What was the Funniest Argument You've had with a Bethesda Apologist?

You can roleplay someone who kills only with a knive, you can role play someone who is using a machinegun, or a plasma rifle, or a baseball bat, and you can also modify all of those weapons! The possibilities are endless. The only problem is you all lack the imagination to actually enjoy it.
Pretty much this. Plus you should add that you are and olschool Fallout fan and played 1 and 2 back in the 90s.

You can also base your character around who you feel like sleeping with.
Not only that, but the personality of the character's who you might feel like sleeping with, are based entirely around your character.

Since every single character is now player-sexual, and only exists in accordance to what they can do to the player, you can fuck everyone.

Pretty much this. Plus you should add that you are and olschool Fallout fan and played 1 and 2 back in the 90s.
To make it more authentic I should probably add that I never played it, because I didn't like the visuals and to much text.

To make it more authentic I should probably add that I never played it, because I didn't like the visuals and to much text.
It's an option, but you might also want some weight behind words against those filthy vegas-kids and more support from bethesdrones. Might also add that it's too bad but 1 and 2 are outdated both gameplay and visuals. And that fallout and post-apocalypse doesn't end on F1-2.
I wish it's all was a joke but I know someone thinking mostly like this.

You forgot to add to that the lack of quest markers to hold your hand and tell you what to do, I've actually heard people complain about the lack of floating buggy quest markers in older games.

I was talking to one of my friends about Fallout 3, as I've recently played through 1 and 2 and I'm now going through 3. He's only played 3 and 4. I said that so far, I like 1 the most, then I think 2 and New Vegas are roughly equal, and then I like 3 the least. He agreed, saying that "the gameplay wasn't all there yet, 4 got that right". I said that one of my problems with the game is that a bunch of the aspects of the world break the rules established in the previous two games. For example, everybody is still living off of pre-war food, for the most part. I said that, even if some salisbury steak managed to survive 200 years without going moldy, *even if* said steak was still edible after the nuclear blast and resulting fallout, how is there still any decent amount of pre-war food left? Shouldn't it have all been looted in a matter of years after the war? In Fallout 1 and 2, after all, pre-war food is uncommon and is, as far I saw, all entirely inedible (save for Nuka-Cola...).

He said that wastelanders would be able to eat the food despite the radiation, because they've grown up exposed to a lot of radiation and have developed a higher tolerance for it, whereas the Lone Wanderer, who grew up in a vault, gains rads and can get sick from eating too much. He said that a lot of the food you find is highly processed, and that the radiation could well have killed any bacteria living on the food. And then he said that if you assume that a city has enough food within its supermarkets and various stores to provide minimal sustenance (as in, just enough to live) to the population for maybe a couple of years, then when you consider that the population was much, MUCH smaller after the nuclear blasts, it's not too unreasonable to think that there could be some food still around, even 200 years later.

I said that these are all reasonable points for establishing Fallout's world, if Fallout 3 was the first game in the series. But Fallout 1 was set just 70-ish years after the war and demonstrates quite clearly that, save for some things like Nuka-Cola and a few expensive chems, very few pre-war consumables are still edible and people are mostly self-sufficient, as most towns have large farms growing corn and brahmin. So the abundance of pre-war food in Fallout 3 seems to pretty much ignore an aspect of the setting established in the first two games. And here's the bit I found ridiculous: He said that the reason for that is "lazy writing" IN FALLOUT 1 AND 2. He said that "Fallout 1 was just the developers testing some ideas, Fallout 2 they improved on it when the first game was successful, but it was in Fallout 3 when they started properly focusing on writing good, believable lore". This is somebody that's never actually played Fallout 1 or 2. I had no idea how to respond to that, so I left it there.

Sounds like someone who doesn't realize the guys behind Fallout actually put some science and history behind the setting. (A comment that dumb would stop me from trying too.)

I was talking to one of my friends about Fallout 3, as I've recently played through 1 and 2 and I'm now going through 3. He's only played 3 and 4. I said that so far, I like 1 the most, then I think 2 and New Vegas are roughly equal, and then I like 3 the least. He agreed, saying that "the gameplay wasn't all there yet, 4 got that right". I said that one of my problems with the game is that a bunch of the aspects of the world break the rules established in the previous two games. For example, everybody is still living off of pre-war food, for the most part. I said that, even if some salisbury steak managed to survive 200 years without going moldy, *even if* said steak was still edible after the nuclear blast and resulting fallout, how is there still any decent amount of pre-war food left? Shouldn't it have all been looted in a matter of years after the war? In Fallout 1 and 2, after all, pre-war food is uncommon and is, as far I saw, all entirely inedible (save for Nuka-Cola...).

