Thoughts on Half-Life 2 and Portal 2 (or Valve games in general)?

G-Hombre

Space is Dangerous
Just played Half-Life 2, played Portal 2 a few years ago and just revisited. Damn those games were amazing. If you haven't played you seriously should, you have no idea what you're missing. I just recently bought Portal 1, so I'm starting on that, I'll get around to the rest of the Half-Life games soon.

If you have played any of them, what are your thoughts?

I've only played the Portal games but those are great! I'm looking to pick up Half-Life when I can. Is Gmod a Valve game?

I've only played the Portal games but those are great! I'm looking to pick up Half-Life when I can. Is Gmod a Valve game?

Nope it's a Facepunch game. Gmod is only good (imo) if you find a gamemode you like or if you enjoy building things.

Loved Portal 2, liked Half Life 2 until I've finally catched up with Vtm: Bloodlines, then hated it alot. Valve's game in general are... products of their time, specifically the 2000s. Aside from TF2 and Dota 2 (they're on life support), Valve's game are outdated but it's a fine nostalgia fuel. Half life series might also be good for mods, modders are continously delivering goods. That is if you crave for some FPS.

I played all of the Half Life games just recently and i enjoyed them, for the most part. Half Life 2 though, the times you just stand around and hear people talk while you have no input or no way to speed things up get quite annoying and there's some parts like this.

If these were just a cutscene with a skip option i wouldn't have much of an issue with them.

Half-Life, now there's a blast from the past. I've played the first one, but couldn't muster enough interest to finish the second. And I think that's because the first did something new, it shook up the genre and, I'll explain this later, it really showed off the latest tech.

Back then you had shooters like Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D. All great games in their own respect. Yet these games have no story to speak of and weren't having any pretensions in that regard either. The story was there to point you towards the baddies, and you, playing mister Blaskowitz, are the man for the job. They were all about good gory fun.
Half-Life had you start out as a research assistant, a geek, riding to work on the monorail, performing several menial tasks. This served both as a prelude of things to come as well as a very smart tutorial which allowed the player to accustom himself to the controls. Immersion, a nowadays filthy buzzword from the mid 2000's comes to mind, yet it perfectly describes what Half-Life did back then. It sucked you in to the story and didn't let go before you saw the ending credits.

As for the tech... In those days you had 3d accelerator cards (3Dfx). Cards that required an additional PCI-slot, that couldn't operate on themselves (you still needed a separate VGA card) and on top of that cost about half the price of your whole rig. Yet Half-Life showed why it was worth the investment. Or at least you could justify to your self spending all that money by showing off to your friends. Perfectly smoothed edges, fluent gameplay, games couldn't get any more realistic than this. Or so I thought back then, of course the game is a fossil (albeit with very smooth edges) compared to today's graphics.

So there you have it. A revolutionary game with ditto graphics that was released at exactly the right time. If you haven't played it yet, I'm curious to hear if it held any appeal to you. I'm afraid not actually, everything the game did right back then has been done better by countless other games today.

Still have to play HL2, but HL1 was revolutionary at the time, and few other titles emulated it well since.

I'm curious to hear if it held any appeal to you.

If you're talking about HL1, which I have not played, then the appeal is held by the fact that I enjoyed HL2 and also because if you ask any Valve fan they'll claim it's one of the greatest games ever.

Edit: I will add that Half Life's acclaim, well at least 2's, is well deserved.

Valve's game are outdated but it's a fine nostalgia fuel.

I agree most are. There are really only two of their games that could be considered modern, in my opinion, they're the Left 4 Dead games, specifically L4D2, and CS:GO. L4D2 came out in 2009 and still has a good player base and is still considered one of the best team based games out there. CS:GO is 6 or 7 years old now, most FPS games die by then.

One of the weirdest statements I've read about Half Life 2 was actually from this forum. It think it was Woo2311 or whatever their name was and they said HL2 sucked because a bunch of games which came after it copied it's ideas and thus it was bad because "it's just like all the other games". Not that they improved the formula or that HL2 was stale, but simply "it's the same".

It'd be like if a bunch of good turn-based RPG's came out and saying Fallout 1 sucks as a result because it's the same.

Still have to play HL2, but HL1 was revolutionary at the time, and few other titles emulated it well since.

Reminds me that I still have to try Half Life Echoes, from what I have seen this is a pretty good looking mod with some decent level design.

In general Half Life 1 mods tended to be haphazard at best in the years before Half Life 2 with only a handful of them including some Total Conversion ones that had some real professional planning behind them.

One of them would eventually be released as a commercial product; Gunman Chronicles.

I don't really care about the mods.
What made HL unique at the time is the storytelling. No cutscene, almost no ellipse or teleportation, level design that blends all the separate levels together so much that it doesn't feel like they are separate files, the informations are unfold from your perspective. You learn about what you see and what people you encounter are telling you. The plot move forward action by action, with few objectives other than escape and remove the most immediate threats.

I don't think many other games handled storytelling the same way even two decades after.

Half Life 2 acts more like an engine presentation for at least a third of the game. That's how far I've gotten and I can't continue because I get bored to tears. The game just doesn't do first person shooter stuff :(.

HL 1 and 2 plus the episodes are some of the best shooters and games out there. Shame were probably (Idk if Valve really cares anymore) never getting a conclusion.

I like portal 1/2 quite a lot but im not much of a puzzle game guy so it was the story,aesthetic and characters that drove me through the game more so.

Back