Weird/Stupid fears on gaming?

^ Now that's what I was talking about! :D Not some generic fear on games like RE or Silent Hill.

I didn't like Ecco either. It putted me a bit uncomfortable for some reason.

Maybe I've conquered my fear now, because I started playing BioShock yesterday and I'm not particularly scared yet. There was some fear and jumpiness in the beginning, but after having been attacked and killed a few times it was business as usual.

The atmosphere is still kind of creepy though, but it's not akin to the fear I've felt in other games.

I like the game, fear or not.

Ecco was also one of the first games that really scared me or at least made me really really uncomfortable.

Going into the depths where who knows what lurks, not to mention the limitation of oxygen.

Two foes I hated a lot where the Arctic spiders (I hate spiders!) in the Ice regions that were hidden behind objects, and the Aliens on the planet Vortex which were already disturbing Giger esque like and whose heads keep chasing you in a maze that continuously forces you to move on.

Come to think of it, their queen was pretty scary too, a giant empty underwater room with a floating giant alien head in it that sucked up everything around it once every few seconds.

ok, so I'm gonna go ahead and mention Metro 2033 in this thread. I rarely get scared in games these days, as most games that are supposed to be scary use a tried and true formula to do that and you end up expecting to be scared at all the right moments. but there's something about Metro 2033 that creeps me the fuck out. especially those damn Librarians. holy shit, I almost crapped my pants several times during that part of the game. that was definitely a new and interesting type of enemy.

Yeah, I know people will think I'm crazy buy the title screen mario from smb3 it made playing that game hard for me.

There was this ooold zombie mod for half-life 1, it was basically it's own game. Really great TC mod for it's time.
The zombies there, they didn't jump out at you in hordes.
You could have a couple of bullets for you magnum and hear the moaning through the walls, it was so scary that it felt like all my organs was switching places.

Thanks, John B. It was called They Hunger. Great mod.

Would probably not be as scary now though.

Ahyeah and Crimson Heads from Resident Evil 1 Remake. Those bastards scared me so hard I thought my heart stopped.

excellent thread! i should have done a search....

the tex murphey games! they were definately tense i remember those areas and they had my bowels trembling!

Mettle said:
I've been trying to remember the name of the game, but can't call if up. I remember it being an adventure style horror game for Nintendo Gamecube, with Cthulhu inspiration I think, sanity meter and some really creepy atmosphere.

Sounds like Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

I replayed The Suffering last year. I did not want to go outside at night alone for at least a couple days.

Great thread.

D on Saturn gave my friend nightmares for months, but it didn't bother me for some reason (I suppose that it didn't help the rich sap since he played it at 2 am with full surround sound in his basement alone). Lunacy was also the same way.

Clock Tower on PS 1 was pretty intense in a good way, since you don't have any real way of fighting back against your foe. You really had to think on your feet, and learn to use your environment to your advantage. Haunting Ground on PS2 was another attempt at this genre and it was pretty scary. It's scary because you are pretty much helpless. The panic mode where the entire screen does a Blaire Witch project thing and goes black and white and starts shaking really adds to the intense atmosphere.

Silent Hill 1 or 2 ( couldn't remember which) did scare me a bit, but all I remember from it was been annoyed by one of the puzzles.

The Resident Evil series wasn't really scary at all, especially as time goes on, it became less horror, and more action. Most of the time I was worried about my ammo management. The Outbreak subseries did provide some intense moments, since it's the first time you are timed, therefore making the idea of survival much more urgent. Of course, D on Saturn was timed too, so maybe the idea came from there.

The only ones that really gets to me is probably the Fatal Frame series and Siren. I don't know why, but it's probably because childhood associations, so I find stuff like this much more scary than traditional Western slashers or zombies. I still don't play Fatal Frame later in the night. I would probably get freaked out if I did try. Siren is another ballgame altogether. The game just gives me a headache, and creeps me the f**k out from time to time. The game is a pain in the arse to play too, so I couldn't believe it when my little bro finished it. He did confessed that he always played with a friend present, and never at late nights.

The honourable mention for creepy, gloomy and scary things from non horrors would probably go to Shadow Hearts 1 on PS2, Persona 1 on PS1, and maybe Daggerfall on PC. Shadow Hearts 1 had one of the best dark, and creepy atmosphere for a RPG I've ever seen. One cut scene in the game gave my little brother nightwares for weeks on end. It's too bad that SH 2 and 3 went a lot more light hearted and with more of a focus on humour. Personal 1 just had this sense of gloom that permeates the game. Daggerfall was an interesting case for me. It wasn't scary per se, but the sound effects were decent enough to make me jump on occasions. Dungeon crawling at low lvls was also a pretty intense experience. It was an interesting experience to go out at night at the capitol though.

When I was a kid I had the C-64 and before that the Spectravideo. Can't remember anything scaring me from the Speccy but with the C64 there were several.

The Detective Game. A whodunnit-type game, except you became the hunted at one point, eerie atmosphere. Never did solve the game.

Laser Squad. Not really scary, more suspenseful. The grandaddy of the turnbased, line-of-sight - type games that I suppose the Fallouts were as well.

As far as games go, only one game has ever really scared me to the point that I had to sleep with a nightlight on when I was a kid. That was the Aliens game for the Amstrad CPC. The one where you controlled 6 characters through a metallic HUD and saw the action through their cameras.

Aliens in the game were portrayed in 2 ways. The first was when they were in the room with you, but not attacking (they just shuffled about), and the second when they turned towards you and tried to kill you. For an 8-bit machine, the Amstrad sure did a great job of displaying the horrible visage of an Alien as it goes for your face.

Compared to that, very few games even came close to scaring me. A few jumps here and there, but nothing really close to that. Except for a series of fan-made missions for Thief called "A Night In Rocksbourg". If the normal Thief games scared you, don't touch these, as they will scar you for life.

When i was a kid: doom, alone in the dark and realms of haunting got to me.
Nowadays its harder to get creeped out, only recent games i found creepy were silent hill 1 &2, Siren blood curse had couple of unsettling moments and thats about it. Of course games like Doom3 and F.E.A.R had quick scares but those are more annoying than tense.

Edit: Huh? Thought i was actually answering different thread but i guess it fits here too.

The Thing, while kind of a shitty game, had good atmosphere that creeped me out. Just like the movie, it was all about waiting for your "allies" to start bugging the fuck out and turning into a "thing" so you could flamethrower their faces off

Huh? Thought i was actually answering different thread but i guess it fits here too.
Maybe someone should do a thread merge with the other one. The title should be edited a bit too, and we're all set. :wink:

Fuck people being scared of the ReDeads, those things were nothing. The Dead Hand and the Shadow Temple in general were creepy as hell.

1-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-3.png

And there is no shame in still being afraid of Silent Hill, SH 2 I am pretty sure would still give me nightmares if I replayed it and I am about as desensitized to morbid, brutal, and otherwise scary things as you can get.

mobucks said:
The Thing, while kind of a shitty game, had good atmosphere that creeped me out. Just like the movie, it was all about waiting for your "allies" to start bugging the fuck out and turning into a "thing" so you could flamethrower their faces off
Oh god yes.
This game scared me so many times and really made me paranoid of having survivors follow me around.

This one survivor, I tested him with that blood sample thingie.
He was okay.
We played on, did stuff together, BFF's, tested him again to make sure he wasn't infected.
He wasn't.
10 seconds later I look back and he splattered open and mutated into a monster.

After that I was scared as hell by survivors.

Back