What does the EC in "2mm EC" ammo stand for?

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by your evil twin, Jan 28, 2009.

1. your evil twin

your evil twin It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 29, 2006
    This has bugged me ever since I first played Fallout 2, since I didn't recall seing an in-game description anywhere. What does the EC stand for?

ElectroConducting?

It's just that it occured to me that Fallout 3 has EC Packs - Electron Charge Packs - that are ammo for the Gatling Laser. While the new Gauss Rifle uses Microfusion Cells. I was thinking of changing it to use the gatling laser Electron Charge Packs instead. That way it would be using EC ammo!

2. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Electrically Conductive is my best guess.

3. M-26-7

M-26-7 Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 20, 2008
    Exact change. It's a reference to what was needed to buy them in pre-apoclyptia.

4. Dirk Magirk

Dirk Magirk Interstellar Vacuum Road Warrior oTO Orderite

Oct 30, 2008
    My crack at it would be Electro Coil.

5. Nonagon

Nonagon Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 8, 2006
    Energy Cell.

6. The Guardian

The Guardian It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jan 17, 2008
    Electric Charge(d), obviously.

7. The Regular One

The Regular One First time out of the vault

Mar 25, 2009
    Electricity Charged 2mm - EC2mm

8. Tycell

Tycell Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 12, 2004

9. The Regular One

The Regular One First time out of the vault

Mar 25, 2009
    That doesn't mean it's right, what do you think the gun fires?

10. Slaughter Manslaught

Slaughter Manslaught Vault Senior Citizen

Dec 11, 2006
    I think I'll go with this one.

Fallout 2's Gauss Weapons were handed well, instead of that ridiculous Tecno-Magic Chinese-built Gauss Rifle that uses MFC and draws 2mm ammunition from the same place that Solid Snake's "Infinite Bullet Stocking Bandana" restocks from.

11. Eternal

Eternal Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 4, 2008
    Everybody ChaCha?
    Emasculated Children?
    Ethereal Chalice?
    Entertaining Chimp?
    Eminent Change?

... sorry I love trying to come up with silly meanings for things like that.

ROFL = Regional Office Fields Laughtracks.

SARS = Systematic Asian Removal Service

I could go on and on ;)

12. tomlecom

tomlecom First time out of the vault

May 11, 2009
    electro-magnetic cartridge :}

13. WraithUV

WraithUV It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 22, 2005
    It's very probably "Electromagnetic [Coil / Cartridge]" or some similar deviation, since gauss guns (coilguns) are essentially entirely based on electromagnetic coils, but I guess you'd need to ask someone who was there, since the gauss weapons of the Fallout world are theoretical fiction, and not reality just quite yet. ;)

-Wraith

14. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Gauss Weapons are a reality, only their power is fictional

15. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    I think energy cell, given that based on the image, the cartridge seems to include both rounds and a battery.

16. WraithUV

WraithUV It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 22, 2005
    Indeed. I said the ones we see in Fallout are still theoretical fiction. While we do have the technology in the real world, it hasn't quite evolved to that state of refinement yet, so it's not like I can just pull up the Gander Mountain website and see what the ammunition cartridges are called. ;)

-Wraith

17. Talisien

Talisien Still Mildly Glowing

Sep 15, 2006
    I'm going with Electromagentic Cartridge or Electromagentic Coil. Gauss is a unit of measure for electromagnetic energy, and has been since before the Fallout timeline was supposed to have split from reality ("sometime after World War II" was I think how it was put by the developers).

Anyone interested in reading some about the one that exist in our reality can skim the wiki on them for a start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_Gun

And here's a bit on fictional ones from wikipedia (which actually references Fallout 2 and Tactics, LOL)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_projectile_devices_(fiction)

18. Herr Mike

Herr Mike Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 28, 2008
    Eric Clapton?

19. TwoEyedYum

TwoEyedYum Naked Moose

Jan 21, 2010
    To all "Energy charge" guys: remember, that we talk not about weapon, but about ammo for it. Gauss weapon fires some steel things, not fireballs... I didn't played F3 much (for _some_ reasons) and was shocked when saw
    OH SHI... Liquid Terminator inside of Gauss rifle produces bullets for it from it's own body o_O

20. Silencer

Silencer Night Watchman Staff Member Admin

Nov 7, 2003
    My caps are on "Electromagnetc Charge". Not that they are charges as such, but that this is the principle of their operation.

Or maybe they were imported from the European Community? A designation like 7.62mm NATO & 7.62mm USSR. That would explain the scarcity.