Things that Fallout 3 does RIGHT

Tagaziel

Panzerkatze
Orderite
We need a list of these.

* Chinese presence in the Commonwealth. The Chinese Assault Rifles, uniforms, dead commandos, L.O.B. Industries, Mama Dolce are (in my opinion) an excellent expansion of the lore on China.
* Enclave officer attire. I really love their uniforms.
* Environmental art of ruined DC.
* Cars. Their design is splendid.
* Vault 92 (discounting the pests). A brilliant idea with so-so execution.
* Protectrons.

As far as the cars, design nice, exploding is not.

I think they did a good job on showing devastation of the various monuments.

Although I wish I could have gone to the white house.

I think they did a good job with the vagueness of the various Vaults, there was no clear information scattered around or shoved in your face, you had to scrounge around for the terminals and records themselves. It could be argued that sometimes the information was just so lax (from laziness in regards to providing exposition) that it detracted from the experience though.

I also enjoyed the fact that several perks present new dialog options, Cannibal perk with the Family, Child at Heart, Black Widow, Robotics Expert, etc.
Sometimes the results were awkward, but there was liberal use of these checks in dialog which was nice to say the least.

Well, i actually liked wasting time just running around wasteland,doing quests, scavenging etc....

...till i realised there was nothing interesting out there(exept T-51b, alien blaster and couple of nice views),minigun = multibarrel bb gun, and caps ive found were useless becouse there was nothing there to buy ... ;]

Mikael Grizzly said:
We need a list of these.

* Chinese presence in the Commonwealth. The Chinese Assault Rifles, uniforms, dead commandos, L.O.B. Industries, Mama Dolce are (in my opinion) an excellent expansion of the lore on China.

But are mythical animal beings (aka Yao Guai) really necessary?

I personally like the look of the 'gas' stations.

Also liked the look of Oasis, even though the whole story behind it I didn't like.

Agreed about the Deathclaws, radscorpions (especially the big ones) look good.

The radio stations were really cool. I liked that you'd just be walking along, pick up this signal, and have to snoop around looking for the source. You had to kind of triangulate it by walking around until you lost it, walking back, etc.

Bethesda's always been good at wide-open worlds. If you don't really like much about Oblivion (I don't) you still have to admit that walking through the forest was an experience in and of itself. It's fun doing the same thing in Fallout 3 for at least a little while, until you run into actual content. But finding the cool little things they left around and just taking the post-apocalypse in from a new perspective is something they certainly deserve some credit for.

The problem is all the content that was scripted and written out. That stuff is less than ideal.

Pope Viper said:
As far as the cars, design nice, exploding is not.

I think they did a good job on showing devastation of the various monuments.

Although I wish I could have gone to the white house.
The mod to make cars not explode will be the first one I install. :roll:

You can go to the White House.. sort of. For fun I selected the Explorer Perk and lo-and-behold I saw amongst the wreckage of downtown D.C. the ruins of the White House.

A very lacklustre dungeon accessed via a sewer grate, leads to a fairly mediocre ruin. To be honest i'm more disappointed that there was anything left there at all. We've all seen footage of nuke's falling on cities. Uniform obliteration is a common theme, yet for some reason there are charred corpses and even whole staircases remaining in the place where the bombs fell.

Hell, the crater left by the *unexploded* Megaton bomb is larger.

I disagree on the chinese stuff. the sword is just plain stupid (china != japan) and the fact that their are tons of chinese weapons make my head hurt.

and Protectrons don't really look like 1950sifi.

I like the map layout and enviroment. The highways don't really fit but the hills and rivers are nicely done.

Whhaaaaaat? The Protectrons look TOTALLY 1950's sci-fi to me. In fact, I think they nailed all the robots really well. I love the lines Mr. Gutsy throws at you during the fight. Basically a ton of funny gung-ho anti-communism stuff.

Also, about the Chinese swords. I don't know about their command structure, but here don't officers (at least naval officers) carry ceremonial swords? It doesn't seem ridiculous that they might do the same.

Roflcore said:
the sword is just plain stupid (china != japan)
Japan isn't the only nation with ceremonial military swords. I mean, the sword is kinda stupid, but it makes contextual sense which is more than I can say about the wakizashi in FO2.

and Protectrons don't really look like 1950sifi.

I disagree completely, I thought they totally nailed it. Reminded me of the robot from 'Lost in Space' (sixties, I know, but close enough in terms of style).

I disagree on the chinese stuff. the sword is just plain stupid (china != japan) and the fact that their are tons of chinese weapons make my head hurt.

There's what- a Chinese assault rifle and a Chinese officer's sword? Hardly "tons of Chinese weapons". At least, that's all I've encountered in 30+ hours of gameplay.

besides, fallout is based on bad 50s pulp novels instead of reality so a combination of all asian culture into some sort of super-stereotype actually fits

There's also a "Chinese Pistol". And I think "tons of Chinese weapons" meant you can find them anywhere.

Yeah, every Raider and their mom carries chinese guns. Seems like the invasion force was stopped at alaska but the chinese guns were shipped to dc somehow. Those chinese logistic officers must really suck. maybe they spent too much time on using japanese swords? ;)

I think Protectrons are out of place because they are everywhere and they look way too cool.

Back