Wasteland 2 Director's Cut is out

Respect points just lost.

Why?

Sure few tracks sound that they were clearly plagiarized, but his overall work is still 10x times better than anything Inon Zur made.

But if Ion Zur made all of his tracks without any plagiarism? I share Toronts opinion, as much as I love Marks tunes but well. However, I have aboslutely no clue if Mark did something wrong here. Music and plagiarism is definitely is not profession. Anyway, geting inspiration from somewhere is completely acceptable, many artists do that. But in some cases it seems almost like a copy paste. But heh, what do I know? Maybe they all bought the same sound package ...

Last edited:
But heh, what do I know? Maybe they all bought the same sound package ...

No, the difference is that he took the harmonies, rhythm and melodies, but synthesized his own sounds (or used sampled sounds from other sources) and added some details of his own (percussion lines, fx sounds, changed tempo, tweaked notes and whatnot). The main body of the works was definitely plagiarized to various degrees, some tracks almost copied bit to bit.

Last edited:
The main body of the works was definitely plagiarized to various degrees, some tracks almost copied bit to bit.
Hasn't this been discussed to death already? It's like 5-6 tracks out of whole Fallout soundtrack. Mark already explained this issue many times in different interviews. The Interplay people gave Mark the cd with unmarked music (Aphex Twin, Brian Eno and some obscure Depeche Mode track) and asked him to rework it in his own style as a demo, to see if what he can do would fit the game. Then, after several years of development, those reworked demo tracks somehow ended up in a final game, even though they weren't supposed to. It's Interplay's mistake, not Marks. I love me some Aphex Twin, but I think Mark Morgan is much better composer, who doesn't need to steal other people's work. Let's face it, his versions sound infinitely better than Aphex Twin's and Eno's originals.
As for slide guitar lick in Gold Slouch, Mark actually worked with Snuffy Walden, who wrote music for "The Stand", and it was Mark who came up with that particular lick. So stop it, please. I know it's normal to overanalyze stuff we love, but this particular topic got old like 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Everything was fine when I first got the game in February, but after installing Director's Cut it's been crashing constantly, especially when accessing the inventory/character screen. Really infuriating, since I love the game but it's just nearly unplayable right now.

I figured out what the downside is for the Animal Husbandry quirk. A random amount of time after the animal joins the party, they will explode like a blood sausage. Not a great quirk. >_>

Also, fuck this game. In the vanilla version, when you create a character it stores that character in the previously created characters, so if I start a new game I can just select a character I had previously made and make changes to it if I want. Now if I start a new game I have to recreate all my characters again. How the hell did they go backwards on this? >_<

Yeah, character creation is really annoying now. Totally feel no motivation to create any.

I was able to kludge it a little bit. Copied my characters from Wasteland 2 Vanilla to the characters directory for Director's Cut and it recognizes them as pre-made characters. When I go to edit, I still have to set all the attributes/skills again, but at least I don't have to redo the character model again. And it uses the costumes that I had previously which is nice because one of them isn't available at character creation in the new one, but it still loads, so the outfit is still in the game somewhere, just not character creation. *shrug*

EDIT: Oh, and I did a search of the save games, and apparently all the character data is stored in the save game file now. Kind of dumb. Probably done that way cuz consoles. :irked:

Hasn't this been discussed to death already? It's like 5-6 tracks out of whole Fallout soundtrack.....

Never heard of it.

There's only 12 notes. Everyone samples everyone at some point.

There are in fact infinitely many notes you can use (in practical terms about 43~ in one temperament system), our current 12 note tempered system is a 300 year old western creation (various cultures use/used anywhere from 5 to over 30).

Last edited:
Did they hand place the loot this time, or is it all random like in the base game? If it is still random, I won't touch it again - in fact, I quit right after Highpool because of this.

Also, random loot in random encounters is ok, EXCEPT for the weapons: if the enemy uses a gun, it should be mine after I kill them. Random bullets, money, etc are ok, but the gun? Oh no, not the gun. It can't just disappear, for God's sake!

And don't give me any "but Makenshi it is for balance". Fuck balance, ok? FUCK balance! Or find another way to do it...

Seems like there's less loot containers around the Radio Tower.
I like the redesign of the outdoor area of The Citadel, it looks more believable now.
Sadly, they didn't redesign the Radio Tower area much. I mean, the raiders there have a toll and a bunch of wastelanders that have died because they couldn't pay the toll, but what doesn't make sense to me is that there is no reason for anyone but the Rangers to go there in the first place so why did the raiders set up a toll at all? All that area contains is one shack, two small caves and a radio tower. If the place had a well or a pond or whatever then the raiders could've set up a toll for people to get access to it. Instead, they're just there for the sake of being there. So, yeah. It'd been better if they had redesigned that area as well so that there was something worth a damn for the raiders to toll people for. Hell, they should've had some people past the raiders that did go through the toll as well. Give a bit more moral ambiguity to it as right now they just come across as nothing more than murderers for the sake of being murderers. Here are some evil guys, just kill 'em.

Anyway, I dislike the new font, it's harder for me to read.

I like that they got rid of the screen within a screen for the shop and character screen but I dislike how many tabs there still are to go through.

