Vault 11...do you think *spoilers*

No-bark isn't exactly the youngest person in the wasteland.

I've just finished Vault 11. I've seen dark and depressing stuff before, but this takes the take. Superb execution too.

The guy in the recording who didn't shoot himself sounded older. I'm sure he'd have died by the time you discover the Vault.

I didn't pay attention to any of the dates in Vault 11 and also presumed that the survivor was likely NoBark. One of the voices on a recording in there was definitely the same voice/actor and I figured all that trauma could definitely have made him insane.

Has anyone gone through checking the dates to be very sure of the time line of vault 11?

I think it's no-bark. I talked with a rancher near Novac, and she said he's been in Novak for so long that no one remembers his origional name. And with what happened in Vault 11, that would make anyone loopy...

[spoiler:1cf0c994f7]It might be a guy in Casa Madrid Apartments... Or not... After all, he has a Pip Boy...[/spoiler:1cf0c994f7]

Just did this and was pretty impressed as well. Great piece of storytelling.

Only thing I disliked was the critters there which just felt out of place. If there had been a journal or two more scattered around the place, I think they could've done away with the mantises and rats completely. That would've been more eerie.

But yeah, superb location.

What bugged me, was that they didn't start a rigorous breeding programme. If you know that you will lose one dweller each year, you could easily compensate (in say a population of 150 -200) and let the oldest one go "into the light". Sustainable forever.

^ I got the impression that they did, given how many kids that one candidate on the list had ("I'm a father of six beautiful kids so you shouldn't choose me"). Probably most of them died not because of having to sacrifice one each year, but because of the armed conflict that broke out near the end.

schatzi said:
What bugged me, was that they didn't start a rigorous breeding programme. If you know that you will lose one dweller each year, you could easily compensate (in say a population of 150 -200) and let the oldest one go "into the light". Sustainable forever.

I guess it boils down to the number of people in the vault. Still, a vault can have a population of 1000, sacrificing one per year isn't a big deal. The story that the vault would be empty one day was pretty stupid.

Vault 11 was definitely one of my top locations/quests. That's the type of stuff I play games for.

They were never bothered about losing population, they were driven to extremes by the societal trauma of picking somebody to die every year.

Zeronet said:
They were never bothered about losing population, they were driven to extremes by the societal trauma of picking somebody to die every year.

Well, the trigger was the change in selection procedure, but yeah.

Honestly, Vault 11 was the only vault I thought was really interesting. As a concept, it was maxed out on the creep factor. But actually going through the vault, it's all dead with some random bugs to kill.

It seems like the Vaults in NV tend to have a more interesting theory behind them, but the Vaults in F3 were much better executed.

As much as the concept when talking about the "Gary" vault sounds stupid, late one night, slowly moving through the dungeon to the sound of "Gary....", then two of the same guy jump you. It's quite creepy. Then there's the vault where you start having hallucinations and the pristine tranquility lane vault.

In FNV, the Blue vs. Red could have been fascinating... but instead it was just a bunch of powder gangers hanging out. Then the fiends were just hanging out in another vault. The irradiated boomer vault was fun as a generic dungeon with the radiation meter constantly on your mind (especially if you went into it unprepared, like I did), but there was nothing "creepy vault"-like about it. The plant vault might have been interesting if the plant people didn't stand in place while you mowed them down (yeah, I went there).

I guess the point is that the vaults in NV are all pretty much dead already. Vault 11's story is amazing, and the high point on FNV, imho, but the FNV vaults were all archeology.

I didn't find the Gary Vault creepy all that much. I thought it was just plain stupid, along with the Vaults back story. I thought Vault 22 was well done though personally with a decent back story. I like when the writers set up an interesting back story and less about being creepy.

In Fallout 1 and 2, the Vaults were much closer to NV than they were to FO3. FO1 and 2 had the experiments for the vaults more subtle, or at least they had finished. The original games had vaults where the doors opened early, where they were intended to stay closed for a much longer time, where they had to repopulate the wasteland, and so forth. There were some sillier ones mentioned in the bible, but they weren't in the game (at least as locations you could visit).

FO3--
"Here's a Vault experiment.... EVERYONE IS ONE GUY AND THEY ALL SAY GARY! Spooooooooky!"
"Nice, bro! Here's another.... let's take the concept of the hallucinogenic vault from the Fallout Bible.... and make everyone inside an AWARD-WINNING MUSICIAN! It makes sense, right?

Back