He said that wastelanders would be able to eat the food despite the radiation, because they've grown up exposed to a lot of radiation and have developed a higher tolerance for it, whereas the Lone Wanderer, who grew up in a vault, gains rads and can get sick from eating too much. He said that a lot of the food you find is highly processed, and that the radiation could well have killed any bacteria living on the food. And then he said that if you assume that a city has enough food within its supermarkets and various stores to provide minimal sustenance (as in, just enough to live) to the population for maybe a couple of years, then when you consider that the population was much, MUCH smaller after the nuclear blasts, it's not too unreasonable to think that there could be some food still around, even 200 years later.

I said that these are all reasonable points for establishing Fallout's world, if Fallout 3 was the first game in the series. But Fallout 1 was set just 70-ish years after the war and demonstrates quite clearly that, save for some things like Nuka-Cola and a few expensive chems, very few pre-war consumables are still edible and people are mostly self-sufficient, as most towns have large farms growing corn and brahmin. So the abundance of pre-war food in Fallout 3 seems to pretty much ignore an aspect of the setting established in the first two games. And here's the bit I found ridiculous: He said that the reason for that is "lazy writing" IN FALLOUT 1 AND 2. He said that "Fallout 1 was just the developers testing some ideas, Fallout 2 they improved on it when the first game was successful, but it was in Fallout 3 when they started properly focusing on writing good, believable lore". This is somebody that's never actually played Fallout 1 or 2. I had no idea how to respond to that, so I left it there.
Get your friend to play New Vegas. If he loves it, make him analyze why. Then ask him to ponder on what New Vegas has and 3/4 lack. This is what lead me to the classic Fallouts. New Vegas is a gateway drug for Bethesdrones to find the classic games. If they love the strong roleplaying and story in New Vegas, then they will notice it is lacking from 3/4 and look for more. Be honest to them about the classics and help them along. Playing the classics can be rough for people who have only played 3/4, like a shock to the system. They may need help with handling the UI and nuances, but if they love the actual roleplaying and story, then they will stick with it and love it. Start them out with 1 because even though 2 is newer, 1 is concise and the combat isn't as harsh. It isn't about the lore so much as it is about the experience. The established lore is just a means to reach the characters and story.

This is a gem I found from someone who didn't know Fallout 1 and 2 existed.

"I'm a big fan but I still find the fallout series confusing so I thought the vaults were created to house people during the nuclear war but apparently the rreal reason behind them was conduct social experiments about how people behave when isolated for 200 years"

He's a big fan of the series he's only played the latter 3rd of. And it's sad that the vaults have been reduced to social experiments. Like Fallout isn't supposed to be youtube ffs.

This is a gem I found from someone who didn't know Fallout 1 and 2 existed.

"I'm a big fan but I still find the fallout series confusing so I thought the vaults were created to house people during the nuclear war but apparently the rreal reason behind them was conduct social experiments about how people behave when isolated for 200 years"

He's a big fan of the series he's only played the latter 3rd of. And it's sad that the vaults have been reduced to social experiments. Like Fallout isn't supposed to be youtube ffs.

As much as I like some of the Vault experiments, I'd actually prefer it if most Vaults were control and only a few were experiments. Anyway he's wrong, only 2 Vaults were intended to stay closed. Vault 13 for 200 years, Vault 101 forever.

But I digress. He calls himself a big fan but hasn't played the first 2 games? He's missing out big time.

fWYPeVO.png

"Fallout 4 actually gives your choices"

"Interplay lore was just as bad as Bethesda lore. They had The Tardis, Time Travel, Skynet and Dinosaurs as part of canon lore"

"Interplay lore was just as bad as Bethesda lore. They had The Tardis, Time Travel, Skynet and Dinosaurs as part of canon lore"
Yeah! Power to Bethestards! Anything in bold I added/edited.

Jesus Jews makes sense because they explain it's ancient alien magic. Duh.

X-01 in a theme park makes sense because we can infer from the limited evidence given that the evil pre-war world which wasn't so bad after all needed soldiers to fight the Chinese. Duh.

Synths make sense because they have a big machine and lots of canisters. That many canisters means something is ajar! I have no fucking clue Duh.

The lack of settlements makes sense because there are so many raiders! This one is easy! Duh.

The amount of raiders makes sense because there is so much food lying around. Duh.
Now they haven't replied when I have asked them about why there is so much food but I'm sure I'm in for a treat.

@SarcasticGoodGuy Some of those make my head hurt.

Like, if raiders make sense because there's so much food lying around, why do people need to be raiders to begin with?

And if the pre-war world needed soldiers to fight the Chinese, why are they putting an advanced set of Power Armor that shouldn't have been invented yet, in a fucking theme park rather than on the front lines.

Good luck in your battle against the Bethestards, I hope you keep your sanity by the end of it.

Now they haven't replied when I have asked them about why there is so much food but I'm sure I'm in for a treat.
I wish you luck on discussing stuff with the Bethestards. By the way, where are you having these discussions?

I tried on r/Fallout for a bit and part of my brain died a little when doing so which is why I've stopped visiting r/Fallout. At least the other gaming subreddits are a lot better in discussing and critiquing Failout 4.

Back