Wasteland 2's opening cinematic

The stock footage reminded me of Fallout a bit too much. This is a new game, not a Fallout 4 wannabe.

It might be more fair to say that this is Fallout that looks like Wasteland. Wasteland shouldn't have to change so that both don't look like each other.

College quality...but the movie doesn't mean a thing, it's the game you want to play, not the intros.

The narrator is Snake Vargas, mafuckas! He's supposed to sound like some military dood(crappy or not). Less than 30K for some intro a lot of people will skip? Seems like good money management.
The dubbed part at the end did make me lol just a little bit, I'll admit. I'm apathetic towards any cinematics in this game; I'm just glad the gameplay in the beta has been interesting and fun. I'm excited to play the full release soon - Scotchmo needs his squeezins.

So the video i what you'll get when starting the game ?

It would make more sense then.
If it was a trailer, i would have thought it was a shame they didn't show ingame footage.

Feels just like yesterday when Ace and us were sporting that old broken down jeep
and walking through this darn sewers until someone came up with the idea, that
we could use a rope. Really, there should be a Wasteland guide. But what
crazy lizard would write such a thing, I ask you.

That being said, I dig that intro.

Everything except the voice narration is fine. Replace him and it'd be a good clip. I really liked the use of real people instead of just typical CG stuff. (Ironically, they probably did that mostly because it's way cheaper :D)

I'm not sure what they were thinking there, with the voicing. Nothing personal with whatever dude did it, it's just too cheesy-sounding.

He sounds more or less the same. I don't mind the cheesiness, I think it fits the quasi-80s-comic-book setting, but there are a lot of radio conversations with him, so if you hate his voice it'll get grating.

Next time they'll spend $150,000 for Liam Neeson.

He's so disappointed in you.

__________________________________________________ ______

Sears-ly.. This crowd, sometimes. Looks like I stumbled into another "Never good enough" thread. Oh, loooook! Crni is here!
I'm not saving the guy is a grade-A voice actor, but he gets the job done. And obviously - from the example above - good talent doesn't always create good substance.
Maybe if you bitch enough, they'll separate "SFX" and "Voice" so you don't have to be tortured by this terrible voice acting. lawl

One last thing:
I think you guys overestimate what $3,000,000 dollars is. The two - TWO - person business I run get receipts of around half million a year; sure, we resell items, but a hefty chunk of the receipts are labor. You know how much ends up in our pockets before taxes? Right around $110,000. Running a small business is costly. Payroll, benefits, insurance, production, maintenance, licensing, legal, misc.. my expense account numbers take up a whole fuggin' sheet. I think they have their priorities set straight for skimping a bit on the voice actor.

Hookay. Done with my $.02.

EDIT:
Bwahh - "in our pockets before taxes" was a weird statement. More like 80k "in our pockets". I should've added taxes to the expense list; the government doesn't just skim off a bit from employees and customers with payroll and sales tax. The business has to match Medicare and Social Security taxes your employees pay. WOO! Plus they had to pay Kickstarter(what, 5%? More?) and CC merchants(Another 2%). Just trying to put this in perspective, guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you mind changing the characters you used to separate the funny stuff from the rest of your post? I didn't even read any of it at first because the line was processed as my brain as separator of signature from post :\ Clearly my mistake but I think others might do the same. It's kinda programmed in us to see that separator and go "oh, sig. move along, move along."

Anyway, clearly mediocre voice acting bothers some people more than others, but I can't help but wonder if part of the issue here is dichotomy of it. The visuals are "serious" yet the vocals are "cheesy". That kind of mismatch is irritating. If a B movie has bad writing/acting it's okay because generally it's low-budget so it looks as shitty as it sounds, but if it's a multi-million-dollar affair with A-list actors and equally bad writing/acting, it's much more likely to be irritating, because - maybe not even consciously - we know how much better it could be. *shrug*

lol @ the Fallout 3 video. Relevant:

turtle-is-disappointed-2.jpg

Last edited:
Next time they'll spend $150,000 for Liam Neeson.

I would rather have no voicework than poor voicework. Obviously a low budget game doesn't want to spend a huge amount on a big budget actor; but it would have been better to just have text on the screen than the guy they got. It's not a matter of being cheesy, he's just not that good. They should have been able to find someone better straight out of drama school for 5k or something.

I didn't even read any of it at first because the line was processed as my brain as separator of signature from post :\ Clearly my mistake but I think others might do the same.
Yup, same here! Anything under the line is considered a ballast and skipped automatically. (Brain reporting: „Full line ahead - quick sanity check - what a huge signature FFS dude!” *skip skipity skip*)

Yeah, the line wasn't the brightest idea. I just wanted to prepare you guys for my whining about your "whining" - the best way to look like a winner. Everyone's entitled to their opinion; sometimes I get in the mood where my opinion is prime.
Like WorstUsernameEver said, you're stuck with that guy's voice. I guess they could've made it all text in the game to save a bit more.. But that's something I'll skip over.

I think most of us could agree, this guy would've been a nice voice to hear:

Transistor is great, too(although it crashed on me six times or so in the few hours I've played).

@Makagulfazel OH MY GOD YOU HAVEN'T REMOVED THE LINE YET AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :razz:

That video is really good, though. Hypnotising voice, excellent music!
There's another pretty good voice in this Wasteland let's play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5qaO-s
Perhaps it sounds a llittle younger than you'd expect from a desert ranger, yet it's very intriguing. His tone, that calmness.. I totally dig it!

Sears-ly.. This crowd, sometimes. Looks like I stumbled into another "Never good enough" thread. Oh, loooook! Crni is here!
I'm not saving the guy is a grade-A voice actor, but he gets the job done. And obviously - from the example above - good talent doesn't always create good substance.
Maybe if you bitch enough, they'll separate "SFX" and "Voice" so you don't have to be tortured by this terrible voice acting. lawl
I am glad you decide to give me (us) your opinion. I like discussions, even if it might not seem like it. Though this is not the Order, just to remind you :P. We have at least to try to be civil here. Now that this is out of the way, well. I just gave my opinion, and my feelings go somewhat in this direction:

Anyway, clearly mediocre voice acting bothers some people more than others, but I can't help but wonder if part of the issue here is dichotomy of it. The visuals are "serious" yet the vocals are "cheesy". That kind of mismatch is irritating.

I could not explain it better. This pretty much hits the nail on its head, at least for me. See maka, I know the wasteland team is neither EA, Bioware or Ubisoft. They can not throw around a few 100m dollar into 5min of CGI that everyone will droll over, and often enough even those CGI trailers are not that impressive as far as the presentation goes. I am not expecting such stuff, and honestly, I dont even think that it is needed.

What is needed is the correct choice and use of the medium that you have. I believe they could have achieved better results, with less actually. Or to say it that way, showing the characters in a different way. I am not someone who is a professional director or something, but I would have tried to adjust the images to the tone and I would have chosen a different music definitely. Take the raiders/canibals as example, I disslike them the most, because they feel cheesy and I dont like the choice in music and the images. Its not the quality. Its hard to describe what I mean, not to mention its just my oppinion.

I believe the guys behind this video made a better job to show their characters and communicate the tone of their project:

The my choice of music:

Lets ignore that its scripted CGI crap.

Back