Earth

Vault Senior Citizen
Thread for talkin' about all the great voice actors over the years. We talk about Tim Cain, and Leonard Boyarsky, and Sawyer and Avellone and the developers and writers a lot, but I'd like to open a thread cataloguing all the voice talent who brought all the great characters to life. So who's your favourite actor in the series? And why?

My first nod is to the wonderful late Tony Jay, for his work as the Lieutenant in Fallout. Can we talk about the fact that him being a super mutant SUBVERTED EXPECTATIONS? For real though, after encountering Harry, most players would assume that the Super Mutants were indeed just big, dumb mindless orcs. Lou would be the important detail changing that, and Jay was a perfect use of a specific voice to change the way we looked at the Hulk wannabes. Jay was perfectly cast as Jean-Claude Frollo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame movie because he has that eloquent, sonorous voice typically heard more from priests and wizards. So when you hear it from a cyborg monster, your entire understanding of what the Super Mutants represent changes. They are no longer a physical force to be reckoned with, but an intellectual one also.

(Also, I know it's taboo to bring it up here, but I thought Jay did a fine job as the narrator and villain Attis in Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. It was cool that he came back to the series even if it didn't exactly give him the best material to work with).

My second is to Jeff Bennett, who voiced Loxley, also in Fallout. Did Fallout need a Robin Hood character leading a Thieve's Guild? Probably not, but here he is and damn did he leave an impression. The most important thing an actor can be is memorable, and I will never forget the line, "What the bloody, bloody, bloody hell are you doing here!?" A mix of fun writing and fantastic delivery.

Oh cool. I wasn't aware of this archive.

I appreciate that a lot of the emphasis on casting in Fallout has been based on their previous voice work (or being on Star Trek). But yeah, just about everyone in the casts have prolific careers before and after.

Wait a minute, Tandi was Penny from Inspector Gadget? Holy shit!

And Rhombus was the Kurgan in Highlander; Cabbot was Bull from Night Court. Morpheus was Dillinger/Sark in Tron. Decker was Goliath in Gargoyles; Jain was Dot on Animaniacs. John Maxon was Megatron—and Fred from Scooby-Doo.

The Overseer was Franz Liebkind in the Producers. Harold was Buster Bunny from Tiny Toons. Killian Darkwater was MacGyver, and Jack O'Neill from SG1. Of course... Aradesh was Monk.

Not Fallout, but you might like this:
Jeff Bennet & Tony Jay & Rob Paulson:

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation. Love a game with a sense of humour.

Do we know how and why there was such a great cast? It's not really brought up much in interviews with the developers.

EDIT: So Elder Maxson was a dog in the kid's TV show Arthur...

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv-shows/Arthur/Pal/

Last edited:
@Sgt. Dornan Peter Jason was in Prince of Darkness? And They Live? Damn this guy's been in cool films. I love actors like him. Character actors whom only the cult fans appreciate, but he's always great in everything he does.

@Gizmojunk I couldn't find any details on the behind the scenes of the casting. But I did find one bit of interesting trivia. Jamie Thomason, the voice director, and Julie Morgavi the voice talent coordinator apparently later got married. Now I dunno if they met on the set of Fallout or anything, but you never know...

Also both of them have had pretty big voice direction careers at Disney, so like the voice actors it's amazing that the original Fallouts had access to them. In my brain I always imagine Fallout being this little game made by a bunch of nerds in a small studio, probably because its budget was so small compared to today's AAA titles, but you really get the sense looking at these details of how big of a deal Fallout was at the time.

In my brain I always imagine Fallout being this little game made by a bunch of nerds in a small studio, probably because its budget was so small compared to today's AAA titles, but you really get the sense looking at these details of how big of a deal Fallout was at the time.
This is not voice related, but it's an utter trove of Fallout details.

Also, when he shows the Fallout prototype video, I created and uploaded that video to my Youtube account; which is presumably where he found it. ;)

Holy smokes now this guy has had quite a career.
I just saw that he was cast as "Spock Screams", in
Star Trek: The Search For Spock.

Last edited:
I love voice actors for some reason. Some of them impress me so much. I had no idea about that website behindthevoiceactors. I love this, especially when they include the clips.
Jim Cummings was more than one character in Fallout and he was Cat (and many others) on Catdog and even a Courage the Cowardly Dog villain. He was most known for Pooh but I didn't realize the voice of Pooh did all this other stuff.

I love voice actors for some reason. Some of them impress me so much. I had no idea about that website behindthevoiceactors. I love this, especially when they include the clips.
Jim Cummings was more than one character in Fallout and he was Cat (and many others) on Catdog and even a Courage the Cowardly Dog villain. He was most known for Pooh but I didn't realize the voice of Pooh did all this other stuff.

They're on the periphery of celebrity, so while a lot of their work is under-appreciated, they do sometimes develop cult followings. Well-deserved usually, considering that your average voice actor will do a ton more projects than an average actor will.

Back