what items (old or new) would you like to see in FO4

ludisonmandela said:
maybe both at the same time

but nothing sick like ripping off the shoulder pad of a suit of power armor
and slapping it on some pre-war suit

I think if a system like that were made, it should be applied only where reasonable... power armor, or vault suits, shouldn't be able to stripped down.

One thing I want removed is those damn awful, stupid underwear that apparently everyone has in the whole DC/Mojave area.
Seriously, why does every man in the whole state have the same cotton shirt? Why does every women have the same sports bra? And why are they so flawlessly clean?

That's just alienating from immersion. I much prefer the underclothes in Oblivion/Skyrim. Just reasonable undergarments.

totally agree with that

i don't think that some dirty junkie raider have
new washed underwear

-edit-

i think we are going a bit off topic now this forum was intended to items

The mention of "compartmentalized" armor and bringing up the jumpsuits kinda reminds me of the character equipping system from Lineage II. Your armor was separated into Gloves, Torso, Pants, Boots, and Helmet, and your appearance would change depending on which parts you had equipped (with the exception of your face, because... well, KRPG, looking cool and sexy mattered more than being able to see the helmet you had on). Some outfits, however, took up Torso and Pants simultaneously, whereas some were separate. It makes me think about Vault Jumpsuits, for example, being a clothing item that would take up Torso and Pants, while leaving you room to do whatever you want as far as arm and leg/feet protection.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the fantastical and wonderful (from PURELY an aesthetic standpoint, and not much else) it would be for the next game to have an armor system like that. It would make for far more interesting character appearance for wasteland sorts, and offer lots of player character customization, as well. Hell, that's done in mods, constantly. You'd THINK a company would take notice of all of the things its community tweaks its games with and figure that some of them aren't half-bad ideas...

Dunno, maybe there could be broken power armor and parts of it that you can use with some types of heavier armor.
Personally, I'd imagine the armor system like this:
The character has several armor slots, helmet, body, gloves, pants, boots.
These parts are all independent and can be mixed up as available.
The parts themselves are customizable to some degree, there's a submenu in which you can change parts of the armor.
For example, you have a standard leather jacket as body armor. This leatherjacket has a certain amount of "mounting points" to accept certain kinds of modifications. So you find a hockey shoulder pad and you can put it on the leather jacket (because hockey pads on leather jackets are ESSENTIAL), or maybe you find a few metal plates or kevlar parts that you can sew into the jacket for more protection.
Now the parts and the degree of customization are up for debate. Should you be able to fit a power armor pauldron on a leather armor? It wouldn't make much sense because of weight and stiffness, but it could certainly work on a metal armor.
Of course, because there is working power armor there should be full armor sets that are less (or non-) customizable that take up more than one (or all) armor slot.
Yeah, it's a little more complicated, but it's not hard to implement (I mean, Morrowind was basically like that, and Lineage II was mentioned, too). And I refuse to believe that it's too hard to understand for the kids. C'mon, many play Bethesda-games as a Barbie-simulator anyway. Why not give it a gameplay aspect?

well what do you think about salvaging a part from some armor and adding it to another armor but still in logical limits

what about weapons
i want to hear more about weapons and chems
any ideas?

Well yes, salvaging parts would be a nice addition, too. In the way I described it would be kinda natural.

Weapons, well, I'd like to see more of the classics. Citykiller Combat Shotgun. Bring it back, dammit!
Not much to say about chems. Maybe some hallucinogens that fuck up your visuals and sounds for a while, just for fun. Of course, talking to NPCs would be basically impossible under influence.
And, of course, just to piss off the players: Drug-flashbacks. You didn't take any drugs for a while? Too bad, there's still shit in your fat cells, you're high again :D

i would like the variety of weapons to be a lot bigger

take some old weapons from 1, 2 and tactics fix them up a bit

then some good ones from fallout 3

and some from new vegas too

then to top it off add a whole bunch of new ones

that would eliminate the boredom of just seeing the same old weapons all the time

also that 15mm artemis rail canon would be fun

One thing I want removed is those damn awful, stupid underwear that apparently everyone has in the whole DC/Mojave area.
Seriously, why does every man in the whole state have the same cotton shirt? Why does every women have the same sports bra? And why are they so flawlessly clean?

That's just alienating from immersion. I much prefer the underclothes in Oblivion/Skyrim. Just reasonable undergarments.

I modded my undies lol. She's got a rainbow polka-dotted thong and a black bra. Mismatched FTW.

I think the "generic" underwear seems like something you'd find on vault dwellers and NCR military only. I could picture both of those entities having "standard issue" undergarments.

Raiders - They would most likely be NEKKID underneath, but ya know... think of the children...

Anyway, it's just a basic design issue. It'd bee to difficult/time consuming to vary the underwear of EVERY NPC when most of the time, who's looking?

