Vault City Canon Ending

Found on fallout gamepedia:"I've asked Chris Avellone about it. He explicitly stated that his is not a canon answer, but he felt that Vault City could not remain independent, there was too much stuff stacked against it."

http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Talk:Vault_City

If you think about it Reddings joined Ncr in canon ending.Vault City is unpopular because of slavery, they only give citizenship to a minority.They are way too arrogan imo to stay independant.

Last edited:
I think canonically everything fell under the banner of NCR, so Redding, Reno and Vault City all got annexed. Which is good because Vault City is horrible.

As to which of the endings of being annexed by NCR is canon, I don't know. But Cass in New Vegas and Ulysses in Lonesome Road talk about Vault City in relation to it being "The West". Obviously it is west of Vegas, but "The West" is also used all the time in New Vegas to refer to NCR. Ulysses talks about how the Courier ran trades routes which involved Vault City and Cass in one of her endings moves there. An NCR citizen who believes in the ideals of her country even if they screw up a lot and the daughter of Cassidy from Fallout 2 a man who experienced how horrible Vault City was first hand probably wouldn't move there if nothing had changed and it was independent. She probably would have moved to part of NCR instead. NCR annexation seems like what happened.

It's the ending where the Chosen One, Lenny and Marcus all equipped Improved Flamers and roasted every single citizen there, extra crispy.

Source: My last playthrough.

I don't get this obsession with canon ending of an RPG.
They were clever enough in FoNV to confirm the least things as possible from Fo2, to allow us, players, to consider that our choices in Fo2 remain relevant, and you want to remove that clever move. Sure some things are more likely than others, but the fact that almost nothing was outright confirmed is something to be proud of them.

On the Fallout wiki Vault City, Redding, and many other locations are listed as states of NCR.
What this is based on, I don't know. When I tried to use game-info to find out the future status of VC, SF and Reno, I came to the conclusion that for all we knew, they were all independent. But the list includes at least VC as a state.

Then I did a random lil Google search, check this out
L4gOb.png

Neat as hell! Did someone on NMA make this??

I tried to make something similar with a map of USA with all municipalities outlined, but I got carried away with a lot of minor factions, and confuzzled in the end. This makes me wanna give it another shot.

The only issue in terms of "absolute acuracy" is that it is unlikely that a future America would need-want-have to follow old borders, and most likely would use "marshes" or buffer zones, and rather "fuzzy" borders instead of sharp lines, kindov like medieval geopolitics.

Last edited:
Are the Shi independent? I thought the NCR presidential Vertibird implied they were part of the NCR?

I like to think that Vault City got overrun by Ghouls and that Harold is ruling it, and then some crazy tree mutant convinced himself that he was harold and wandered the wastes in dementia.

Are the Shi independent? I thought the NCR presidential Vertibird implied they were part of the NCR?

I came to the same conclusion myself, there seems to be no indication that Shi comes under NCR control. They are also not on the list of NCR states, wherever that list comes from, does anybody know?

I guess they have what they need in terms of self determination - a large population, think of all those living on the beaches - we can assume they fish, so, plenty of food.

I also find Modoc interesting, as humble a community it is, but if you imagine the post-game dynamics, the slag-community uniting with Modoc (per NPC count, the slags are numerous, maybe even more so than Modoc itself, I haven't counted exactly), either way, the unification would nearly - or maybe entirely double the size of Modoc.

Most curious though, I am of Arroyo. That end-game picture looks so amazing every time, but all we ever get to see is that cut off bridge...

I like to think that Vault City got overrun by Ghouls and that Harold is ruling it, and then some crazy tree mutant convinced himself that he was harold and wandered the wastes in dementia.

Wait, what, Harold was... in... no... the memories... no! NOOOOO!

Well Emily Orthal, a Follower of the Apocalypse, states that she is from Arroyo and that it is a bustling community.

Well Emily Orthal, a Follower of the Apocalypse, states that she is from Arroyo and that it is a bustling community.

Well, sure, like I said, the post-game image looks amazing
latest
, and obviously, I count that as canon!

On my very first playthrough, oh, how I ran back - to bask in the delight that was the new and reenvigorated Arroyo! :D

Hey, bridges take long to rebuild.

I wish they had done a "California" DLC dealing with a few of the towns from the first and second games, would've been it's own game tho.

Hey, bridges take long to rebuild.

I wish they had done a "California" DLC dealing with a few of the towns from the first and second games, would've been it's own game tho.

with the enormous distances between each settlement, they would have to focus on one at the time.
But yeah, I think most of us have wanted to experience Klamath and VC and such in first person perspective.

VC especially would be interesting, because it is so lush and green - and despite the fascist backdrop, a seemingly pleasant place. I always felt a bit unnerved by all those NCR cops, and their zero-tolerance for waving your gunz around. It's just my gun, what's the big deal, all those other savage shitholes allow it!

To be honest, I wouldn't want to see Fo1/Fo2 locations recreated in first person purely for the reason that it would ruin my sense of scale.

To me, Fo1/Fo2 was very believable in terms of the distance between towns and the size of the towns themselves.Recreating them in first person would inevitably mean sizing everything down to make it work in the engine.What is intended to be a bustling capital city such as the Hub or NCR would be a disappointingly sized collection of about ten poorly modelled buildings with 20 NPCs wandering aimlessly in and out of them. (Solitude in a Skyrim is a good example of this)

Well it wouldn't be so much recreating them 1 to 1 (in case they are for a DLC) but more of a Future version of them, like Shady Sands changed a lot between 1 and 2, maybe it could've been fun to visit New Arroyo or something, have quests there. Not necessary, and at this point is kind of just a pointless dream because DLC support for New Vegas has been over for a long time.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to see Fo1/Fo2 locations recreated in first person purely for the reason that it would ruin my sense of scale.

To me, Fo1/Fo2 was very believable in terms of the distance between towns and the size of the towns themselves.Recreating them in first person would inevitably mean sizing everything down to make it work in the engine.What is intended to be a bustling capital city such as the Hub or NCR would be a disappointingly sized collection of about ten poorly modelled buildings with 20 NPCs wandering aimlessly in and out of them. (Solitude in a Skyrim is a good example of this)

I imagine most of these locations as allready scaled down. NCR is completely walled in, in the game it has like 10 structures in the city centre, of which... none are residential. What kind of city is that? So I always imagine the residential buildings being "elsewhere", "nearby"
So, a 1st person version of NCR could have included all the buildings from 2, and then expanded with newly envisioned residential areas, for example.
Also - since we're dreaming this up, why not look away from the Bethesda approach - and imagine a more GTA approach - a truly vast explorable VC or NCR, with a similarily-scaled wasteland surrounding (think GTA5)

Back