What Remains: A Singleplayermod Basing on the FOnline Engine

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Surf Solar, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    Thanks again Aguirre and Thomas de Aynesworth. :oops:

To be honest, it's been quite a while since I played Tactics the last time. I'll maybe take a look at it again and the documents on the Vault Wiki, but I can't promise to build it in.

Now finishing the blog and finally I'm done. 's been a busy day for me today. :)

2. cvet

cvet First time out of the vault

May 21, 2009
    Good luck Surf Solar. I will monitor progress.

3. SharkClub

SharkClub Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    Really nice stuff so far, Surf Solar. Keep it up. :)

4. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Thank you! Quite an honour that you post here, +200 to motivation. :D

And thanks to Reconite too. ;)

Today I am finishing the character screen with my modified interface, maybe will make a blog update later.

5. Lavo

Lavo First time out of the vault

Dec 1, 2010
    Looks promising! I love the whole ideas you threw into this mod.
    I wish you luck, Surf.

6. Dude101

Dude101 Vault Fossil
    Modder

Aug 3, 2005
  7. killap

killap Bear Dude Moderator Modder

May 16, 2005
    This all sounds and looks really good. Best of luck Surf Solar!

8. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Thank you Kilap, there goes another +200 to motivation. :) As soon as I finished stuff for the FOnline:2238 team I'll make a new update on stuff to keep you all well, updated. :D

9. Lazlo

Lazlo Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 15, 2008
    Give me a shout if you need someone to proof-read your dialogue before release.

Looks beautiful, though. Really looking forward to this.

10. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Hey Lazlo, an honour to see here too! :)
    I'd ofcourse take your offer to proofread things, and since I know we both share the same look on the FO world you might be interested writing some persons or even dialogues too (ofcourse only if you want). ;)

11. TwoEyedYum

TwoEyedYum Naked Moose

Jan 21, 2010
    While new engine gives new possibilities, it's not possible yet to make maps like Coldwater. Tactics engine included multi-level structure, so interesting things like Junction City were possible (i still work on new maps and enjoy this engine).

I would vote for making something unique, not tied that much to previous games. Like Chicago, which wasn't really shown in FT - some texts just mentioned it, and Surf Solar can make this ruined city in a way he wants.

Good luck!

12. random1

random1 First time out of the vault

Dec 7, 2010
    :salute:
    I agree with everything you said here. Looking forward to this one.

You said the PC is not a hero but instead just another guy passing by.
    Can you share a bit more about the story?

Will this have no grand plot and instead focus on survival and confined interactions with the world and NPCs?

13. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Even though you can make "fake" multilevel maps via graphical tricks it is not possible to make multiple levels in Fonline mapper, yep. :/

Yep, for some reason creating the big cities is the most fun part for me, as one can hide many interesting things and stories in there. :)

Well, both. For sure survival is a big part, but ofcourse there is a plot behind it. ;) It is not a sandbox game and will have a definite end. The story rather concentrates on your character himself and his ways how to deal with the "new world" found in the postatomar wasteland and is connected over various npc and events found in the games process. It's a bit hard not to spoiler anything, but I wanted to make a little "story tidbits" update later anyway. (after the holidays though)

As for actual development status, the first few locations are completely done now and I am adjusting the difficulty now (it's a bit too hard :P ).

14. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

Jul 28, 2006
    You're doing one hell of a job here, son. Keep it up and don't forget: if lasers are in, give them some love. ;)

15. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Hello and sorry for the lack of news lately. I had some serious trouble in real life over the past few weeks and sadly lost some content from my mod too. This includes some stuff like maps and smaller scripts I created from the beginning sadly.

However this is not a "hackers stole my files and I cannot into further developping" update, it's more of a life sign. ;) It kicked me a bit back, I recreate the maps and stuff, but this is definitevly not stopping me from doing stuff. I have too much ideas to let this just slip, too important for me. :)

16. Soda_fr

Soda_fr It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 31, 2009
    that's finally some good news... I guess ;)

didn't you have a backup save for your mod's work ?

anyway, keep this spirit and keep us updated because your
    mod looks damn promising !

--
    Aguirre

17. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Yep, I learned from this mistake and set up some svn client. Just uploading all the files I need to have (client build x.x and so on) so that I will never lose anything again.

Thank you for your patience!

18. chewie

chewie Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Dec 3, 2005
    just remember - SVN is no backup solution (kind of common mistake)

Good luck & happy modding =)

19. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Updated my journal. ;)

Was getting pretty quiet on there, so I'll give the updates a bit more luvin' in the next time.

20. Fallout1FTW

Fallout1FTW Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 25, 2010
    Will you have any new SFX in it?