Troubleshooting FAQ, for technical help

I don't have the ddraw.ini file in my FO1 folder, so I can't do that change to Mode=0 some people suggest.
Sfall for first Fallout doesn't support graphics modes anyway. Don't get confused, that's advice for Fallout 2 with completely different version of sfall mod.

Try this:

Make sure you have latest version of DirectX 9.0c installed:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109#

1. Install clean Fallout
2. Apply any eventual patches
3. Download and install High-Resolution patch, even if you're planning to play with a default 640x480px resolution. There's fix for some graphics issues builded in Hi-Res patch, check the f1_res.ini file afterwards.

Nevermind, I'm such a dumbass.

I had installed Fixt 6.7.3 without installing 6.7.2 first, so it obviously did not fix anything.

I installed 6.7.2 now and it's working fine.

Trouble Installing FALLOUT 2 Mod

Hi, I recently re-installed fallout 2, got the restoration project and managed to figure out how to install an unlimited party mod. now im trying to install a mod that makes ammo and things harder to attain. One was made by Narrin, looks like exactly what im looking for. I moved the file into the scripts folder, but its not worrking. Ive searched google and this website for how-to s and answers and while i know it should be an easy answer, im stumped! Please help! I would greatly appareciate it. Thanks

Damon

Hi there I'm having a music issue i.e. no music , usually I just change the "FO2 config file" but I have the "F2_res config file" instead and "NO FO2 config file" as normal, I've done a search and cannot get any thread in relation to this, any suggestions??

Last edited:
Does anybody here remember if there was a fix to the awfully slow gameplay both Fallout and Fallout 2 have when running on WINE? I really don't want to reboot to Windows to play.

Could somebody fix the link to manual installation of Fo1/2 please? (link on first page is broken)

help i got this error on the opening cut scene

The instruction at 04ee97a a referenced memory at 07e08354
the memory could not read from

help i got this error on the opening cut scene

The instruction at 04ee97a a referenced memory at 07e08354
the memory could not read from
What OS are you running? Have you tried reinstalling or manually installing?

What OS are you running? Have you tried reinstalling or manually installing?
i am running windows 10 and yes i have manually installed and reinstalled it multiple times. and by the way i am running steam

edit: don't double post
Ok i reinstalled it one more time and it works, but now it cant save it just said "Unable to save game".

Last edited by a moderator:
i am running windows 10 and yes i have manually installed and reinstalled it multiple times. and by the way i am running steam

edit: don't double post
Ok i reinstalled it one more time and it works, but now it cant save it just said "Unable to save game".
I'm not well versed in Win10.
Try the solution here: http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-1-won´t-save-game.203391/
Would recommend to only do one step at a time in this order before checking whether it's fixed.
  1. Make sure you have the humongous installation.
  2. Make sure the data and save game folders are not set to read-only.
  3. Try running as administrator.
  4. Try disabling anti-virus.

Yo, been gone a bit from these forums as of late, and have encountered an issue when I try to install Fallout 2 on my (slightly) upgraded computer, now with Windows 10 on it. After installing it and clicking for the game to start, it says:
"Error initializing video mode 640x480"
Trouble is, I am not very tech savvy, so I cannot really tell more details than this. I really want to get to play Killap's RP again.
Thanks in advance.

Yo, been gone a bit from these forums as of late, and have encountered an issue when I try to install Fallout 2 on my (slightly) upgraded computer, now with Windows 10 on it. After installing it and clicking for the game to start, it says:
"Error initializing video mode 640x480"
Trouble is, I am not very tech savvy, so I cannot really tell more details than this. I really want to get to play Killap's RP again.
Thanks in advance.
There's a lot of different suggestions on how to fix this issue all over this forum.
In fact there is one in this very thread on the previous page. If installing the high-resolution patch doesn't work, just search for "video mode 640x480".

Hey Guys! I see there was no post in this thread for a long time now, and I would like to stir it up, because I couldn't manage to find any info on the topic buy googling and searching these forums.

So the problem is, I would like to play Fallout 1 without any modification or patching on original hardware from the era. The game is installed from the original US version CD, and the funny thing is I would like to play it on one of my old machines.

The specs:

ASUS-CUSL2-C motherboard
Celeron 700Mhz CPU
512MB SD PC-100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX 440 VGA
and a Sound Blaster compatible sound card
Windows 98 SE

After doing a huge install, and starting the game, it hangs and freezes after the please stand by loading page, on the intro movie with the little spaceship orbiting. Now the more interesting thing is, installing it on an even more antique hardware

Zida 5dhx motherboard
P1 166MhZ CPU
32MB EDO RAM
S3 Virge DX2 VGA
and a Sound Blaster compatible sound card
Windows 98 SE

The game can start up, and it is running like a charm. I know i should play it on this one because it is more close to the era, but I have sentimental attachments to the previous machine, and as I remember, I could run it totally fine back in the days.

My question is, do you remember something, that can cause issues with "newer" hardware setups?? Answer would be much appreciated. Additional info, on both hardware every driver is installed to the "latest" and also they have DirectX 9.0c "latest" that can run on Windows 98 :)

This is my first post, so I think I have this in the right forum.

Anyways, Fallout 1, I encounter this error every time when i try to load into my save:

nmaerror.png

I was messing around with Falche to create this absolute sin of a character with everything maxed the feck out of.
I have Fallout Fixt installed with the full install. So, Fallout Fixt v0.81 alpha (SFALL v1.2). My PC stats are put below:

specs.png

(Sorry if this isn't enough)

I looked around the files for help PDFs, but nothing came up. And this may be something that only I have (I dunno). Please help, I'm drowning in my piles of RAM trying to figure this out. Thanks.

EDIT: Lmao I completely forgot to mention I'm running Windows 10 Home. (If it wasn't obvious to some)
EDIT #2: I installed the Fallout Fixt on top of the Steam version.

I was wondering if it was possible to run FO1 on MacBook, with Fixt. Is this at all possible? Let alone even get the right stuff to install it? Without using Bootcamp or buying the stupid expensive MacPlay version. I was also thinking about installing a VM software, VirtualBox since thats what I have been using for a long time now, and then add a Windows OS, THEN install Steam, THEN install Fallout, THEN install Fixt. Right?

Last edited:
I recently ran into a ending bug that's unrelated to the sound acceleration issue. The problem is that the game goes back to the main menu after the oil rig explodes. The solution was posted by NovaRain in this topic by another user who had the same problem. https://nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-2-ending-bug.218161/ So I wanted to request that this gets added to the sticky for anyone else who might have this problem one day.

Back