What if you were in the fallout universe ?

Jax Sparrow

It Wandered In From the Wastes
Say the fallout universe was real... being the person that you are in real life (which means that your personality, physical shape, abilities etc. are absolutely identical to the ones you have right now)... do you think you would survive in the wasteland and if yes, what would be the best way? How would you approach your problem, being a wastelander?

(consider yourself a regular wastelander, you weren't born inside the BoS, the Enclave, a vault or a similar steady organization. Consider also the odds of getting accepted in any of the mentioned above, we all know you can't just run into lost hills and become an initiate...)

Here is something that we should have mentioned in the first place and that a starting point. It is point A on this map here http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...7,-103.579102&spn=13.844509,60.029297&t=h&z=5 It is approximately equally far from California and the midwestern BoS region. Since it's too far from both regions lets say there is a settlement every 200 km on your way to them. Of course if you want to go the Cap wasteland you will go through the mid west BoS region and the 200 km settlement thing still applies.

PROBABLY the best alternative i can think of is taking my chances and running straight to a super mutant nest, hoping they wont get the impulsive reaction of shooting me. So... yea... basically, we all know they're sterile and need more units. Becoming a super mutant doesn't require much... sure, i might have some memory loss, i might have some personality changes, but hell, I'll be alive. Besides, being extremely resistant to radiation and having only the big factions such as the BoS and the Enclave to worry about... i consider this a fair trade.

I'd join the BOS... if they'd have me. Or go to Vault City, cause i think i'd pass their citizen test.

I would live in any larger settlement and try to live there, because real wasteland would be far too deadly.

Oh hi all! I've been watching this forum for months now and finally decided to join :).

Either join the New California Republic or the Followers of the Apocalypse and become a teacher or collector of Pre War information.

As you said, you can't just join the Brotherhood, well not the Western one, the Mid West one is a different case but way to fascist to me.
Both Vault Dwellers and remnants of the Enclave consider you a mutie so no chance with them.

FEV is gone so no chance in becoming a Super Mutant, not that that is such a great fate to look forwards too and I am not interested in becoming a Super Mutant's slave.

So that leaves the NCR and the Followers of the Apocalypse, the only two groups that are somewhat close to the concept of good and tolerance.

I have some Pre War knowledge and I could teach people how to read, write and count.
Simple things perhaps but still something quite valuable in a society were education is almost non existent.

I and Jax actually had a long discussion about this before he posted it as a topic here and we considered the midwestern brotherhood an option, as a regular wastelander i can probably be ok with living by their rules and trying not to break them, whatever they are... i mean considering their reputation i guess they'll probably be still men of their word, and that along with them protecting me from raiders and so on is not so bad... the problem is that we never came up with the idea where your starting point in the wasteland should be... cause this is probably the most important thing to begin with, the longer the way you have to go is, the more dangerous it is.
Another thing we talked about was actually trying to join the western brotherhood... the question that bothered us was... hm... let me put it this way: "How far are you willing to go in order to join?" :D

I would probably try and start my own settlement/ city-state locally. Sure it would not be easy, but it would be interesting at least.

I really don't think I am fit for the wasteland, I don't have the background to survive, no experience with the wild so if I don't die while hitting the road I will probably head to a large settlement (if it's large it's probably safer, besides new reno gangsters will kill me there :mrgreen: ) San Fran looked safe.

If I gather the courage I will probably try enter the BoS => try to complete their ridiculous assignment which is highly unlikely bearing in mind that I am my same self in the FO universe.

Another Idea is to start traveling with caravans and hope to find a caravan that goes to the mid western BoS and join their ranks and hope not to encounter super mutants, raiders, enclave patrol or death claws on our way to the BoS cos I dont think we'll survive.

I have not taken into account the odds of getting in a vault, the enclave or the BoS, I think it's bordering with impossibility.

Probably the last thing that I would resort to is surrender to the super mutants and hope not to kill me and make a super mutant, yes it would be trampling on my moral but at least I will stay alive. I think if you get caught my raiders and they stick a mini sub-machine gun in your face and tell you to bl*w them you just dont't have much choice.

It is a personal thing of course, but I find it interesting that so many's first choice would be the Brotherhood of Steel.

What exactly makes them the best choice?
Because they have power armor, energy weapons, and usually stick to their bunkers or fortresses?

Even outside their xenophobia for the outside world, I find them to have a rather limited mind set in general, mostly because of their obsession with seeing themselves the best the wasteland has to offer and yet do nothing really with it, just studying and safeguarding their technology.

Groups like the Followers of the Apocalypse or governments like the NCR might not be as advanced as the BOS but they offer you protection the same.
The NCR army would protect you if you are a citizen, and it offers the opportunity to make something of yourself.

Perhaps you get the chance to study at the Boulder Dome or be a colonist at Hoover Dam, Fort Aradesh/Abandon or possible future Fort Denver.

