The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Part 7 is atrocious, Araki didn't give a single fuck about consistency and retconned and twisted everything he wanted just to move the story forward. What are the powers of Gyro? Who knows. As long as Araki can come up with a connection between a desired effect and rotations/vibrations he can do it. And the steel ball returns to him (even when thrown by others) because who knows. Laziest writing ever. When he retconned the powers of a character and used the retcon as a plot twist I was done with the series.

He retconned the last panel of an episode with the first panel of the next episode once, for god's sake. And then for good measure he retconned it again one or two episodes later. Talk about making shit up as you go along...

You could almost say that it's bizarre.

[spoiler:cd63c5df6f]Seriously though I don't even know how you made it all the way to part 7 if you care about consistency that much, Jojo has never really been a series too concerned with logic. I mean you could say the same things about the Ripple that you said about the Spin.

I think you're just taking it too seriously. I mean this is the manga that has panels that say things like "my nam is, (u don't need to remember) Guanglai Kangyi". You don't need to overthink it just enjoy the ride.[/spoiler:cd63c5df6f]

[spoiler:cd63c5df6f]and it's a great ride...
eUI2Fn5.jpg
[/spoiler:cd63c5df6f]

Until part 5 Araki laid rules and powers and didn't stray too far from them. He took weird liberties now and then (controlling zombies with the Ripple?) but never to the levels reached in part 7.

Duwang? What's that? Isn't the city called Morio Cho?

Wow, plenty of answers and suggestions.
I'm too lazy to quote each of you, but regardless, I thank you for your help. Hopefully, I will check out (majority) of these.

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
Until part 5 Araki laid rules and powers and didn't stray too far from them.

lol no he didn't the Ripple's power is pretty much just whatever Araki needed it to be for the plot to advance.

Plus the early parts are loaded with way more inconsistencies than the later parts. Like how Erina and Dio both somehow survived the shipwreck in the same coffin.

Duwang? What's that? Isn't the city called Morio Cho?

Did you not read part 4? :?

I wasn't even aware there were any completed alternatives to the Duwang translation yet. Speaking of which, the only reason part 5 sucks so much is because it's the most poorly translated in the series .

It just sounds to me like Jo Jo's Bizzarre adventure is the typical generic Shonen written with not even a fuck given, like Bleach, One Piece and Dragon Ball.

Well, I've been completely been turned off superhero movies just by watching Iron Man 3. What the hell was that crap?! You just shove a load of crap in without any focus. The first two were average movies yes, but the first focused on Tony Stark becoming iron man and then dealing with the repercussions, that is his colleague trying to take it from him. Not complicated, not deep, but it works. The second one was about an old friend of tony's father who wants revenge for his families work on setting up Stark industries being used only to get the starks power, with his family being cast off. Again like the first it works.

This third one . . oh boy, where do I start.

[spoiler:6eca8a3299]-The mandarin is built up as the villain in the first half, then shown to be just a silly actor. Derailing an already fumbled story.

-The real villain, mister extremis inventor doesn't even have a motivation to go after tony. He just does what he does because he's an evil scientist. With magic red eye fire breath super strength evil bioengineer power.

-There was a good scene at the beginning of 2 where tony actually said some things. No great dialogue that builds a solid framework of a plot like in classics and memorable movies, but a scene for him to be him. In this one he just mumbles and makes bad jokes in every scene. Because that's what tony does right? Because that's what people want to see, random stuff, thrown in, no rhyme or reason. Not even a tiny one.

Then there's these questions:
-How is there no reaction from the actual ten rings organization, you know, the one we actually saw in the first movie, when Mr Killian invents a bin laden that is supposed to be their leader. "Yeah, hello earth, we've never heard of this Mandarin guy supposed to be leading us."

-How could you invent the biggest terrorist on earth anyway? He is not actually doing any terrorist actions! He's not anywhere shooting people up or nothing!

-What was Mr. Killians actual motivation? Does he even have one?

-No tension, no scenes where actors can be actors and shine a little bit, no focus at all in the plot, which renders the characters, dialogue and action meaningless, just shit, fuck this, fuck everybody.[/spoiler:6eca8a3299]

Atomkilla said:
Courier said:
I dunno about the Eva manga but Akira is pretty short (only like five or six volumes I think). You can read it in a couple of hours.

I think I'd agree with Walpknut on this one. Like I've said, I've only started reading it, quite some time ago, but I doubt it'd take me just a few hours. I like to go through the pictures, I like the details.

Thirding this. I read one volume in a night - several hours, at best. I can stay on a single page for minutes. Needless to say, at such a pace, the volume will take hours by itself.
It's not a competition. I love to take my time with this.

But ALL volumes, in two hours!?
Maybe if you're Derren Brown.

Walpknut said:
It just sounds to me like Jo Jo's Bizzarre adventure is the typical generic Shonen written with not even a fuck given, like Bleach, One Piece and Dragon Ball.

It's the shonen manga that all those shonen manga try to imitate but fail at.

Kind of like how there are a lot of linear FPS games that try to imitate Half-Life 2 but are nowhere near as good. Stanislao doesn't know what he's talking about, it's just generic internet hate I think.

Courier said:
Until part 5 Araki laid rules and powers and didn't stray too far from them.

lol no he didn't the Ripple's power is pretty much just whatever Araki needed it to be for the plot to advance.

