What was the Funniest Argument You've had with a Bethesda Apologist?

Eh, but I don't think that voice acting is always a good thing. The problem for example, is that a lot of nuances get lost with it. Like your own imagination, or what happens when the character is drunk, or speaking in accent, or what ever. I think you get the picture. When I played Baldurs Gate, Planescape and also Fallout, I came across many situations where I simply can't imagine a proper way to make it voiced, because the developers intentionally played with the fact that it is ... well ... text that you read, they used the medium to get a certain mood across.

Imagine it like this, you come across a bed in Fallout 1 or 2, the bed shares the same texture like all beds, but the text says that it is full of lice, you imediatelly have this image in your head of a bed filled with small nasty critters. Now imagine the same scene in Fallout 3 or 4 that has NO describtions, if you wanted to create the same feeling, you would have to make a 3D version of the bed with moving lice on it. But which game goes to such lengths to add a rather meaningless detail? Would that be even feasible?

Text if used correctly, can do a lot here. But of course, try to explain that to people that have the attention span of a gold fish - and are sadly the main demographic for many PC games today ...

Eh, but I don't think that voice acting is always a good thing. The problem for example, is that a lot of nuances get lost with it. Like your own imagination, or what happens when the character is drunk, or speaking in accent, or what ever. I think you get the picture. When I played Baldurs Gate, Planescape and also Fallout, I came across many situations where I simply can't imagine a proper way to make it voiced, because the developers intentionally played with the fact that it is ... well ... text that you read, they used the medium to get a certain mood across.

Imagine it like this, you come across a bed in Fallout 1 or 2, the bed shares the same texture like all beds, but the text says that it is full of lice, you imediatelly have this image in your head of a bed filled with small nasty critters. Now imagine the same scene in Fallout 3 or 4 that has NO describtions, if you wanted to create the same feeling, you would have to make a 3D version of the bed with moving lice on it. But which game goes to such lengths to add a rather meaningless detail? Would that be even feasible?

Text if used correctly, can do a lot here. But of course, try to explain that to people that have the attention span of a gold fish - and are sadly the main demographic for many PC games today ...

For the player-character, being voiceless is the preferred route. I think for NPCs it's better to voice them. You can hammer down the character a lot better - but I do see your point.

Think about how much would be taken away from the experience of meeting the Master if it wasn't voiced. NPCs should definitely be voiced so long as it is done well, but Player Characters should never be voiced in a RPG like Fallout. Having almost unlimited possibilities for a character in New Vegas was a really powerful thing. With 4 you have so little wiggle room for developing a character or playing as yourself because of the confines of the story and voice-over.

I don't know if object descriptions could work well in first-person, especially because you could walk up to the bed and see that there are no nasty critters. There were so few pixels per object in 1/2, and the perspective was so far from it that there could be anything in the bed. There certainly is a little something missing without the object descriptions, but this can be supplemented with descriptions by NPCs or notes.

Voiced characters are important only if it is important for the player to know what the character sounds like. Fallout got this right. All the major characters are voiced. Your random schmuck around the corner isn't.

Voiced characters are important only if it is important for the player to know what the character sounds like. Fallout got this right. All the major characters are voiced. Your random schmuck around the corner isn't.
Also, it felt amazing to find a talking head, because they were really well done. All the talking heads had their won character, agenda and what not, absolutely worth it.

Orginal poster: For Christmas I got Xbox gift cards and I want fallout 4 Dlc so if you factor in price name the dlcs from worst to best please I don't wanna get scammed:(

Me:
My recommendation wait for goty edition.

Either that or go in this order fart harbour -》automatron -》everything else.

Or just do yourself a favour and buy a good game instead. I recommend Many a True Nerd awards of 2016 for that.

Retard:
I'd recommend getting the season pass if you're interested in all the DLC, but if not, here's a guide based on my experience. How much money do you have? Because depending on how much, I've ranked them best to worst:

Nuka World>Far Harbor>Automatron>Vault Tec>Wasteland Workshop>Contraptions

Only get the last three if you care about the settlement mode. The rest are story DLCs.

Or just do yourself a favour and buy a good game instead.

Part of my post.

Bloody hell, can you never be helpful without being insanely condescending?

Me:
You recommend season pass to him? Seriously?

And people think I am crazy.

This thing costs 50$ and 4 things are settlement crafting.

He is better off with fart harbour and automatron, which cost 35$ total.

Him:
Nuka World isn't a settlement DLC, nor is Automatron. Nuka World is 20$, Far Harbor is 25$. Getting those two alone costs 45$, so if he's interested in all the DLC, it's better to spend the 50$ on the pass than 70$ on all of them individually.

Besides, maybe he likes the settlement mode. A lot of people did.

