Toons Of The Past

What?! Why?! What could removing a character possibly add to the quality of the show?) ughhhhh

"One character who didn't make the cut in the new "Powerpuff Girls" series? The mayor's red-headed assistant Ms. Bellum.

"We felt like Ms. Bellum wasn't quite indicative of the kind of messaging we wanted to be giving out at this time, so we sort of had her move on," Jennings explained. "And that was a good choice I think on our part."

The Ms. Sara Bellum character was the super-intelligent, capable and apparently beautiful woman (her face was never shown), who for some reason never rose above being the assistant to the generally clueless mayor of Townsville."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-powerpuff-girls-20160401-story.html

She was offensive.

Love the weasel words and lack of clarity there from this Jennings person. "Wasn't quite..." "indicative of the kind of messaging..." "sort of had to..." "I think on our part..."

Have some goddamn conviction if you really think it's a change for the better, you mealy-mouthed piece of crap. End of the day, it's a character in a show, and if we removed every single little thing that someone found offensive, we wouldn't have any shows, because someone always finds something offensive. And the whole point is to show kids that people can be kind of crappy, and that it's up to you how you deal with it. But no, can't have that any more, special snowflakes don't want to be offended.

*sigh* I'd like to get off the world now.

Conan the Adventurer
Oh, damn, I just remembered one, what was it called.....

Mm.....

Oh, I've got it. MASK! Hell yeah, combat racer in animated form :D

Damn I forgot Conan the Adventurer and MASK! I even re-watched the Conan the Adventurer full series cartoon last year :confused:.

EDIT: I was making my previous post all fancy with intro videos... I forgot posts can only have 5 videos on each so after ages of searching for the intros and editing my post I got the message that I can only post stuff with 5 or less videos :irked:.

Well I will post five new ones with videos:
  • Gummi Bears

• The Centurions

• Count Duckula

• Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs

• Ducktales

Once I rattle this old brain of mine I will post more.
I watched more cartoons than I remember :confused:.

Last edited:
Holy crap, Count Duckula, I completely forgot about that one. I loved it
To bad I only got to see the English version and all seasons years after I saw the Dutch dubbed version.

I used to love the Spider-Man animated series from the 90s as a kid. In retrospective it wasn't actually that good and the more recent Spectacular Spider-Man was far, far better but at the time it was totally radical.

Most cartoons from cartoon network before it changed is logo, incluind the original powerpuff girls. Let´s hope the samurai jack reboot doesn´t suffer the same fate. Still, c. network has a few good ones today, adventure time, steven universe and gravity falls come to mind.

Outside of cartoon network there´s rick and morty, I know it´s recent, but it´s still very amusing and the venture bros is funny. There´s also Archer, which I love, not sure if it still counts has recent, its been on air for a while.

I may not have watched most of these toons as a kid but just the intros have created nostalgia that I don't even have...

Last edited:
I forget if this was mentioned but Silver Hawks was a fav or mine as a kid. Pretty sure it was done by the people as Thunder Cats.

Heh, forgot about this thread.

Invader zim was great.

Futurama too.

Rick and Morty is my newest favorite sci-fi toon:

I don't know, because no one else here has heard of them or can understand?
So? I'd never heard of the gummi bears before this thread. Now I have. Post the name of the show and the intro. Now that I know there's something to know I can't not know because you know that I don't already know you know?

So? I'd never heard of the gummi bears before this thread. Now I have. Post the name of the show and the intro. Now that I know there's something to know I can't not know because you know that I don't already know you know?
Umm, most of the ones I like are one-offs based on Russian fairy tales.

Pirate of Dark Water

This used to be one of my absolute favorite shows as a kid. I was so used to cheaper Hanna Barbera slapstick kiddie cartoons, that this one absolutely blew me away with it's depth of characters, it's lore, and worldbuilding. Even beat the game for it on Genesis. Exosquad, mentioned earlier, was another one that really hooked me.

And since nobody else has mentioned it yet,

I used to watch this all the time when I was younger, especially since I liked Star Trek TNG and it had Frakes and Sirtis voicing two the major antagonists.

Also, I don't really make a distinction between "cartoon" and "anime", so here's something a bit different for this thread, and sorry if it goes against the spirit of the discussion.

This was one of my favorite shows on Adult Swim back in the day. Damned I miss Satoshi Kon, or a time when people like Satoshi Kon could exist, rather than everyone wanting to just pump out moe high-school shit for the NEET whales to buy mechandise of.

If you haven't seen Tokyo Godfathers yet, you're missing out on something truly special.

Back