Vostok Games announced F2P MMO Survarium

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Vostok Games - a studio founded by ex S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 developers - has announced Survarium, a post-apocalyptic F2P MMO.<blockquote>Survarium is a free2play MMOFPS game set in the near future. The game focuses on a mass- scale ecological catastrophe on Earth, the reasons behind vaguely known.

Impassable woods advance onto cities from every side, maddened animals and birds attack industrial complexes, military structures, warehouses and power plants. Towns are cut off from each other, there are no water supplies, no electricity, gas, communication is lost. Countries collapse, anarchy spreads throughout the world. Now force dictates who to survive. In the meantime, new species of greenery and animals purposely destroy human civilization. Strange plants and mushrooms grow through concrete and steel. Scientists all over the world haplessly try to cope with the anomaly sprawling across the Earth with terrifying speed.

"The concept of Survarium is a next evolution step for the idea of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. we’ve been working on for the last ten years. – said Project Lead Ruslan Didenko. – Survarium will go way further forcing mankind to fight for survival not only within the closed area of Chernobyl zone, but also far beyond."

"Technology versus nature, rational versus mystical. Such a confrontation enables us to take a new look at the current happenings in our world, - said Aleksey Sytianov, Lead Game Designer of the project. – Survarium will offer players an atmospheric world of civilization crash, filled with factions and loners, stalkers and hunters surviving in a wild anomalous environment."

The game is developed on a new proprietary Vostok Engine technology and is planned for release on PC at the end of 2013.</blockquote>(Former?) social media manager for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Joe Mullin describes it like this:<blockquote>despite no official continuation of Stalker 2. it looks like the ideas and spirit will live on in the team's new game – “Survarium”</blockquote>

Sounds interesting. I don't care for MMO's that much though.

Hopefully it can come close to the fun and polish that WOW has. At the same time, MMO's can get rather boring and most of them are shit.

mmoFPS. It's not just another wow clone. I really liked the Stalker setting but this new direction sounds great as well. I just hope the maddened animals are also in some kind of stalker fashion and not too fantasy-like.

WOW was neat because Blizzard was able to exploit a rich game world (Warcraft), take in features from other successful MMO's while continuing to innovate with their own thought up features or at least versions of them. I hope they do something similar because it works quite well. But WOW clones are the worst!

goffy59 said:
WOW was neat because Blizzard was able to exploit a rich game world (Warcraft), take in features from other successful MMO's while continuing to innovate with their own thought up features or at least versions of them. I hope they do something similar because it works quite well. But WOW clones are the worst!

First you say WoW borrows it's features from other MMO's and then you say you hate WoW clones? Whats up with that?

Also, am i the only one that finds the name of the game a bit lacking... in effort?

I'd just want it to be a coop stalker and hopefully as far away from WoW as possible. I don't want to kill supermonster x hundreds of times for it to drop a scope for my VAL...that's not immersion and immersion is what the game hopefully will be.

Kull said:
I don't want to kill supermonster x hundreds of times for it to drop a scope for my VAL...that's not immersion and immersion is what the game hopefully will be.

:rofl: Could you imagine... nah, let's just hope this one doesn't happen.

At least one thing is definitely good. Vostok games sounds better than GSC Game World. :P

http://twitter.com/#/gscstalker

Looks like the rights are owned by GSC Game World's founder Sergiy Grygorovych.
Fuggin' MMO? No thanks. I always wanted co-op for S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but not like this. Unless it's simply revolutionary(and therefore not really a "MMO") I think it's just going to be another turd on the pile of shit.

Wow, oh wow.

Stalker 2 is now either a free2play MMO or being developed by Bethesda.

In other news Josef Mengele has been moninated posthumously for the Nobel Peace Prize.

This is how you distil and refine glittering gems.

cant say that I have seen in Stalker this uber-shooter-awesome game anyway. I liked it, though particularly the last half of the game was pretty boring. Mindless coridor shooter. The addons have been alright. But when it comes to story telling the Stalker games always "missed" something no clue.

So I cant say I was waiting for Stalker 2 like it would have been the new jesus christ super star or something.

But I sure would have welcome Stalker 2 much more then any "FP MMO" that wants to get in the same direction. MMOs are usually about grinding, collecting phat loot. Not playing a story. I also cant see my self really immersed in such a setting when its some kind of MMO. And those F2P MMOs usually can be called as well "endless grinding". I have only played World of Tanks (another russian F2P arcade game). And if there is one memory I have? Grinding. It can be fun sometimes. But usually without money those games are not that enjoyable. So I will wait and see how the Stalker MMO (kinda) will be like. But I dont expect here something that I would really like.

I would have hopend more for a quality singlerplayer/coop game.

Stalker is kind of like Tarkovsky' movie Stalker - it's easy to dismiss it as boring, incoherent, disjointed and uninteresting. Not everybody can learn to like it.

Every MMO leads to the trivialization of it's subject matter. Stalker was based around the post-apocalyptic soviet atmosphere. Also fear and vigilance. You can't create a horror MMO. ESPECIALLY a free2play one that'll be full of 13 year old boys.

archont said:
Stalker is kind of like Tarkovsky' movie Stalker - it's easy to dismiss it as boring, incoherent, disjointed and uninteresting. Not everybody can learn to like it.
I never seen the movie so I cant really say anything about it. But the thing is that well, Stalker was at some point boring, incoherent, disjointed and uninteresting because that is what it was. I am talking here from the perspective of a "game", and I am not trying to compare it here to a movie.

Take the brainmelter or the mission in Pripjat. If that is not the prime example of some corridor-doom-like-rampage-FPS then I don't know what.

I expected a different open world gameplay. And the first half of the game was somewhat about that. But even then one has to admit that those stupid silly missions "collect artifact A and bring it to B on the other side of the world ...". Something that could be straight out of Oblivion (Bethesda game), except that you don't have a fast travel function in Stalker.

I am not saying it was not a fun game. But it was not more then a simple shooter my eyes.

The mistake I made was that I got "hyped" for Stalker. Hyped by reading informations (approx before the 5 years of development ...) where they talked about creating the most realistic view on the zone, giving the player NO limits (in forms of fences and such ...), the ability to use vehicles, like cars even helicopters. They wanted to do a non linear non scripted unique quest system based on factions and no clue what else.

In other words they really talked pretty big. What they delivered was not "shit", but it was not what they talked about those years either. For those of us that still remember it, it was not more then "Stalker light".

And I am not even talking here about the fact that a game should not use the same principle like movies.

Movies get many of their qualities trough the visuals and how those are presented - it is a visual medium.

Games go with gameplay because it is an interactive medium.

Viliny said:
goffy59 said:

First you say WoW borrows it's features from other MMO's and then you say you hate WoW clones? Whats up with that?

Also, am i the only one that finds the name of the game a bit lacking... in effort?

I was randomly looking at my posts. Many WOW clones do a piss poor job at implementing borrowed features. Anyhow.... Blizzard looks is though their "golden age" is fading. Diablo 3 was disappointing. There are more features in Diablo 2.

Back