The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

They're mostly just pictures dude it really doesn't take that long to read.

Longest manga I've read is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and that's like 63 volumes (so far).

Still Akira being read in only a couple of hours woudl only be posible glancing over the panels and only reading the bubbles... and what's point of reading a comic/manga like that?

At the most it will take you like an hour per volume and that's still not long at all.

1 hour per volume of Akira? unless yo uare just speed reading it barely paying attention to the panels I would have to say that you are just talking out of your ass.

Ilosar said:
Walpknut said:
I am gonna go watch Oblivion on the 4th of May.
But I don't know I seriously have never been able to buy Tom Cruise in an action role. Gotta see how he does there.

That's the thing, there's not a lot of action scenes, especially considering it's a pretty long movie (2h30). The film is mostly suspense and plot, with one chase sequence and a pretty good battle setpiece. So I really wasn't bothered too much by Cruise's acting, and this is coming from someone who usually has difficulty with him, especially when he tries to play the Jason Statham-like badass dude. Here he doesn't, and I found it works.

Also yet, the skyhouse is a pretty nice set. I'd love having that pool.

They still haven't torn that set down in Baton Rouge. People are so amazed by it, the company that owns the studios there (Celtic Studios) asked for it to be left up. I built that swimming pool by the way - four layers of 1" plywood with a crapload of bracing. The interior of the pool was painted green so they could make it look like glass. The water and lighting are real though. Tom Cruise said it was the most beautiful set he's ever seen.

Kosinski visited that set almost every day. I had no idea who the guy was, just thought he was some geek out of the art department. He was very friendly, open, and interested in talking to the propmakers while we were building the set. Usually dudes that high up the food chain are obnoxious asses. His next project is a remake of Logan's Run - hope he does it in Louisiana...

Courier said:
I dunno about the Eva manga but Akira is pretty short (only like five or six volumes I think). You can read it in a couple of hours.

I think I'd agree with Walpknut on this one. Like I've said, I've only started reading it, quite some time ago, but I doubt it'd take me just a few hours. I like to go through the pictures, I like the details.

Courier said:
Also most anime are never anywhere near 50 episodes long, more like 12-20.

I don't know much about anime series, but of all that people recommended me, majority were like 100-200 episodes long. Or longer. Or ongoing. I figure they are just commercial trash with lots of fillers, but, like I've said, a good deal were of that length.

If I'm not wrong NGE is 26 episodes, which I can take. I might give it a try in a month or so.

Admit it, Walp, you're just a slow reader 8-)

I don't know - I read Akira over the course of a week. Reading it in one go turns your brain into mush.

Atomkilla said:
I don't know much about anime series, but of all that people recommended me, majority were like 100-200 episodes long. Or longer. Or ongoing. I figure they are just commercial trash with lots of fillers, but, like I've said, a good deal were of that length.

Uh it's very rare for anything that's not "big three" shonenshit to go on longer than 20 or so episodes. I mean I can think of a couple '90s anime that ran for about 40 episodes maybe but I can't think of anything around 100 episodes that's actually good except Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Also yeah Eva is 26 episodes plus the movie, which is essential for closure and understanding anything that went on.

By the way you guys should watch Jin Roh if you haven't already, it's an anime movie that you'd probably enjoy.

New Thor Trailer
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p7rocHEecE[/youtube]

What do you all think? How is it compared to the Superman trailer?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY[/youtube]

While I prefer DC characters I like the Marvel live action Movies more than the DC ones for some reason, most of the live action movies just suck the fun and life out of them while the Marvel ones embrace more the comic book feeling.

All these superhero movies, are instant "I like them" movies. I don't love them or hate them, they always provide me with interesting ideas and enough stuff to keep me going. Instant sixes or sevens out of ten. Except Batman Begins. That shit was terrible. 1st half: I become batman, and to prove I don't execute people I blow up a building full of ninjas. 2nd half: Spraying gas all over the city.

Nolan's Batman is general is pretty incoherent

I don't Like guns.... except for the ones mounted on all my vehicles!
I won't run over the Joker breaking his legs.... But I will throw this guy off a roof breaking his legs.
This height isn't gonna kill you... unless is the climax of the movie and we need a tacked on sad ending with Harvey Dent dying.
The cartilage on my leg is completely fucked up so I need a super atomic brace in my leg.... But that was cured by getting my back broken and laying in the ground for weeks.

Courier said:
By the way you guys should watch Jin Roh if you haven't already, it's an anime movie that you'd probably enjoy.

I've seen The Wolf Brigade, and I quite enjoyed it. I like Mamoru Oshii's work really much, and was thinking of checking out Patlabor.
Anyone watched it?

As for Jin-Roh, or Kerberos Saga (I think that's the name), is manga worth reading?

Basically, I am making a list of manga/anime I will read/watch once I'm done with my exam n' shit and have plenty of free time, so I'm exploring.
So far I have Oshii's work planned, also Miyazaki and I guess I've added Akira and NGE to the list.

Read Twentieth Century Boys if you haven't, one of Naoki Urasawa's best.

Also Kokou no Hito is a rather intense manga (sometimes it gets a litle silly with how intense it gets) about climbing, it's a Seinen so don't expect the initial shonen feeling to last...

Jin Roh is interesting. Though most probably just like it for the armor.

Pet Labor? Not sure ... its been a long time. Cant remember that it impressed me though.

But both animies are rather about story and characters, less about action.

Atomkilla said:
is manga worth reading?

If you like shonen Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is the greatest shonen manga of all time (well it kind of turns seinen later on but still).

[spoiler:c4a502a1a0]
0HFvxcd.png
[/spoiler:c4a502a1a0]

DammitBoy said:
[They still haven't torn that set down in Baton Rouge. People are so amazed by it, the company that owns the studios there (Celtic Studios) asked for it to be left up. I built that swimming pool by the way - four layers of 1" plywood with a crapload of bracing. The interior of the pool was painted green so they could make it look like glass. The water and lighting are real though. Tom Cruise said it was the most beautiful set he's ever seen.
It is pretty dang cool. Period.

I really liked the overall appearance of Oblivion. Some nice attention to the composition of the shots, and a relatively light touch with the action and CGI.

I hope the new Logan's Run turns out as well. I just saw the old one again a few months ago for the first time since the 1970s. It's held up better than I thought it would. Abandoning that amazing old 70s aesthetic will make me sad, but it's a solid, entertaining story, so a remake could work.

Atomkilla said:
Courier said:

I've seen The Wolf Brigade, and I quite enjoyed it. I like Mamoru Oshii's work really much, and was thinking of checking out Patlabor.
Anyone watched it?

Was going to suggest it. Both are excellent movies, the second I liked it more than Ghost in the Shell.

Courier said:
Atomkilla said:
is manga worth reading?

If you like shonen Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is the greatest shonen manga of all time (well it kind of turns seinen later on but still).

[spoiler:eda50d2c1b]
0HFvxcd.png
[/spoiler:eda50d2c1b]

It goes slowly downhill starting with part 5 IMO. The ending of part 6 is terrible and I struggled to finish part 7. I'm not even bothering reading part 8.

Back