Wasteland 2 Update #49: Release Date Announcement

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
The latest Wasteland 2 update announces the release date and unveils some details for the coming months:
We are very happy to announce the ship date for Wasteland 2: the game will be coming to you at the end of August of this year!

Before saying anything else, I want to first and foremost again thank you, our backers. Without you I'd never be where I am today, just a few months removed from finally releasing the game I've been wanting to make for 25 years. It's exciting to be in this home stretch, and all your support and feedback throughout the process has made the game much better than it would have been otherwise. What we're releasing is a game of much greater scope than we ever dreamed of when starting our Kickstarter. More features, more areas, more reactivity, more words, all thanks to you for funding our game and for giving us the time needed to finish it. My goal has been to over deliver on your expectations for Wasteland 2.

We also just released another big update to the Wasteland 2 beta (full notes on our tumblr). This update adds the final major area of Arizona, meaning the Wasteland 2 beta now includes all Arizona maps, which is approximately half the entire game!

At this stage we're internally feature complete, but not feature locked. What that means is that every feature is in our dev builds but we're still testing functionality, gameplay balance impact and even quality. If a feature is not good enough, we'll cut it, but if fan feedback and internal review indicates it's vital, we'll double down on it. But the main focus for the new few months lies with balancing, optimizing and of course mercilessly hunting down bugs.

But we are not yet in full lock-down, it is important for us to stay flexible for iterations as we keep learning from the backer beta. For instance, we'll be tweaking the skill usage density and variety our game levels, and adding some smaller lines and skill-paths. Combat balance is something else we'll be spending a lot of time on in the next months, as it still needs much fine-tuning. Localization is another major step and we can do with more help on that, see more below. In other words, these next few months won't be idle months!​

woo-hoo!!! Can't wait! :)

Because then my save games won't constantly become useless once I start a new game. :p

Seem that i have only two months to finish Wasteland 1...

It is amazing to see how inept the current inXile team is, they have no real veteran graphics artists including GUI artists, who understand what the hell they are doing. Or during W2 development, what they are messing up.

Their only luck is a community, some members are versed in some graphics and helped them all along to Art Direct Wasteland 2's GUI to make them make something presentable.

Still the inXile graphics team are ridiculously inept - prime example of a low budget project where only cheap mediocre artists can be hired, because expert veterans stay off and remain at big budget studios for significantly higher salary.

Result is we are getting a mediocre game with Wasteland 2 it could have been so much better if an Obsidian-level team would be working on the game or if inXile could have brought back the legendary Bards Tale team. Not they were fantastic! I bet not the same people are working on W2 at all!

Last edited:
You might be right. I don't know that, as i didn't try the game yet, and won't intend to as long as i didn't finished Wasteland 1.
But i don't know how it is related to the quote of my own post.

Anyway, it is great news.

Born To Lose, And Now I'm Losing You

baszermaszer said:
It is amazing to see how inept the current inXile team is, they have no real veteran graphics artists including GUI artists, who understand what the hell they are doing. Or during W2 development, what they are messing up.

Their only luck is a community, some members are versed in some graphics and helped them all along to Art Direct Wasteland 2's GUI to make them make something presentable.

Still the inXile graphics team are ridiculously inept - prime example of a low budget project where only cheap mediocre artists can be hired, because expert veterans stay off and remain at big budget studios for significantly higher salary.

Result is we are getting a mediocre game with Wasteland 2 it could have been so much better if an Obsidian-level team would be working on the game or if inXile could have brought back the legendary Bards Tale team. Not they were fantastic! I bet not the same people are working on W2 at all!

:lol:

{Pause to wind up a manic reply.]

So sad, so sad to see the waste of corporate aesthetic standards, on a Kickstarter project conceived for the turn based demographic still comfortable with 8 bit era video.

Not that there are no standards, just a low horizon rather than no horizon.

What? Obsidian a graphics power as a TRUE conversation starter, or another straw man gesticulation!?!

Why not say B-soft could do it better …. Pete proclaimed: THEY GOT THE TECHNOLOGY!!!!1!

I would have thought any ASSIGNED list of bullet points would have NOT started with purveying / pimping eye candy, but on some minor point of TB vs RTWP gameplay.

Pardon my mouth stuffing, but maybe a worthy pitch could be about limited resources that would be better spend on the game play .

Corporate market-eer-ing standards for a Kickstarter niche production seems to be misapplied bait for a nibble.

Yes, the post got my attention, congratulations. Long time lurker, small count poster. Quite a trophy on the derail trail.

Corporate fan boy market standards for a Kickstarter niche production … :lol:

unless paid for this contribution, suggest time better spend on a less obvious oxymoron .

