Things that Fallout 3 does RIGHT

Yeah but instead of this nice plastic head with really looks trashy we have some sort of milky glass which is streamlined (as the whole bot is). And it does not have those silly antennas

The Protectrons are based on Robby the Robot from Forbidden Planet

Ye-up. Can't get more 50's retro sci-fi than that. Roflcore, I suggest you do some research on what you intend to compare before spouting declarative statements.

Also, Robbie the Robot's design was copied extensively during the 50's and the following decade. One of my favourite robots ever, as he's apparently able to produce massive amounts of alcohol out of thin air.

In my opinion, the things done really well are:

- Vehicles. Cars, subway trains, trucks and the occasional destroyed train/monorail. They look absolutely awesome and entirely 50's 'future!'. In addition to that, the small tri-cycle craft reminds me of Terry Gilliam's Brazil, which is another plus.

- Robots. Although the new Mr. Handy/Gutsy is a departure from the original, it looks very good and fits the setting perfectly, so do the rest of the robots. A shame they didn't include the ol' mister handy model. Oh well. I hope someone makes a model and mods it in.

- Street objects in downtown DC. The design of the nuclear bomb-resisting telephones, gas stations, diners and other details are very, very good.

- DC's Architecture*. Most of the city buildings are very good and give off an awesome Fallout vibe. A bit of a shame that the same atlases and the same art-decoish sculptures were copy-pasted a bit everywhere. The walls' texture could use darker colors, as most buildings feel a bit too 'new' to be more than 200 years old.

*Oh, yeah. Barring the huge blatant fact that it absolutely doesn't look like the city got nuked. It looks like it was 'lightly' bombed with conventional weapons a few months before the game starts.

Because, you know, there are no buildings in DC that are hardened in the event of a nuclear attack. And of course, we all have ample knowledge of exactly what a nuked-out capital city looks like, right? Levelled to the ground, that's what I expected. :roll:

I'm really glad you guys weren't responsible for the art design and worldbuilding in this game. I think 15 square miles of assorted rubble and scrap metal would be pretty damn boring to look at. But those wacky developers, amirite? Lulz.

Robots. Although the new Mr. Handy/Gutsy is a departure from the original, it looks very good and fits the setting perfectly, so do the rest of the robots. A shame they didn't include the ol' mister handy model. Oh well. I hope someone makes a model and mods it in.

In the wiki, I called them Type I and Type II models, instead of accepting it as a retcon. And I don't like the Sentry Bot and Liberty Prime that much. Mister Handy, Mister Gutsy, Protectron, Robobrain and Eyebot are cool, though.

*Radio stations
*The Mirelurks... Crab people!!!
*This game really brought back the fear of the Death Claw
*The odd jobs you can get
*The Vaults.

*The Various Enclave scout teams and the fact you can blow the Birds out of the sky!!!

I really like being able to shoot grenades that are thrown at me or still in the hands of my enemies.

DeadEye001 said:
Because, you know, there are no buildings in DC that are hardened in the event of a nuclear attack. And of course, we all have ample knowledge of exactly what a nuked-out capital city looks like, right? Levelled to the ground, that's what I expected. :roll:
Trolling much, lately? Also,
dresden1945qc1.jpg

Dresden, 1945, after firebombing.

Wooz said:
Ye-up. Can't get more 50's retro sci-fi than that. Roflcore, I suggest you do some research on what you intend to compare before spouting declarative statements.

Huh?
If that bot would actually look like its 50's inspiration source I would like it very much. But right now it seems as if they took the basemodel and send it to the Star Wars Droidfactory for "improvement"

Hiroshima was, if I'm not mistaken, not as developed as hamburg, meaning many of the houses were not constructed to last (while in Hamburg some houses still stand). But the whole thing is rather pointless, because if you launch a preemptive nuclear strike you will surely nuke the enemies capital city and political heart to the ground, taking no chances.

Thank you, Dragula. I must contest your implication, however, that I am trolling. If I may present a previous post in this thread:

SoberCounsel said:
A very lacklustre dungeon accessed via a sewer grate, leads to a fairly mediocre ruin. To be honest i'm more disappointed that there was anything left there at all. We've all seen footage of nuke's falling on cities. Uniform obliteration is a common theme, yet for some reason there are charred corpses and even whole staircases remaining in the place where the bombs fell.

Hell, the crater left by the *unexploded* Megaton bomb is larger.

I do believe that 'uniform obliteration' is not a fun or interesting environment to play around in. I do not find it difficult to believe that despite the devastating power of nuclear weapons, there would be buildings that would survive the blast, damaged but still standing. Some of the pictures you have provided are interesting, particularly the one of Hiroshima, but it is also a point that these cities were often centuries old, and a modern city, especially a modern city known to be at high risk of targetting in a nuclear exchange, would have buildings capable of withstanding the effects of a nuclear blast. Even in the Hiroshima picture, it is clear that some buildings are still standing, although quite damaged. It is common knowledge that the majority of buildings in Hiroshima at the time were not modern, structurally sound designs.

Thus, I don't see it as trolling to point out that it is unlikely to expect the ruins of DC to suffer 'uniform obliteration', nor do I feel such an area would be fun to play around in.

Hey, I never said it would be all out empty. I just helped Buxbaum666 point out that it should be more barren than it is, so when you find a building it's something more exclusive and fun.

Ausir said:
And I don't like the Sentry Bot and Liberty Prime that much.