Some of the perks are just worthless. It's not about a perk being good on its own merits but whether the perk can stand up as an equal to the others. There will always be perks that are less useful than others but there should never be a perk that is just useless to any and all characters as the other perks are far more viable choices to pick. (+10% damage to animals for example. There ain't 'that' many animals in the game so go with a combat skill perk that is useful to 'all' enemies instead of just a specific type of enemy. Or the Camel perk that gives you more water. Water consumption is only useful for the first part of the game and even then it isn't really difficult to manage, so why waste a perk on that when you can get a perk that is useful for the entire game?) I liked most of the perks though. I just feel like some of the perks were forced in just for the sake of claiming that you have lots of perks to choose from.

Other than that I haven't seen much I have to complain about. It's still Wasteland 2 and I enjoy Wasteland 2 except now it got more character building to it and a slight redesign to some places which is for the better. So, yeah. I like it.

[edit]

I also agree with Makenshi about weapons. If an enemy has a weapon and they die then you should be able to loot it. If the devs want balance then fix it in some other way. Like decreasing max carry weight (which would make the perk that gives more a bit more useful), increase the weight of the weapons, reduce the amount the weapon itself sells for or whatever.

Rant:
One thing I think RPG's with loot should do is to restrict who you can sell what to. There should be general stores that pretty much buys and sells anything but their prices should not always be that good and if you want a good price for your firearm then you should have to go to an arms merchant. I mean, why would a doctor want your toad legs, broken necklaces and pump shotgun anyway? It's a doctor, he wants cashmoney or medical supplies. You can go on and on about how he could resell the stuff to the arms merchant but we don't do that in the real world so why would they do it here?

And limit the amount of money each NPC has on them so that you can't just unload everything you don't want on the first NPC. Make transactions meaningful. Make looting meaningful. Make NPC's that you can barter with meaningful. Make money in itself meaningful.

I heavily dislike the streamlined approach RPG's has to this kind of stuff. All we end up with is a system where players want to "get shit over with" and want everything to be over with as quickly as possible. You gonna loot enemies? Oh don't worry about it. The game auto-selects the dead bodies and you can loot them all within mere seconds. And hey, don't worry about where the stuff goes either, just hit the enter button repeatedly and the game auto-distributes the stuff around your party. And hey don't worry about where to sell the stuff either. Just find the nearest NPC you can barter with and unload the stuff.

What's the point of even having a looting system if everything is so streamlined that it doesn't require two braincells to deal with. It should be clunky and messy because that forces the player to actually make a choice with what to loot and who to give it to. Maybe the player decides that "ugh, I don't want to go through looting these enemies" and leaves them, which means that (s)he loses out on loot to sell.

It's the equivalent of quest arrows in Skyrim IMO. Don't bother doing any actual work, the game does it all for you!

That's why I still like Fallout 1/2's design the best and still hold it up as the RPG that got so many things right even to this day. You can loot all weapons in them and even all armors in Fallout 1, but it's clunky and tedious and the player has to choose whether they want to allocate their playtime towards clicking and dragging weapons from enemies into your inventory and get extra cash or whether you want to leave it and not get much out of the encounter.

Some things should be clunky and messy. You streamline them too much then there's really not much of a point in having them in the first place.

In regards to the weapons, I guess that the reason for why we can't pick up the weapons they carry is because the looting system is so streamlined that it'd end up being too easy to get higher quality stuff to sell or equip your party with. So they limit it.

Last edited:
Brian Fargo tweeted that they're in progress on fixing the camera in the PC version.

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/653930480576806913

I, myself, haven't experienced any problems with the camera because I've spent 4 hours creating my characters and I'm still not done yet. :p

Is it broken now? I wish they would fix the crappy angle/tilt when zooming out. I try zooming out to see more but the auto-tilt just lets me see the same area from a bit farther away. Or does this mean it's fixed now? In any case, Fargo is clearly twittering while drunk. I mean, "Not everoyne had the same reaction but we undestand it used to work a cetain way."

Last edited:
It's insane how much more I enjoyed Divinity when compared to W2. Granted I haven't played the Directors Cut since it still has bugs and shit which should have been fixed. The console focus was a mistake since the PC version has suffered. Looking forward to playing it again despite all of that.

Brian Fargo tweeted that they're in progress on fixing the camera in the PC version.

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/653930480576806913

I, myself, haven't experienced any problems with the camera because I've spent 4 hours creating my characters and I'm still not done yet. :p

Is it broken now? I wish they would fix the crappy angle/tilt when zooming out. I try zooming out to see more but the auto-tilt just lets me see the same area from a bit farther away. Or does this mean it's fixed now? In any case, Fargo is clearly twittering while drunk. I mean, "Not everoyne had the same reaction but we undestand it used to work a cetain way."

Before the recent hotfix, the camera zoomed out the same way, but not as high so it was quite useless. It's still not very useful but it's at least better than how it was. I don't think they seem to understand that we don't want it to zoom straight up, we still want it to be the standard isometric view just zoomed out a bit. Maybe they'll figure it out eventually or maybe they can't get it to work that way due to limitations of Unity or something? Dunno. *shrug*

I haven't encountered any crashes or bugs, the game works fine for me. The only thing I'm complaining about is the damn camera, it's like I'm 10yrs old again playing GTA 2. That angle is not good for this game.

Back