What does the EC in "2mm EC" ammo stand for?

your evil twin

It Wandered In From the Wastes
This has bugged me ever since I first played Fallout 2, since I didn't recall seing an in-game description anywhere. What does the EC stand for?

ElectroConducting?

It's just that it occured to me that Fallout 3 has EC Packs - Electron Charge Packs - that are ammo for the Gatling Laser. While the new Gauss Rifle uses Microfusion Cells. I was thinking of changing it to use the gatling laser Electron Charge Packs instead. That way it would be using EC ammo!

The Regular One said:
Electricity Charged 2mm - EC2mm

I think I'll go with this one.

Fallout 2's Gauss Weapons were handed well, instead of that ridiculous Tecno-Magic Chinese-built Gauss Rifle that uses MFC and draws 2mm ammunition from the same place that Solid Snake's "Infinite Bullet Stocking Bandana" restocks from.

Everybody ChaCha?
Emasculated Children?
Ethereal Chalice?
Entertaining Chimp?
Eminent Change?

... sorry I love trying to come up with silly meanings for things like that.

ROFL = Regional Office Fields Laughtracks.

SARS = Systematic Asian Removal Service

I could go on and on ;)

It's very probably "Electromagnetic [Coil / Cartridge]" or some similar deviation, since gauss guns (coilguns) are essentially entirely based on electromagnetic coils, but I guess you'd need to ask someone who was there, since the gauss weapons of the Fallout world are theoretical fiction, and not reality just quite yet. ;)

-Wraith

I think energy cell, given that based on the image, the cartridge seems to include both rounds and a battery.

Mikael Grizzly said:
Gauss Weapons are a reality, only their power is fictional
Indeed. I said the ones we see in Fallout are still theoretical fiction. While we do have the technology in the real world, it hasn't quite evolved to that state of refinement yet, so it's not like I can just pull up the Gander Mountain website and see what the ammunition cartridges are called. ;)

-Wraith

I'm going with Electromagentic Cartridge or Electromagentic Coil. Gauss is a unit of measure for electromagnetic energy, and has been since before the Fallout timeline was supposed to have split from reality ("sometime after World War II" was I think how it was put by the developers).

Anyone interested in reading some about the one that exist in our reality can skim the wiki on them for a start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_Gun

And here's a bit on fictional ones from wikipedia (which actually references Fallout 2 and Tactics, LOL)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_projectile_devices_(fiction)

To all "Energy charge" guys: remember, that we talk not about weapon, but about ammo for it. Gauss weapon fires some steel things, not fireballs... I didn't played F3 much (for _some_ reasons) and was shocked when saw
...the new Gauss Rifle uses Microfusion Cells...
OH SHI... Liquid Terminator inside of Gauss rifle produces bullets for it from it's own body o_O

My caps are on "Electromagnetc Charge". Not that they are charges as such, but that this is the principle of their operation.

Or maybe they were imported from the European Community? A designation like 7.62mm NATO & 7.62mm USSR. That would explain the scarcity.

Back