Underrail

Going by the one of the dialogs in the starting area (I think a metal armored guard NPC mentioned it) that Protectorate faction has power suits and that some Melek guy is wearing it.
Alright. Now I'm interested. But for now I need that metal armor blueprint damnit!

if i recall correctly Melek is the general of the protectorate. go pickpocket him :D

Darn game lacks any proper guides yet and no way yet to spawn in items, let alone a map tool to do the spawning so I've been trying to kill that one SGS Sentry (to get his suit of armor) with stealth but no matter what, the starting faction turns hostile. Besides that metal armor ain't that good in terms of action points and armor penalty even with my super character (cheat engine to the rescue!). So I guess I'm off to find someone with a power suit.

Mind you I've barely started any quests (still need to get those 5 outposts). Been hiding, stealing, bartering, crafting and finding stuff for crafting about 11+ hours of that. :shock:

I haven't tried it yet. I've heard that the writing is generally bad.

Good gameplay will save a bad story, and bad art; bad gameplay will ruin the best story and art... Gameplay seems to be well thought of, so I hope it's good; I'll see when I get a chance to try it out..

Going by the one of the dialogs in the starting area (I think a metal armored guard NPC mentioned it) that Protectorate faction has power suits and that some Melek guy is wearing it.
Alright. Now I'm interested. But for now I need that metal armor blueprint damnit!

if i recall correctly Melek is the general of the protectorate. go pickpocket him :D

Darn game lacks any proper guides yet and no way yet to spawn in items, let alone a map tool to do the spawning so I've been trying to kill that one SGS Sentry (to get his suit of armor) with stealth but no matter what, the starting faction turns hostile. Besides that metal armor ain't that good in terms of action points and armor penalty even with my super character (cheat engine to the rescue!). So I guess I'm off to find someone with a power suit.

Mind you I've barely started any quests (still need to get those 5 outposts). Been hiding, stealing, bartering, crafting and finding stuff for crafting about 11+ hours of that. :shock:

*finds a small outpost thingy with Protectorate soldiers pretty much 3-5 tile maps away from the starting area after spending an hour or two searching for just them in the lower sections of the game world* :facepalm: Epic "LOL" moment though.

EDIT: Wiped the floor with those soldiers at the embassy (many deaths and tries though) and then found out that an area nearby the entrance (one map down) has a vendor that sells metal helmet, metal armor, riot gear and blueprints for them. I feel like an idiot and I can imagine that fixer/doctor guy outside running to my character and asking: "Why the blazes you kill 'em for!?!" and my character says "I needed a suit of armor, they just got in my way" and then the fixer responds "YOU WHAT!?! We got a vendor just over there who sells blueprints for those!".
:facepalm:

Last edited:
The writing is not very good no, but the gameplay is stellar.

Not sure about writing yet but the gameplay is indeed stellar. Last time I remember having so much fun setting up my character (a super character yes, but the background of how he/she became a meta-human is still important to me) and then getting and crafting gear and then some is, well.. actually come to think of it. I've never actually experienced something quite like this so this is a first for me.

To me the game is a mix of Fallout 1, Metro, Arx Fatalis and X-Com Apocalypse. I mean you can turn off the ingame loop music go somewhere desolate in Underrail and start listen to this instead:

..and the world ceases to be and you feel like the last human hiding underground from some alien invasion (come on, the game even makes a reference/easter egg to Starship Troopers with a guy cutting up a big bug creature on the table).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently trying to find the drill parts in the junkyard.
My biggest gripes are the lack of any emotional investment by the player (there is nothing that makes you care about what you do) and the difficulty level (there's basically no way of knowing for sure if you've ventured into an area of overpowered enemies or not, until you die in 1-2 combat rounds).

My biggest gripes are the lack of any emotional investment by the player (there is nothing that makes you care about what you do) and the difficulty level (there's basically no way of knowing for sure if you've ventured into an area of overpowered enemies or not, until you die in 1-2 combat rounds).

I'm at the drill parts too. Saved my game first to do a simulation run (needed to unlock TNT charge) to see if I can get my hands on that one power suit I read about on the wiki but nope, the thing is literally locked behind a quest wall (no way to open the door to the area unless the particular quest has been initiated). That to me is just, bleh.. the game lacks the dialog options to tell "Wait a minute, I've actually been there and already have it. Is this the thing?" and so is more linear due to it.

I'm at the drill parts too. Saved my game first to do a simulation run (needed to unlock TNT charge) to see if I can get my hands on that one power suit I read about on the wiki but nope, the thing is literally locked behind a quest wall (no way to open the door to the area unless the particular quest has been initiated). That to me is just, bleh.. the game lacks the dialog options to tell "Wait a minute, I've actually been there and already have it. Is this the thing?" and so is more linear due to it.

What power suit you're talking about? there's only metal armors around junkyard. You start to get real badass equipment only in Core city.
However, after the drill part (about 10-20% of the main quest), the game open up a LOT, you are litterally covered with thing to do and places to see (people to talk also).

What power suit you're talking about? there's only metal armors around junkyard. You start to get real badass equipment only in Core city.
However, after the drill part (about 10-20% of the main quest), the game open up a LOT, you are litterally covered with thing to do and places to see (people to talk also).

