extra-significant exposition bits.

and doesn't reflect your current character's personality in the least

Isn't the sensory stone the one giving the feelings, so that even the toughest man will shed a tear?

Edit: And is there a way of knowing which characters were written by MCA? I know Morte is his son (after all they do look alike, see photo) and the other main characters were his creations too, but I don't know about the others.

mca.jpg

Note: That girl isn't me although I wish she was.
*blowjobs MCA*

FeelTheRads said:
and doesn't reflect your current character's personality in the least

Isn't the sensory stone the one giving the feelings, so that even the toughest man will shed a tear?

IIRC, sensory stones invoke the same experience, feelings and reactions as the original memory's owner. It's like you're replaying the memory, not roleplaying it.

Edit: I believe he wrote all the party members and major NPCs (Ravel, Trias, TTO, Fhjull, Pharod). According to interviews he did about 50% of design work.

FeelTheRads said:
And is there a way of knowing which characters were written by MCA? I know Morte is his son (after all they do look alike, see photo) and the other main characters were his creations too, but I don't know about the others.

Most character concepts are from him.

MCA details it a bit when I interviewed him:
I made up and wrote most of the major characters such as the companions, plus Deionarra, Ravel, Pharod, Dhall (and quite a few of the minor ones, especially in the Hive), but the entire team contributed to the roster. Dave Maldonado did an excellent job on bringing the Clerk's Ward to life as well as elements of the Sensorium, Colin did the same with the Foundry, and so on. I had done a first draft of most of the dialogues for Planescape before full production started, and some designers would use those, others would revise or change as they saw fit.

As did Colin:
Avellone is a madman, I’ll tell you that – it was only with the greatest regret that he passed off Fhjull and Trias to me, and I heard him weeping bitter and solitary tears in his office when he assigned the Brothel to Dave Maldonado.

Sensorium is mostly someone else's work, thusly.

FeelTheRads said:

The sensory stone only gives Deionarra's perspective, which isn't that bad. The special experience of TNO comes from the fact that he remembers what he was feeling while he played out the other (non-recorded) part, so he sees both sides at once, and is horrified that his older self was lying and manipulating.

FeelTheRads said:
Edit: And is there a way of knowing which characters were written by MCA?

I'm sure the Hive and possibly the underground are Avellone, the Lower Ward I believe is Deiley, and the Clerk's Ward and possibly the planes are McComb and Maldonado. There may be others involved.

I really enjoyed the history parts of fallout 1 & 2 were your delving into the happenings and consequences of things many years past also I really need to play torment played every black isle and troika and a lot of the other decent arpg ones like system shock diablo etc but I wasn't much of an internets man so never really heard about it to play it only to later learn that is basically a game designed for me.(hate most combat love dialogues and lore)

A few of my favorite moments:

Whenever I first made it to the Dark World in Link to the Past.

Whenever I traveled to the Xen dimension in Halflife.

Finally beating the Orcs in Warcraft 2.

Getting to the end of Earthbound and finding out the main enemy is a big floating mass of energy called Giygas.

I saw this one the other day and it just made me laugh.In Halflife Op Force when you disarm the nuke to get in the door, and after you get through you look out the window just to see the G-man rearming it.Classic.

The death of Aeris in FF7 is always up there.But my real favorite is when the cinema is shown of Sephiroth in the fire.He is still the embodiment of badass.I listen to One Winged Angel on a regular basis.

The gravity gun in Ravenholm n Halflife 2.

Seeing the Enclave blow away a group of people in a Random encounter in Fallout 2.That was how I was introduced to Fallout.

When I beat Resident Evil 2 and found out that you could play alternate stories with the different characters. Mr X busted through a wall and scared the shit out of me.

Seeing Wesker beat the shit out of Chris in Code Veronica.

Playing Mario Galaxy for the first time.Amazing game.Too short though.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Why doesn't anyone mention the Legacy of Kain series? It was the first and best storyline I've found.(the best probably because it was the first)

Then why put Diablo 2 in there? The only moment in it that made me high, was when i traveled to Tristram. D1 is way over it. Plus that the cow level was bashed by every decent gamer eventually.

Silent Hill , yes ... >_< pyramid head rulz

Oh GTA 3 o_O .. there was an army in the first GTA also ... the same as Diablo 2, i think it's lame that people who didn't get to play the original praise the sequel so much. This makes me hate the sequel. T_T

Fallout Arcanum Bloodlines have too many highs ..

To be honest I can't even find good games to play anymore. I wanted to play MGS4 but I don't have a fucking PS3.

Speaking of which:

MGS1 when you confront Liquid Snake and Grey Fox sacrifices his life. Thats a good one.

Matt K said:
Right now though I'm playing Bloodlines (first time) and just finished the Haunted House. Man, I didn't jump much but there were some real creepy part to it.

Okay, while the Haunted House wasn't too freaky, the DMP level made me jump a lot. That was messed up (and the beginning of the sewer level and that mini boss).

I really am surprised that none of Bloodlines made that list. This is probably one of the better games I've played in a while.

TorontRayne said:
To be honest I can't even find good games to play anymore. I wanted to play MGS4 but I don't have a fucking PS3.

I've bought MGS2 but it doesn't work on VISTA!!! :x

Back