Orginal poster: For Christmas I got Xbox gift cards and I want fallout 4 Dlc so if you factor in price name the dlcs from worst to best please I don't wanna get scammed:(

Me:
My recommendation wait for goty edition.

Either that or go in this order fart harbour -》automatron -》everything else.

Or just do yourself a favour and buy a good game instead. I recommend Many a True Nerd awards of 2016 for that.

Retard:
I'd recommend getting the season pass if you're interested in all the DLC, but if not, here's a guide based on my experience. How much money do you have? Because depending on how much, I've ranked them best to worst:

Nuka World>Far Harbor>Automatron>Vault Tec>Wasteland Workshop>Contraptions

Only get the last three if you care about the settlement mode. The rest are story DLCs.

Or just do yourself a favour and buy a good game instead.

Part of my post.

Bloody hell, can you never be helpful without being insanely condescending?

Me:
You recommend season pass to him? Seriously?

And people think I am crazy.

This thing costs 50$ and 4 things are settlement crafting.

He is better off with fart harbour and automatron, which cost 35$ total.

Him:
Nuka World isn't a settlement DLC, nor is Automatron. Nuka World is 20$, Far Harbor is 25$. Getting those two alone costs 45$, so if he's interested in all the DLC, it's better to spend the 50$ on the pass than 70$ on all of them individually.

Besides, maybe he likes the settlement mode. A lot of people did.

How is Nuka World better than Far Harbor?

So there's this two Bethestards (pardon me for the use of such vulgar language. I'd use 'apologists' but they went WAY past the threshold) who:
  1. Insisted how Mr Caption's 'No Todd, No Master' review of Fallout 4 were a subjective opinion so it's not valid in judging the value of Fallout 4 as an 'RPG'
  2. But then had the guts to turn around and proudly proclaim how Fallout 1&2, objectively, unironically, SERIOUSLY, had 'bad' designs'.
This two guys keep circlejerking each other in THAT comment, I honestly couldn't tell if they were outright trolling/baiting, or ACTUALLY retarded.

So there's this two Bethestards (pardon me for the use of such vulgar language. I'd use 'apologists' but they went WAY past the threshold) who:
  1. Insisted how Mr Caption's 'No Todd, No Master' review of Fallout 4 were a subjective opinion so it's not valid in judging the value of Fallout 4 as an 'RPG'
  2. But then had the guts to turn around and proudly proclaim how Fallout 1&2, objectively, unironically, SERIOUSLY, had 'bad' designs'.
This two guys keep circlejerking each other in THAT comment, I honestly couldn't tell if they were outright trolling/baiting, or ACTUALLY retarded.

Actually retarded most likely.

Talking about voice actors, didn't the guy that did Three Dog say something about FO3 not being the last time we heard from Three Dog?

Why am I not surprised that this thread is still chugging along. Keep up the great work everyone! :)

(back on topic): I encountered a very adamant individual who insisted that Marcus was not in FO2, when I provided screenshots of in game footage, they merely scoffed at the proof, and stated that its not Bethesda's Marcus since he was only in New Vegas.

Such dumb, much wow, I can't even right now.

Let me guess: one of them was called "Dia Nuevo"?

Let me guess: one of them was called "Dia Nuevo"?
Yep, and you should see the other guy who keeps circlejerk with him, as if they are really, REALLY desperate to have the last words, in that comment where I only posted like 3 times.

I called out their bullshit, but they can only resort to "LOL YOU INSULTED ME, LOL" instead of addressing the very few points I gave. I see no need to repeat other's points, so I did the dirty work instead.

Yep, and you should see the other guy who keeps circlejerk with him, as if they are really, REALLY desperate to have the last words, in that comment where I only posted like 3 times.

I called out their bullshit, but they can only resort to "LOL YOU INSULTED ME, LOL" instead of addressing the very few points I gave. I see no need to repeat other's points, so I did the dirty work instead.

Yeah, I took part in that conversation (Lucas Delfino).

People say which game you like is a matter of opinion, I strongly agree with that. But "which game is the better RPG" is non-negotiable, and it's no coincidence that the Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 crowd, always, always, fail to properly defend their games. There's nothing more annoying than some moron who thinks he is right, but just won't listen to reason. Some dude actually told me that the Courier Duster in New Vegas is "edgy", despite failing to realize that dusters were pretty common in the West (which is basically the entire setting of New Vegas, a post-post-apocalyptic western).

Where do you even find people like this ?

leddit, YouTube. You know, places that just need to have dem "like" and "dislike" buttons because it is easier to dislike your comment instead of arguing against it.

It also gets tiring when they go full "ohh you are insulting me", which is why I personally love arguing on the Codex, as no one pulls shit like that on you (not that we need to, "Fallout 4 is a shit RPG" is universal truth both here and in there, and thankfully so).

Back