This thing: Protectorate Dreadnought ..or were those things removed from the game or something? I wasn't in the junkyard to get that mech suit, I was planting a TNT charge to go north from Milton's camp, west from the next area and then south that needed another TNT charge and up came exactly the place I was looking for but the only entrance to it is locked.

That's in the Junkyard? Hah. That'd surely make my struggle a bit easier if I could find it. ;)

That's in the Junkyard? Hah. That'd surely make my struggle a bit easier if I could find it. ;)

What? No, it's in the lower underrail caves and you need two TNT charges to blow the rocks but as I said, to access the door one needs to have joined with the Protectorate and a few quests of theirs done until that one particular quest is initiated, going by the wiki of course. :confused: Man this game needs a proper item locations guide done by someone because surely that can't be the only place of that mech suit.

Unless I'm missing something and you can access that garage door with some item not tied to a quest. You see the door has a dialog option when you click on it but when you first get to it there is only the cancel/leave option and the switch next to it is stuck.

EDIT: I'm aware that more power suits are probably in Fort Apogee but I'm trying to figure out where could the player get a suit the quickest. And mind you, I'm quite frustrated because I really wanna try out that suit but due to my nature I'm unable to read properly ingame when I'm focused on getting something I need to have so it'd help a big time to get to one of those suits early.

Last edited:

What? No, it's in the lower underrail caves and you need two TNT charges to blow the rocks but as I said, to access the door one needs to have joined with the Protectorate and a few quests of theirs done until that one particular quest is initiated, going by the wiki of course. :confused: Man this game needs a proper item locations guide done by someone because surely that can't be the only place of that mech suit.

Unless I'm missing something and you can access that garage door with some item not tied to a quest. You see the door has a dialog option when you click on it but when you first get to it there is only the cancel/leave option and the switch next to it is stuck.

EDIT: I'm aware that more power suits are probably in Fort Apogee but I'm trying to figure out where could the player get a suit the quickest. And mind you, I'm quite frustrated because I really wanna try out that suit but due to my nature I'm unable to read properly ingame when I'm focused on getting something I need to have so it'd help a big time to get to one of those suits early.

mmmh, where are you in the main quest?
As for the dreadnought, i didn't know that you can use them

right now I'm mucking about in a simulation mode (saved the actual progress of the game before messing in Junkyard to get the drill parts), just found out that I have access to core city.. hmmm, Fort Apogee it is then. :ugly: Mwhahaha!

right now I'm mucking about in a simulation mode (saved the actual progress of the game before messing in Junkyard to get the drill parts), just found out that I have access to core city.. hmmm, Fort Apogee it is then. :ugly: Mwhahaha!

"Hi, I want one of these dreadnought."
"b-but they're not for sale"
KABLAAAM
:ugly:

Oh for crying out loud! Took me about an hour to wipe the floor with the soldiers in Fort Apogee and not a SINGLE empty dreadnought but then again I didn't start hearing that humming noise in the barracks until after like 20+ something turns so... fuck.

EDIT: And the process to join the Protectorate after the drill parts goes something like this I wager: Do quests for the mayor in Rail Crossing until you get Lost Train quest then kill the free drone bandits during the quest and it is then you should be able to join Protectorate.. don't know when you get that quest in the Protectorate to access that one fucking place in the caves.. come on it's a GARAGE DOOR! If a tnt charge blows up rocks then why oh why can't I do the same with the damn door. It seems that the only place where to get the suit is in that one - fucking - place. *multiple head desks* I absolutely loathe when games do that. I had the same issue in Mad Max when trying to get that V8 motor. Had to take a week off for therapy and recuparete.

EDIT2: At least the silver lining with Underrail is that even though my dude lacks that mech suit, he's actually more badass in a metal armor, with some more quality components in the armor and same with the main weapon (Scoped Compensated 8.6mm Huszar using W2C rounds). That one-hour trial-and-error battle with the Protectorate was epic and that showed me that my guy isn't a human but Richard B. Riddick enhanced.

Last edited:
I did a tank build, assault rifles\sniper and melee. It's a lot effective, with the right perks you really became nearly an unstoppable force.
But i heard that psionic builds are the most badass.

I did a tank build, assault rifles\sniper and melee. It's a lot effective, with the right perks you really became nearly an unstoppable force.
But i heard that psionic builds are the most badass.

Psionics made it alot easier to take down those Protectorate soldiers, they tend to group together and I pyro blasted them and used the forcefield to block the snipers and dreadnoughts and used melee close quarters and my main gun long range and secondary attacks included neural overload and pyro streams.

How do I decompose old pistol via crafting skill, guys? Bought/read blueprints already, got proper skill, the only thing I can't figure out is GUI - where I shall click or place the item? :question:

How do I decompose old pistol via crafting skill, guys? Bought/read blueprints already, got proper skill, the only thing I can't figure out is GUI - where I shall click or place the item? :question:

What happen if you put it in the slot on the crafting menu?

Nothing, I can't put it there. Slots are marked according to the parts needed - frame, barrel, enhancement. You can choose which parts would be new weapon crafted from, looks like this is not intended for disassembling though. Halp, I found two or three weapons with attached parts as laser sight or scope and I need those parts badly!

edit: Crap, special feat is needed for disassembling, according to wiki:
http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Blueprint:_Disassemble_Item
I hate when game comes without manual, what a nasty manners on author's part! All right guys, nothing to see here, move along. :oops:

Last edited:
Back