What Remains: A Singleplayermod Basing on the FOnline Engine

tester123 said:
any new updates?

Thanks for the interest tester123 :)

At the moment, we often hold story/sidestory crunch sessions and improve on some aspects of the setting. I've also needed to re-arrange most of the design docs (aka cleaning a huge mess ;D) since originally it wasn't planned that more than one guy (me) was needing the docs - so they were kind of messy and cluttered in many seperate files. Now, that more people help with, they needed to be re-arranged, because not everyone sees order in chaos like me. :P

So, as you can see, not much on fancy new screens to show there unfortunately. ;)

Wasjök said:
is it you on the game over screens (voice)?

Wish I had a voice of a fine, but sinister sounding english elderly gentleman. ;) So no, it's not me, it's a voice machine software I used.

I tried to do some new scenery graphics today, but failed (or atleast it didn't reach my "standard" of "hey this looks great", so I gotta improve it when I'm more in the mood. That's why I decided to do yet another mockup with some new music track and an ingame location (well only parts of). Why this is called the Abyss and what those voices in the background are - you'll see in the game then. ;P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDQmuPMq4M[/youtube]

Thomas de Aynesworth said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WKMNmFsxM[/youtube]

"Inspiration".

Fuck damn, that does not look like a Ghetto to me it looks like Stalker shadow of fucking tschernobyl...

"I thought this was America! Huh? Isn't this America?" Honestly, shit, fix that gogogo ?

Dr Prozac said:
How's the work going?

Work is a bit on hold since we are playing a wee bit on FOnline:2238 since it got updated, also some update on the engine introduced some nasty bugs (that apparently only occur for me :roll: ) which make the game run like a snail which basically means testing out stuff ingame becomes a chore. I hope it will be fixed asap. :/

Also, I have been thinking about to remove the worldmap travel alltogether and introduce a "worldmap" where you just click on the loaction you want to travel to and you're there. Before anyone screams "Blasphemy!" note that this decision is not set to stone yet. I basically want to remove grinding and the actual part of watching a spot on an image go from one point to the other - there is no "game" in that - it's only waiting. It'd also allow me to place encounters by hand, not with the "number of critters with this equipment spawns on this place" - I want it to be a bit more thorough than this. :)

It's 3 people now, and some "Freelancers" who just commit some stuff they make every now and then. ;)

Cool! I wish I would get help on my mod.
But then again, maybe I should really make that gameplay video so people will become interested
:wink:

Well, I personally virtually know nothing about your mod - only that you work on something. Making it a bit more well known would help, yep. ;)

Surf Solar said:
The Big Picture: This mod rather concentrates on storytelling, dialogues, player investigation, atmosphere and not really on combat style, saving the world, guys with miniguns and stuff. If you are more into cool new guns and loads of new and shiny stuff, this wont be your thing. If you enjoy immersing yourself into a more serious toned, "realistic" game with rich story telling, then you might like it as much as I do. But, as the biggest limitation I set to myself - I don't want to make it too big, it will feature 3-4 bigger locations and some smaller ones, not making it too huge. I take some unusual way of creating a game - I first make music for a location, and THEN create the location itself. Some other design approach.

Some Story Tidbits: I want this game to be as close in tone and asthetics as it can be to Fallout 1. The Games setting is located in the postwar USA of the "Big Lakes" region in the USA, no one really knows which year it already is, but seeing how fucked up the things are, the years after the great war can be counted on a few hands and toes. Same will be the main keyword of the mod: "Water". You will see many ruined cities too, as Chicago, Detroit and many other metropols lay in this area. You won't be the savior of the world, just some guy trying to come by, but this doesn't mean you can't influence your surrounding areas, doesn't it. ;)
So this mod is different from the original Fallout by having things fucked up. Wow, I can't wait to play this mod when I need to be depressed and emotional. :)

Surf Solar said:
It's 3 people now, and some "Freelancers" who just commit some stuff they make every now and then. ;)

Yeah, occasionally I wander in and do some stuff :P

Truth be told I find this lack of professional attitude at my side fucking depressing.
I am also promised to help out Lexx and I still have not done jack shit.
The fact that I am writing this while I am at school tells a lot.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Surf Solar said:

Yeah, occasionally I wander in and do some stuff :P

Truth be told I find this lack of professional attitude at my side fucking depressing.
I am also promised to help out Lexx and I still have not done jack shit.
The fact that I am writing this while I am at school tells a lot.

Don't worry, as I said this should never feel like "work", but a thing you've fun doing. ;) If you don't have time/mood, it's always ok to slack off, I am not some evil company boss throwing schedules around left and right. :P

And here's a random picture \o/

scrn_05_01asfjzd0ti.png

Surf Solar said:
Dr Prozac said:
How's the work going?
Also, I have been thinking about to remove the worldmap travel alltogether and introduce a "worldmap" where you just click on the loaction you want to travel to and you're there. Before anyone screams "Blasphemy!" note that this decision is not set to stone yet. I basically want to remove grinding and the actual part of watching a spot on an image go from one point to the other - there is no "game" in that - it's only waiting. It'd also allow me to place encounters by hand, not with the "number of critters with this equipment spawns on this place" - I want it to be a bit more thorough than this. :)
I actually like the travel part, as long as it doesn't take too long. But I guess that this can easily be adjusted. Anyway IMHO the classic travel style isn't all that important. You could make your idea work with nice loading screens building the atmosphere up, so the player would not feel like he is teleporting.

Also, I have been thinking about to remove the worldmap travel alltogether and introduce a "worldmap" where you just click on the loaction you want to travel to and you're there. Before anyone screams "Blasphemy!" note that this decision is not set to stone yet. I basically want to remove grinding and the actual part of watching a spot on an image go from one point to the other - there is no "game" in that - it's only waiting. It'd also allow me to place encounters by hand, not with the "number of critters with this equipment spawns on this place" - I want it to be a bit more thorough than this

Baldur's Gate did this really well by including dozens of between-town wildernesses, with minor random encounters between those. That'd be the first place to go for inspiration if I were you

Farmerk said:
Also, I have been thinking about to remove the worldmap travel alltogether and introduce a "worldmap" where you just click on the loaction you want to travel to and you're there. Before anyone screams "Blasphemy!" note that this decision is not set to stone yet. I basically want to remove grinding and the actual part of watching a spot on an image go from one point to the other - there is no "game" in that - it's only waiting. It'd also allow me to place encounters by hand, not with the "number of critters with this equipment spawns on this place" - I want it to be a bit more thorough than this

Baldur's Gate did this really well by including dozens of between-town wildernesses, with minor random encounters between those. That'd be the first place to go for inspiration if I were you

Yeah, this is what I meant and got my inspiration from. :) Those wilderness areas were nice, albeit a bit too many and too few things to do. I'd do just a less of them, but with more meaningful content. Traversing from one of these maps to the next would then just fast forward the games time, just as when someone would move on the Fallout style worldmap.

tester123 said:
What progress?

Aside from creating new graphics and writing dialogues, I couldn't do much lately, since the latest FOnline SDK revision seems to be bugged and runs even slower on my PC - plus I have a lot of private stuff going on at the moment and have more time in 2-3 weeks.

I've recently uploaded some ingame test video to show how the snow looks. It's here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhqfjvbRKQw[/youtube]

As you can see, it's a bit too overboard and the storm needs to be less severe, some of the scenery pieces need to be re-angled to the Fallout perspective (the junk barricades) etc. etc. Anyhow, it's progress - last time I tried this snow animation it ate almost 80% of my CPU power. :P

Back