I liked the sentry bot. Moreso than F2's anime-like hulking biped. The idea of Liberty Prime was ridiculous in the first place, as huge robots in FO's world fit in it as well as Hippy Elves With Guns.

And of course, we all have ample knowledge of exactly what a nuked-out capital city looks like, right? Levelled to the ground, that's what I expected.

Uh, we do know what a nuked city looks like. There's quite a lot of Hiroshima and Nagasaki pictures taken a few days after the bombs hit. And no, doesn't have to look entirely razed, as after all, there were decades to re-adapt some of the structures. As it is, they look like the war happened a few months earlier, and DC got hit with a relatively light bombing attack.

I think 15 square miles of assorted rubble and scrap metal would be pretty damn boring to look at. But those wacky developers, amirite? Lulz.

And where did I say there should be 15 square miles of rubble and scrap metal only?

Stop trolling or I'll wear your ass as a necklace, foo'.

EDIT:

Thus, I don't see it as trolling to point out that it is unlikely to expect the ruins of DC to suffer 'uniform obliteration', nor do I feel such an area would be fun to play around in.

No, trolling is implying I felt the game should look like an uniformly razed landscape. I didn't. There's a wide spectrum of possibilities between DC in F3 and a razed-to-the-ground, empty space.

golfmade said:
Mikael Grizzly said:
We need a list of these.

* Chinese presence in the Commonwealth. The Chinese Assault Rifles, uniforms, dead commandos, L.O.B. Industries, Mama Dolce are (in my opinion) an excellent expansion of the lore on China.

But are mythical animal beings (aka Yao Guai) really necessary?

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself. Why does the mutant bear have a Chinese name (yao guai means monster)? And why is there a Chinese radio station (with looping message from the war) receivable near the cathedral? Did the Chinese make it to DC?

[spoiler:3f6d01cdbd]There's a radio tower in which you can find two very dead Chinese spies in its basement.[/spoiler:3f6d01cdbd]

Wooz said:
Uh, we do know what a nuked city looks like. There's quite a lot of Hiroshima and Nagasaki pictures taken a few days after the bombs hit. And no, doesn't have to look entirely razed, as after all, there were decades to re-adapt some of the structures. As it is, they look like the war happened a few months earlier, and DC got hit with a relatively light bombing attack.

And where did I say there should be 15 square miles of rubble and scrap metal only?

Stop trolling or I'll wear your ass as a necklace, foo'.

EDIT:

No, trolling is implying I felt the game should look like an uniformly razed landscape. I didn't. There's a wide spectrum of possibilities between DC in F3 and a razed-to-the-ground, empty space.

What do you think 'uniform obliteration' implies? I'll understand if you need to check the definition of obliteration. But you should probably check out what the word means. Because 15 miles of rubble would be 'uniform obliteration'. If you use the term 'uniform obliteration', that's what I'm going to assume that you mean. Because that's what it is. Even Hiroshima didn't suffer 'uniform obliteration', as you can see in the picture Dragula provided, and like I said before, that was an old city, not a modern one, and especially not a city that would likely be hardened against nuclear attack.

In any event, my perception of 'lightly bombed' is completely different to yours, because there are a lot of buildings that are totally fucked up amongst others that are fairly structurally sound. That doesn't seem light to me. That seems a bit more than light. In any case, that's a matter of opinion, so we'll agree to disagree on that one.

Don't be so quick to cry troll, fellas. It's a little like namecalling, and nobody likes to be called names.

Also: You want to wear my ass as a necklace? Because that's kind of... well, messed up.

boodah said:
yao guai means monster)? And why is there a Chinese radio station (with looping message from the war) receivable near the cathedral? Did the Chinese make it to DC?

it means and is a chinese daemon. oh and the chinese were pushed back after they had initial success in alaska. so no chance any of them reached dc. must have been sleepers or so.

Wooz said:
[spoiler:761f42bb34]There's a radio tower in which you can find two very dead Chinese spies in its basement.[/spoiler:761f42bb34]

Ah, okay, that explains that (and I think it's a nice touch), but what's up with the bear?

And regarding the ruins: I agree that it looks more like after a (recent) regular bombing than like an atomic strike in DC. Don't know, maybe the bombs didn't hit the city directly and landed somewhere outside the playable area; and the destruction is due to the shock-waves.

Roflcore said:
it means and is a chinese daemon. oh and the chinese were pushed back after they had initial success in alaska. so no chance any of them reached dc. must have been sleepers or so.

Maybe I misunderstand your meaning. You're saying the bear is actually a demon?

Oh and I thought yaoguai just means monster ('cause in Chinese rpgs - like in the XianJian series - all monsters, not just the demons are referred to as yaoguai). But I guess that's just stupid nitpicking, so whatever.

So DeadEye, how old is the white house by 2070? Centuries, perhaps? Or has it been hardened by then to withstand a nuclear blast. I'd like to know about this hardening process that seem to be common knowledge. The pentagon couldn't even take a crashing plane to it's wall, what structures are you refering to? Do you grasp the difference in scale between that and a nuclear detonation? The weapons used in hiroshima and nagasaki were not even close to the destructive power achieved by modern warheads.

No, it wouldn't be fun to run around a whole lot of nothing, but then an easy solution would be to just not model DC.

Oh and I thought yaoguai just means monster ('cause in Chinese rpgs - like in the XianJian series - all monsters, not just the demons are referred to as yaoguai). But I guess that's just stupid nitpicking, so whatever.

It could be a Chinese genetically engineered weapon, similarly to the US-made deathclaws and wanamingos.

Back