Weird/Stupid fears on gaming?

The only notable experience I had was back in the day when I was playing X-men Wolverines Revenge, at some point some failed mutant experiments had escaped from their chambers or something like that, I did find them frightening back then, I used to shut down the game and think about it for a few minutes. :)
Other than that I don't know...didn't experience anything like that since then, maybe except the Penumbra Overture which gave me some shocks, I suppose it would scare me more if I made any fucking progress from some point onward.

I thought those pink brutes in Doom were pretty paralyzing.

And then there was my first encounter with the Izlom in ObLost for SoC. Ran into it at the level changer between Cordon and Garbage, during that scripted hold up scene. I killed the bandits and saved the loner only to have 2 of the most fucked up rendition of a zombie I have ever encountered lumber in and kill him, screaming/begging "SOLDAT! SOLDAT! SOLDAT! SOLDAT EH!!", and then turning on me. Left me highly paranoid through the rest of that playthrough and all subsequent playthroughs with oblost.

Those cutter blades in the original Prince of Persia from 1989 really turned my guts as a kid.
I remember having to look away from the screen whenever my brother played.
This also meant I only played until level 3 myself. Always stopped when reaching those.

Also Doom was a bit creepy. I played it at a friends house and I remember getting pretty fucken scared on the way home as I ran through the woods, in the dark.

And then there was my first encounter with the Izlom in ObLost for SoC. Ran into it at the level changer between Cordon and Garbage, during that scripted hold up scene. I killed the bandits and saved the loner only to have 2 of the most fucked up rendition of a zombie I have ever encountered lumber in and kill him, screaming/begging "SOLDAT! SOLDAT! SOLDAT! SOLDAT EH!!", and then turning on me. Left me highly paranoid through the rest of that playthrough and all subsequent playthroughs with oblost.

Yeah, those guys' voices are BRILLIANT.

Ecco the Dolphin used to make me so goddamn uncomfortable. I loved the segments where you could be happy with your dolphin buddies and jump around near the ocean surface. Much better than going down into the depths.

Shadow of the Colossus kinda hit upon that fear of the watery depths thing. One of the Colossi you fight against dwells underwater in a big and dark lake. Seeing that huge *shape* beneath the water swim towards you made me panic a fair bit.

As far as downright scariness go, well... The recent release Amnesia: The Dark Descent scared the fucking shit out of me. It was a long time since I played a game where I had to stop playing to calm my nerves down, but Amnesia managed it.

I must say, I am unnaturally scared in almost all FPS (and their like) by the monsters attacking in melee. They are generally quite damaging, if they can get to you, and are often quick...
That's one of the reasons why I liked SW: Republic Commando - there you are about as powerful in melee, as any enemy...

I remember the bloodsuckers from the Stalker SOC man that scared the crap out of me the first time there quick.invisible,melee,take 10 shotgun hits to kill,and they tend to attack in low light conditions and on harder difficulties in packs of 3+.

water you wont belive how much courage i had to work up to even go near the water in NV for the boomers I was afraid of the godamn lakelurks and the helpless feelings.

My first time in Necropolis, and no I was not a kid back then. The music, the sewers, all this strange stuff. I just wanted to get out,

Yeeeeah, i have a new-found fear of the red bombombs in super Mario 64, after a dream where they launched me out of the cannon, i went splat, than they used me to fuel the black bombombs.

Those Chrysalids in X-COM scared me something terrible. Mind you, I still refuse to play night missions in that game, although mostly due to the PITA it is to hunt them in the dark.

I seem to be very prone to being scared in games. I would even go as far that i get scared in every portion of game where the designers wanted you to get scared.

But well some highlights might be the following ones.

-It came from the desert ; but well i played this when i was like 6 or 7 or something like that.
-Vampire Bloodlines ; The Haunted Hotel - i've to say this was the most intense so far.
But i think in this games it was intended that you yourself felt somewhat scared.

Which was really strange was the game 'Fright Night'. I mean sure it's the game to the vampire movie. But the really crazy thing is, you're not playing some possible victim for the vampire, but you're playing the friggin' vampire.
So how could i get scared by that O_O

-Vampire Bloodlines ; The Haunted Hotel - i've to say this was the most intense so far.

Yeah that house was both brillant and scary, but somehow i was way more scared in the Tzimisce manor and the sewers underneath...

Black Feather said:

Yeah that house was both brillant and scary, but somehow i was way more scared in the Tzimisce manor and the sewers underneath...

Yea those little scampering things were really freaky. Didn't help their attack animation was bugged so they tended to suddenly teleport into your face.

Back