Worried. By the quote's account WL2 already a lost cause … graphically. :(

Sad for the loser attitude. So sad.
Sad to see some one headed for heart break, before the game is officially released, lost in a world view blinded by 'cool' particle effects.

Still time to leap from the wreckage … ;)

4too

Last edited by a moderator:
So sad, so sad to see the waste of corporate aesthetic standards, on a Kickstarter project conceived for the turn based demographic still comfortable with 8 bit era video.

Not that there are no standards, just a low horizon rather than no horizon.

What? Obsidian a graphics power as a TRUE conversation starter, or another straw man gesticulation!?!

Why not say B-soft could do it better …. Pete proclaimed: THEY GOT THE TECHNOLOGY!!!!1!

I would have thought any ASSIGNED list of bullet points would have NOT started with purveying / pimping eye candy, but on some minor point of TB vs RTWP gameplay.

Pardon my mouth stuffing, but maybe a worthy pitch could be about limited resources that would be better spend on the game play .

Corporate market-eer-ing standards for a Kickstarter niche production seems to be misapplied bait for a nibble.

Yes, the post got my attention, congratulations. Long time lurker, small count poster. Quite a trophy on the derail trail.

Corporate fan boy market standards for a Kickstarter niche production … :lol:

unless paid for this contribution, suggest time better spend on a less obvious oxymoron .

Worried. By the quote's account WL2 already a lost cause … graphically. :(

Sad for the loser attitude. So sad.
Sad to see some one headed for heart break, before the game is officially released, lost in a world view blinded by 'cool' particle effects.

Still time to leap from the wreckage … ;)

4too

Don't be an idiot. Just because you have no sense of aesthetics doesn't mean that it is not important to other people. Some of the 8-bit games were beautiful (like Mega-Man or Solstice) and use of particles can look good (like in The Swapper). It has nothing to do with technology, what matters is that you have a clear, strong and original art direction - which is what WL2 is missing. It's a factor that is making it hard for me to immerse myself into the universe they are creating, and no amount of dialog or responsiveness will replace that for me. And you can call me a corporate fanboy if you have no other arguments, but you would be a damn liar..

Art For Art's Sake?

2bak said:
… immerse ... And you can call me a corporate fanboy …

If your expectations and visual systems analysis flow from your own brew of philosophies / life experience, then I can't associate your criticism of WL2 graphics with guerilla marketing.

" ' If the glove don't fit … ' "

Immersion is / was a 'nex gen" buzz word, and I am anticipating it's mellowing to a lower pitch and rallying to convey the holistic game experience, once again,

not to be lost in the collateral reflexion / refraction from the mashing of the AWESOME button.

WL2. What have I seen so far, I can't conjure a 'graphics' chip on my shoulder, so can't swagger and nuance with all the intelligent personas on the internet. :(

No fount of wisdom concerning fonts. :(

Can't bet on the horse race some claim exists between the now implied rivalry with other Kickstater projects, either. :(

QED! By the cool and trendy internet aesthetics, if I can't say anything BAD then I can't say anything at all. :)

Except ….

Still time to leap before the coveted, aesthetic devastation … ;)

4too

Seem that i have only two months to finish Wasteland 1...

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback :D

@Kilgore Trout:
Those scary numbers have been revealed with the beta version:
3.0 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; Direct X 9.0c Compatible Video Card 1GB VRAM; Direct X Compatible Sound Card; 20 GB HD Space
I do expect something more old-timer friendly for the final version, after optimization and all that jazz, but right now I'm definitely out of play.

The new UI looks exactly as I wanted it to be. Really like that game become better and better with every update.
I thought that this beta is just for bug fixing only. So good I was wrong.

And I must to say that I do like W2 UI aesthetics. Probably it's not the best UI ever, but it has that old-school feeling that (I think) a lot of bakers expected. Of course it's a personal opinion, you know.

@Kilgore Trout:
Those scary numbers have been revealed with the beta version:
3.0 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; Direct X 9.0c Compatible Video Card 1GB VRAM; Direct X Compatible Sound Card; 20 GB HD Space
I do expect something more old-timer friendly for the final version, after optimization and all that jazz, but right now I'm definitely out of play.

Those numbers are scary. :( My 'puter is definitely not up for modern gaming.

August heh? Been waitinf for a time for it, only played W2 for testing my FPS on each area, now it's time to really play the game.

I backed this, but I haven't kept up with the progress. I just watched some gameplay, and it looks like a good combo of world-map exploration and tactical combat. I hope it has some interesting quests and a good sense of humor.

Those requirements truly are a little intimidating. I'm going to have to remember to account for the hidden cost of planned obsolescence the next time I make a Kickstarter pledge. Still waiting with baited breath, though.

Back