The Dutch Ghost said:
It is a personal thing of course, but I find it interesting that so many's first choice would be the Brotherhood of Steel.

What exactly makes them the best choice?
Because they have power armor, energy weapons, and usually stick to their bunkers or fortresses?

Even outside their xenophobia for the outside world, I find them to have a rather limited mind set in general, mostly because of their obsession with seeing themselves the best the wasteland has to offer and yet do nothing really with it, just studying and safeguarding their technology.

Groups like the Followers of the Apocalypse or governments like the NCR might not be as advanced as the BOS but they offer you protection the same.
The NCR army would protect you if you are a citizen, and it offers the opportunity to make something of yourself.

Perhaps you get the chance to study at the Boulder Dome or be a colonist at Hoover Dam, Fort Aradesh/Abandon or possible future Fort Denver.

that true but they are not talking about the original BOS, they are talking about the midwest BOS, that have a diferent way of thinking, in the end of the game they have a great army even without the robots

i will go with the Caesar's Legion (i love rome),try not to became a slave, and destroy NCR and what is left of BOS after the war

I'd try to join the Bishop family. They're the only mob family who are trying to get political influence. Plus, I DO look good in fedora.

Well for one I think being in the brotherhood is a gift if I may say that you should not take for granted the fact that you are in and that you are provided with food shelter and protection. All that is more than wonderful knowing that you were just a regular wastelander who could any minute be killed my a lot of things that roam the wasteland. I am not saying they are right in what they are doing but it's closest to my beliefs. And don't forget that this is a best case scenario.

I personally would be fine if I were to somehow dodge the first nuclear strikes and the radiation. First thing is first, people are in chaos and panic, people are trying to run to shelters and organizations around the cities and suburbs for help, but of course they are pushing the people back due to the amount of damage and supply lines failing.

Use car, or steal car, and try to make it on a back roads highway as far away from civilization as possible. Form there on I'd scavenge anything I find and set up shop in a remote region with little to no population. I would hunt and attempt to farm if the soil was adequate, or I would roam and scavenge. I would at first pick up survivors out of empathy and need for extra man-power, but after awhile turn a blind eye to others due to the needs of myself and my group, and the knowing fact that soon all social systems will collapse and reform to a nastier version of humanity due to the needs for survival. Slowly but surely I would search remote outposts of old law-enforcement and military complexes for supplies and the potential to set up shop. I would find HAM radio equipment and try to search for survivors in other outposts.

And I will go fucking A-team on an RV or Bus and turn it into the battle bus.

But survival is always a gamble.

Also, I would know the need to set up my own social system to combat the void that is left in the wasteland to combat other ones such as possible bandits, religious groups with guns, mercs, patriots, ect. I would try to influence a cult-like following to help keep some sort of society formed so that the people in my company don't fall apart at the seams.

Desert Cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Also, sounds cliche, but the most important thing for anyone to do in this situation would be to preserve books. Yeah yeah, book of eli, but not for religious purposes. The written word is the most important thing humanity has ever accomplished, and if we loose that, we loose the potential to gain the knowledge that humanity has ever acquired. Forgetting how to farm and hunt after the 3rd generation is something that cannot happen, and everyone will need to be as literate as possible.

Plus, guns....lots of guns....need guns...so many guns... Knifes, swords, sticks, rocks, explosives, cocktails, bows and arrows, spears... gather them all.

Of course, my scenario is a "what if" apocalypse that applies to the real world as well as the Fallout universe.

I'd hook up with the NCR they are my favorite organization in fallout other than the BOS but I am not getting in there, besides my skills as a chef could be put to good use at the NCR, they won't be forced to stomach the dead animals they call food anymore. Think about it Gecko stir fry or Brahmin filet mignon. I'd make a killing!

The one major problem I would have where I live are all the militias that already exist and are trying to carve out their own countries.

They just arrested the Hutaree militia guys last week. They were operating south west of where I live, but the authorities coaxed them into my town to arrest them at some meeting where they knew the militia guys would come in unarmed.

IIRC there are two dozen militias in my state, and most of them are within "Post apocalyptic walking distance" of where I live...

<sigh>

WPD

The Dutch Ghost said:
Lionel Lark said:
I'd definitely just hook up with the first guy in a blue jumpsuit with a yellow number on the back.

But what if he happened to be from Vault 68? :P

then it will be easier for me to spot the thing i'll be looking for if i get inside the vault :D ... but i'll personally be hoping that the number on the back of the jumpsuit is 69...

Another thing that i think is kinda catchy... i would be more than happy if i somehow end up in a raider group (being one of them, of course)... think about it... raiders are the rock stars of the wasteland - they always have drugs and can get stoned whenever they want to, they can screw anytime they want to and if they kill someone they'll probably get away with it :D

Back