Weird/Stupid fears on gaming?

There is only one game that really literally scares me:

Amnesia the dark descent

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo053hjMkcs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2gBI_kZPns[/youtube]

One of the best examples of a well executed scary level design.
In this whole level, there is really 0 enemy/aggressive creature.
Yet you're here shitting your pants.
And you can really die in this level. It's the house that can kill you. Not a dumb army of zombie with a cheap scare factor.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3yQ8bXva6l4?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>

Your avatar scares me, Black Feather. :P
And yes, Amnesia is an incredible scary game.
Even the trailer scared the shit out of me.

Jay Null said:
Back in 1996, just 2 years after getting a Windows 95 machine, my father decided to upgrade the graphics to a whopping 16-bits of colour depth. (My, Lords of the Realm II never look'd so good.) Well, we received a large demo-disk that launched into a huge (for the time) first-person game selector, a great mother-ship. But all this is wonderfully irrelevant.
Dude, I had the exact same thing back then. Played the hell out of the Bevis and Butthead demo, really wanted to get the full game(still do). Did you know, when in the FP demo selection, you could throw coins by pressing some key, and if you throw them into a specific wall a door will open into a hidden area with a few more game demos? Accidentally learned that by bouncing them off walls for fun. Realistic physics in first person perspective in the mid 90s? The selection was more fun than most of the demos. Anyone who knows what I'm talking about know where I can download it? I assume it was free since it was a bunch of game demos, if not maybe abandonware.

I_eat_supermutants said:
Super Mario 64 and swimming in it. It was the first time swimming in a 3d plain and it scared the fuck out of me. Sure now-a-days it doesn't bother me so much but there were a few levels that freaked me out.
I know exactly what you mean. First time I swam in the Tomb Raider demo I nearly shit my pants. For some reason tomb raider always put me on edge. Not really scared, but paranoid and jumpy, sometimes I'd be scared to turn the next corner not knowing if I'd be shot at or fall into a pit or be devoured by a lion.

As for the very first time a game scared me... This was back when my parents assumed the SNES was a kids toy and any game was ok. Imagine playing this at four years old...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lfBtSiYiuE[/youtube]
Dunno if it was the subject matter or the creepy way everything moves, but I ran out of the room crying with my hands over my ears after about five minutes and, long story short, my parents didn't buy me another game until I was seven.

I never understood how resident evil or silent hill were scary though. I was 10-12 years old when I played them and even back then I thought they were trying too hard. I think I spent more time laughing at the awkward voice acting and checking out the ladies in the games than feeling scared. (rebecca was my first game crush. I totally wanted to be alone with her in an empty mansion)

Ghouls in fallout 3 scared the shit outta me! I actually spent hours trying to find alternate routes outside of metro tunnels. But I got better weapons, so now only mirelurk kings have this affect.

Played manhunt when i was 10-11 maybe 12 at most...
Surprisingly was never that afraid or disgusted...
I actually kind of enjoyed it :D
But the thing that i fear and dread most...
Its BioWare...
Their sequels f***ing SUCK...
Mass Effect 1 loved it
Mass Effect 2 watered down version of the first one, an Action RPG for dummies, and i was hyped when i saw it coming out...
Now DA:O rocked just a great RPG...
Im afraid to think about what will happen to Dragon Age 2...

Arr0nax said:
One of the best examples of a well executed scary level design.
In this whole level, there is really 0 enemy/aggressive creature.
Yet you're here shitting your pants.
And you can really die in this level. It's the house that can kill you. Not a dumb army of zombie with a cheap scare factor.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3yQ8bXva6l4?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>
Actually yes...this is the one thing i hated to play through...
I always turned off the sound when i played that quest.
After the first time however its not that scary as you know what will happen when ;)

.Pixote. said:
Silent Hill 1 was the one for me…that soupy fog, and those nasty little kiddies with the knives.

gal_silenthill1.jpg

I was 19 at the time, and I was working a lot. When I had time to play it was either early in the morning or late at night so it was always dark. The TV and the PS 1 was in the basement and I was always alone.

The heartbeat from my character when he was tired or hurt combined with the vibrations in the hand concroller, the static in the radio and the fog ... The atmosphere was incredible, and it made it worse to know how vulnerable my character was. I love that he is just a normal person and that ammo is so scarce in that game. It makes it mandatory to run away often.

I got a thrill from playing Silent Hill 1 that has not been matched by any game since.

STALKER freaks me out sometimes, especially since I tried to play it with the lights off and my head phones on. Goddamn! freaky shit right there. And as a kid i only played Resident Evil in the day time or with the lights on, but as a kid i had an overactive imagination which would carry over to my dreams... Not pleasant.

And on the topic of Silent Hill, I bought it a year ago on the PSN (along with RE2 and 3, aka my childhood) and only get to the part where you first meet those little knife carrying kids at the very beginning of the game, then I die. But I've seen people play it and saw some vids and I love the atmosphere. i played Origins and wasn't impressed overall (though I was glad to see they kept the backtracking from early survival horror games, but the jump between "worlds" got on my nerves).

The 6th House bases in Morrowind still freak me out to this day. Don't know why, but I'm always reluctant to explore a cave or stronghold because I'm afraid I'll run into one.

Playing Doom (1) in the middle of the night with headphones really scared the hell out of me at the age of 10.

VTM: Bloodlines had some scary moments as well. Does anyone remember this haunted house mission?

Sneak edit: now I actually remember that playing Dungeon Master 1 on the AMIGA 500 scared the hell out of me as well. Some enemies tried to surround my party and it was often hard to have an idea from which direction the enemies would be coming from when you entered a larger room. As you could just look into 1 out of 4 directions (NESW) at a time, I often was attacked from the side and died a horrible death.

Sneak edit #2: Alone in the dark II. How could I forget about it. The scariest part was prolly these damn hard sneak missions with the girl after Carnby was temporarily captured (?). This was prolly rather more frustrating than scary though.

Sneak edit #3: I actually had a different haunted house mission in mind when talking about bloodlines. It was prolly in Hollywood? Something to do with a sex tape or am I completely mixing up things?

Sneak edit #4: This moment in Stalker was pretty scary to me as well:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU9IS3eS3_w&feature=related[/youtube]

thegaresexperience said:
And on the topic of Silent Hill, I bought it a year ago on the PSN (along with RE2 and 3, aka my childhood) and only get to the part where you first meet those little knife carrying kids at the very beginning of the game, then I die.

:D You mean the part in the beginning where you are SUPPOSED to die? Your character wakes up from that later you know.

Well first time you meet them it goes down the way I described. And it does happen at the very beginning of the game. After that, you can avoid death.

As much as I love STALKER, I like metro 2033 better (from what I played). I like linear FPS, (fallout 3 being an exception), that and it did scare the shit out of me, Especially those fucking bird things. Come out of nowhere and mess you up. It's definitely going to be one of the first games I buy when I get an xbox 360.

Just played through Ravenholm in HL2 again this afternoon. There were a couple pretty freaky moments there that made me jump. Good atmosphere in that level.

Daniella from Demento/Haunting Ground is probably one of the creepiest psycho stalker/killer in a game. Her laugh is infamous for haunting a lot of people's dreams.

Siren was also a headache inducing creepy, but probably much too complicated for larger audience.

Of course, I still have trouble playing Fatal Frame at night.., maybe my imagination is too active at night.

For some scares, you are welcomed to look for videos on youtube for those 3 games.

Back