Less hi-tech weapons. I would honnestly love to se more ww2 "ish" weapons.
I do have a soft spot for a Thompson or a MP40 :)

Speaking of unpleasant and generic underwear, that reminds me of Mabinogi Heroes (another KRPG), which allowed players to customize the underwear of their characters (which was an important Cash Shop item for the F2P game), and if they chose not to, no clothing/armor they would equip would "hide" the generic/cotton underwear, so if you were going for style (and this being a KRPG, you WOULD!) then custom undies it was! Naturally, stylish isn't the goal in mind for surviving the post apocalypse, but if a similar system were implemented in the next Fallout game, I would not have any qualms with that. If anything, it leads into one thing I wanted to see in the last 2 games, which I only just remembered; stat PENALTIES.

If you're running around buck naked, some of your stats should probably take a hit. Namely, EN and CH. While I don't think that putting on a stereotypically 50s-ish outfit should give +1 AG and +1 EN, I do think that in certain weather, not wearing clothes would be a detriment to your immunities, and putting on a really snazzy suit COULD improve your CH overall. So, if you had a very nice looking suit on, or some lingerie, but the ugly underwear was getting i the way, then no CH bonus for you (or make it smaller), and likewise if you're one of those players who thinks it's "fun" to mash the space bar and jump every 2 feet while wearing nothing, you deserve to be slapped with a stat penalty. Provide a suitable reason to wear armor at ALL times, as well as provide suitable reasons for every action a player undertakes, and it all helps the player forget that they're playing a game. The more convincing, the better!

Another thought I had, which was related to my desire for bonuses and penalties depending on what the player looked like, was for a tad more character appearance based on stats. I was reminded of Fable for both of these things. Not that I want a Fallout game to become a one-town-management simulator, like most Fable titles seem to take on past a certain point, but if in addition to losing some stats people would mock you and few would want to talk to you while you were naked, I can't imagine that would be a bad thing. Likewise, if stats like ST, EN, and AG had an affect on your character's body frame, that would be pretty nifty (and present more variety compared to the one-size-fits-all generic character frame). Perhaps even go one step further, and limit the degree of facial options based on your CH. The game I played which I felt handled character creation visuals THE BEST was Dragon's Dogma. It didn't give you sliders to move back and forth that resulted in a very unnatural-looking creature for a character; it provided dozens of body parts to pick and choose from. Mix and match at your leisure. The result was that you could really come up with a surprising variety of appearances, yet none of them would look disturbing in the Uncanny Valley kind of sense. If the next Fallout game used that system for determining facial appearances, then I don't see why the AMOUNT of options (particularly, the "prettier" ones) couldn't feasibly be limited by how high my CH was. If my character's lankiness, height, and obesity were predetermined by the stats I chose, that would really lend itself to a remarkable tool for immersion's sake.

Then again, all of that comes from ideas I amassed from OTHER games, not ideas from the last ones that I'd like to keep...

Alesia said:
I think the "generic" underwear seems like something you'd find on vault dwellers and NCR military only. I could picture both of those entities having "standard issue" undergarments.

Raiders - They would most likely be NEKKID underneath, but ya know... think of the children...

Aren't Vault Dwellers unclothed underneath the suits? I always presumed that, more so with the suits in Fallout 1 & 2.

As for raiders... eh. Just use something like the undergarments from TES. Not implausible. Not implausible on the level Fallout 3/NV's undergarments are, at least.

First post for me, but a long time fan. Anywho, not an item, but an aspect of play being introduced: logistics. I live in Alaska, and going hunting is always good for a story or two, but the story is usually dealing with the environment and getting there.

In Fallout there was some sense of consequence in travel, especially early on. Random events like falling, rock slides, dehydration, etc. could cause significant enough damage that you had to make the decision whether or not too risk further damage by attempting first aid or just carrying on and possibly dying in a random encounter.

I would like there to be some real, persistent, pervasive, and violent risk in travel. Have a generic "supply" or food/water if one was so inclined that gets treated like ammo and consumed over time with moderate to severe losses in all stats but luck when going without or with minimal amounts of supplies. These stats would be restored with rest and supply of course.

Furthermore, realistic weights with penalties such as fatigue or increased supply consumption when carrying heavy loads would be fitting with the game's imagery of a harsh wasteland. I've always thought it bad for immersion when my weakling 'sniper/thief' character could carry 100 pounds across the desert for days. Based on conjecture I don't think one would be ready to choke out a deathclaw, or go around stealing stuff before venturing back into the wastes without reprieve.