Most of all the applications shown are all tied to control of liquids/fluids. Walking on waters, repelling high pressure oil, the exploding cactus, straightening hairs, connecting leaves to use as parachutes and so on. What's more important is that he reused mutiple times any given application, he didn't just come up with a power, used it one time and then thrown it away. True, there was stuff that made no sense any way you slice it but there was a much stronger common theme among all the powers compared to the Spin. It may have also helped that the Ripple appeared in just 12 volumes while Steel Ball Run lasted for 24 volumes.

Plus the early parts are loaded with way more inconsistencies than the later parts. Like how Erina and Dio both somehow survived the shipwreck in the same coffin.

It's not the same coffin. For one Dio's had (in part 1, not just part 3 mind you) a flat cover, while the one used by Erina had a...er...rounded? cover. It probably was the coffin of the zombified chinese man.

Did you not read part 4? :?

I wasn't even aware there were any completed alternatives to the Duwang translation yet. Speaking of which, the only reason part 5 sucks so much is because it's the most poorly translated in the series .

I read the italian -and officially translated- version. One of the first mangas I started reading actually, back in 1993 (first issue I bought was JoJo's battle with Wahm in Rome, gosh I feel old :().

Stanislao doesn't know what he's talking about, it's just generic internet hate I think.

Riiiiiight. :roll:

It's not the same coffin. For one Dio's had (in part 1, not just part 3 mind you) a flat cover, while the one used by Erina had a...er...rounded? cover. It probably was the coffin of the zombified chinese man.

It is the same coffin, only one coffin was on board and Wang Chan didn't have one because he was disguised as a passenger on the ship (he converted everyone else to zombies). Araki just forgot.

I read the italian -and officially translated- version. One of the first mangas I started reading actually, back in 1993 (first issue I bought was JoJo's battle with Wahm in Rome, gosh I feel old :().

You read it in a language other than Japanese or English? No wonder you didn't like it.

Courier said:
It is the same coffin

No, it isn't.

[spoiler:cbad8c6078]
coffinw.jpg
[/spoiler:cbad8c6078]

Only one coffin was on board and Wang Chan didn't have one because he was disguised as a passenger on the ship (he converted everyone else to zombies). Araki just forgot.

How do you know he didn't have one? How do you know he embarked as a passenger? The manga says nothing on the matter. And he embarked in broad daylight despite being a zombie?

So there are two coffins that look different and Wang Chan was on board with no explicite explanations. What do you make of it?

You read it in a language other than Japanese or English? No wonder you didn't like it.

What's this even supposed to mean? At least I hadn't to wait 15 years to read it.

Edit. We are going a bit off-topic I think.

Holy shit you guys! A whole new world has opened up to me! I've discovered the sprawling works of the internet fan editor community. A better star wars trilogy, a not ruined spiderman 3, a planet of the apes 6 movie combo with a story that loops on itself, pulp star fiction wars, and a lot more crazy shit is all possible.

@Akratus: Not that Iron Man 3 has a great script, but you're conflating your knowledge from the comic books to the movie universe. [spoiler:f7fd98923c]There's no mention of the ten rings at all in this movie and just a few, minor mentions in the earlier movies. I don't recall the Mandarin ever explicitly being mentioned as their leader, so it's perfectly possible they are a totally separate organization with a different honcho.

Also, have you actually watched the movie? The very first scene sets mr. loser nerd as the main villain and someone with a grudge against Stark. The movie is really unsubtle about it too, and even gives him a little villain speech to make that clear.[/spoiler:f7fd98923c]

I mean, the movie has pacing problems, a generally dumb script and is overreliant on humor (most of the jokes are pretty bad too, most of the people in the theater weren't laughing), but your criticism doesn't really ring true at all and feels, well, nerdy. And in a bad way.

Lebanon
2009, Israel
lebanon+still.jpg

With the entire movie shot from inside a tank, this movie is unique by default. In many ways a typical "anti-war" film, it is original, and manages to employ many a good effect, although it might get a tad bit predictable/preachy I am willing to forgive all of that for the sake of originality, tension and intension. What more can one ask anyway, right?
So, I'm giving it a good solid score, out of ten.

WorstUsernameEver said:
@Akratus: Not that Iron Man 3 has a great script, but you're conflating your knowledge from the comic books to the movie universe. [spoiler:30672f5a4e]There's no mention of the ten rings at all in this movie and just a few, minor mentions in the earlier movies. I don't recall the Mandarin ever explicitly being mentioned as their leader, so it's perfectly possible they are a totally separate organization with a different honcho.

Also, have you actually watched the movie? The very first scene sets mr. loser nerd as the main villain and someone with a grudge against Stark. The movie is really unsubtle about it too, and even gives him a little villain speech to make that clear.[/spoiler:30672f5a4e]

I mean, the movie has pacing problems, a generally dumb script and is overreliant on humor (most of the jokes are pretty bad too, most of the people in the theater weren't laughing), but your criticism doesn't really ring true at all and feels, well, nerdy. And in a bad way.

You think I read superhero comics? Nah, I'm just some crazy guy with a weird taste for semi-serious and not overblown superhero movies.

zegh8578 said:
Lebanon
2009, Israel
lebanon+still.jpg

With the entire movie shot from inside a tank, this movie is unique by default. In many ways a typical "anti-war" film, it is original, and manages to employ many a good effect, although it might get a tad bit predictable/preachy I am willing to forgive all of that for the sake of originality, tension and intension. What more can one ask anyway, right?
So, I'm giving it a good solid score, out of ten.

From inside a tank?

That sounds pretty cool. Definitely original.

Maybe I'll check it out.

All outside clips are shown through the turret aim.
You can tell when he is moving the camera vs when he is moving the whole turret, from the sound it makes. It definitely is a very interesting movie, and if you like gritty war-movies, a must-see!

Back