To be frank, bringing major logistical problems into play would certainly make power armor, or a vehicle, quite the boon, but would also make 'friendly' areas and caches of supplies something valuable. I'm sure a few perks could be thrown into play around it, as well as lending new life to a combined survival/outdoorsman skill, and a real desire to watch your karma and plan your routes accordingly. With this, clothing considerations would become important as well. Metal armor would be much less desirable for long distance travel, which would make it appropriate to have it be a bit more powerful as befits 25-50 pounds of plate steel/kevlar/ceramic inserts/etc.

This would also bring a new set of uses for drugs as they could be life saving if after a long thirsty trip through the desert you encounter wild dogs or what have you. Jet/Afterburner Gum/Whatever would now be a good emergency item to carry on long trips, to get that last bit of travel in without having to spend the night out resting. Mentats would be useful in negotiating accommodations after an arduous trip. Of course, side effects could be lethal as the after effects coupled with the environment might be enough to do you in if you remain stuck in the wastes.

PS: Bring back some end game utility for small arms. I didn't play NV because I was underwhelmed with FO3. FO1, FO2 and FO:T were all beatable readily without heavy weapons and/or energy weapons skills. It would be nice to return to a game architecture where there is more than one answer.

Welcome to NMA, jacob. =)

I liked your suggestions, and they kinda remind me of the rants I would go off on (not here, though) about what I wanted to see changed about FONV's Hardcore system. It was an excellent idea, I just felt like it could've done more. Speaking of which, DO NOT use the other titles as a reason not to play FONV. As far as weapon choices are concerned, FONV has the most to offer. You can make it to the end of the game with a Sniper Rifle (which I'm real fond of) or go for those crazier weapons like Plasma Rifles and the like if you'd prefer, and it had ample room for players who specialized in close quarters combat to end the game with melee weapons. FONV is also the first of the series that attempted to implement Energy Weapons for low-level character, which worked quite well. In short, FONV is a great game, it has its own set of flaws, but it does NOT share the same shortcomings with what weapons are on offer.

I kinda wish the gameworld was broken up into specific locations and that they were reached by another map, like in the originals. It would have provided a great opportunity to revamp the day/night cycle and allow all player interactions to transpire at real time (and give USE to the Wait feature) while causing travel to be a real time sink- as it should be. Of course that would mean abandoning the "open world" model that Bethesda is so damn fond of, despite its glaring shortcomings, so there was no hope in that, unless it was an effort orchestrated by a VERY ambitious modder...

But requiring food and rest were implemented in FONV, and I want to see them come back. FO3 and FONV kiiiinda created pros and cons to various armors, and I wouldn't mind seeing a return of that (provided they were significantly balanced). I'd like the character leveling system to keep in the direction that it went with FONV from FO3; space the rate that Perks are learned, limit the amount of skill points that can be accumulated over the course of the game, and generally make it much harder to reach the maximum level cap with 100% in every skill (which consequently makes for much tougher skill leveling earlier on, which is nice to have for any RPG). Essentially, "Don't undo the good that FONV did."

holy shit my first topic became hot

anyways on topic

i think chems needs to be more useful you always have large stacks of jet med-x psyco and buffout just sitting there and waiting to be used
but you rarely use them

that needs to change

ludisonmandela said:
holy shit my first topic became hot

anyways on topic

i think chems needs to be more useful you always have large stacks of jet med-x psyco and buffout just sitting there and waiting to be used
but you rarely use them

that needs to change

I pray for that day when i can call a new game hard.. Thank god for mods :)

One thing I really, really want removed.

Different textures for armor based on gender.

It pisses me off that putting on the clunky looking-merc uniform on a chick suddenly turns it into this midriff exposing skimpy shit. Or metal armor- how does the helmet just change from gender to gender? And the textures for a lot of them are horrible- the female Leather Armor is just ugly-looking.

You'll notice Obsidian didn't do this- the new armors they added are consistent from male-to female.

Plus, I gave Veronica some Metal Armor... and, well, with my Leather Armor (Mk II) we look like a goddamn Wasteland BDSM troupe.

Wumbology said:
One thing I really, really want removed.

Different textures for armor based on gender.

It pisses me off that putting on the clunky looking-merc uniform on a chick suddenly turns it into this midriff exposing skimpy shit. Or metal armor- how does the helmet just change from gender to gender? And the textures for a lot of them are horrible- the female Leather Armor is just ugly-looking.

You'll notice Obsidian didn't do this- the new armors they added are consistent from male-to female.

Plus, I gave Veronica some Metal Armor... and, well, with my Leather Armor (Mk II) we look like a goddamn Wasteland BDSM troupe.

You don't have to hide it.. We all know that you want to wear the dress from HH on your male character :D

Aren't Vault Dwellers unclothed underneath the suits?

I wouldn't imagine so. I mean undies would be a basic necessity people would be kind of uncomfortable with not having, that's why I always imagined they had some generic issue undergarments like cotton boxers/briefs for guys and cotton panties/sports bra for the ladies.

Back