What we'd like to see in New Vegas?

Ausir

Venerable Relic of the Wastes
This is a list of some things (both gameplay-wise and lore-wise) that were in previous Fallouts (including Van Buren) and I'd like to see included in Fallout: New Vegas, and that wouldn't be impossible to do even while keeping Fallout 3's overall gameplay system intact.

* Traits
* Low-intelligence dialogues
* Ending narration that shows you the results of your actions on various communities and people you came across
* Perks every 3 levels instead of every level, and more interesting perks
* Tying perks only to skills and stats (with higher requirements), without a level requirement (like JE Sawyer himself proposed during the development of Van Buren)
* Higher maximum skill level, making it impossible to become a jack of all trades
* The higher the skill you want to increase, the more skill points you have to pay for one %
* Main stats having more influence on derived statistics and skills
* Strength requirements for weapons

* Poseidon Energy - given how important this corporation was Pre-War, I found it weird that it's not even mentioned in FO3
* Lots of references to Van Buren, so at the very least the story and backstory will be officially canon :) (e.g. Mentions of the NCR-Brotherhood war)
* Characters from Hoover Dam and maybe the Dam itself, given the proximity

A whole lot of stuff above has been addressed in mods, so I'll stick to the more hard coded stuff they should do.

* Gambling. I always get sucked into gambling in RPG's.

* Complex Karma, as is it is too simple. Make it so that you can lose karma while performing good deeds by taking the easy route. Actions should also gain you reputations, so you have a nice little reminder of the cool deeds you have done.

* Diary: I dont care if fallout does not do this, most other western RPG's do and it is helpful. It would be even nicer to be able to export it, so that you can compare with other people how you carved a path through the game.

* Complex melee and martial arts. Oblivion was actually more deep than Fallout 3 when it comes to fighting. Somebody should do something about this. It would be nice to perform some cool moves for extra damage.

* Tribals: tattoos, piercings, axes, bows, poison, shamanistic medicine, cool outfits.

* Race, skin and build are different things: when creating a new character you should be able to choose a skin, build and race separately. That way you can use the same skin with scars, tattoos, freckles, body hair or whatever for a black, white, asian or latino character. Same with build, I would like to see some beer guts on some while others are skiny, and some women are plain while others are plainly exagerated.

* Horsies. They are anti-cannon but I dont care. Fallout has always felt a little bit like a western to me so I would love to see some mangy, mutated horses. You could ride giant ants or centaurs but I dont think I would want to...

* Procedural generation: I dont care if fans end up making 1000 generic maps with it, I rather 1000 generics over the almost nill output we have right now.

All the above, plus:

Groin shots, you forgot the groin shots,damn it !! :) And with the appropriate animation, hehe.

The place is Nevada desert, so I would like to see Geckos, the Golden and the Fire variety too.

No more searches for your daddy/mammy/granny or any objects like the waterchip/GECK or your missing diary.

I would like to see something fresh, like new factions, new enemies, along with the usual ones.

Me too believes, the unused VB material, if properly used, would give a good vibe to the game.

Also item descriptions would be quite welcome.

* Horsies. They are anti-cannon but I dont care. Fallout has always felt a little bit like a western to me so I would love to see some mangy, mutated horses. You could ride giant ants or centaurs but I dont think I would want to...

According to Avellone, horses are extinct.

Ausir said:
Also item descriptions would be quite welcome.

Yeah, I researched that once when I was wondering why they never did it. That is why I refered to it as anti-cannon, but if somebody pulled a jurassic park and put some in the game I wouldent cry over it, especially if you can shoot from horseback.

Yeah, I researched that once when I was wondering why they never did it. That is why I refered to it as anti-cannon, but if somebody pulled a jurassic park and put some in the game I wouldent cry over it, especially if you can shoot from horseback.

I'd actually prefer e.g. giant molerats as mounts, as in one of the FO3 concept arts from the artbook.

Nice, I never saw that image. I'll do a search when I'm not at work (very limited here).

Another couple of things:

* Non lethal combat: very rare in games since it is always about killing foes, but I would be glad to knock somebody out and depending on how evil I am either turn them in to the opposing faction (i.e. raiders to the sherif), take their weapons and armor and leave them in the desert to starve or even plant a land mine next to them for when they wake up. By making XP not dependant on killing foes you could make the game real interesting.

* Alternate ammo and fire modes: click on a button to remove the weapon you are wielding from your inventory and replace it for a clone that works differently. This can be done with mods already but I would like to make it standard practice, so that shotguns can use exotic ammo and machine guns can be set to single, burst or full auto.

Ausir said:

Yeah, probably hungry dwellers ate them, during the first years after the bombs fell.

Life is harsh and unforgiving in the wasteland.

I'd like to not see the Enclave or the BoS or even Super Mutants (at least in a large group context). Everything else I'd like to see, Ausir and lugaru already said. :)

I would like to see them stealing from other games.

Thief 3 stealth
No seriously, Thief 3 had the best situational awareness AND the lack of it in any games I have played. I would love to see some "missions" where you can just hide and steal and use blackjack and all. I am tired of NPCs seeing you when you are behind them and all.

Also Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay meelee
That game had the most satisfying meele and unarmed feeling that I have ever encountered. The punches and daggers were just... satisfying.

Brothers in Arms or (going waaay back) Freedom Fighters squad orders
Those games had the best squad use mechanics and also the cover mechanics. Everyone took cover, you could issue some basic orders and the fight would be good...

I have to admit that I wouldn't mind if the Enclave didn't appear. BoS maybe, but not bethesdaished. Super Mutants are a maybe too.

really, truly...the ONLY thing i care about is that this time the humor, the dialogue, the atmosphere as a whole is "Fallout" and not "Bethesda".

all the other stuff is so far down on my list. i really just want this game to FEEL right. (also the re-emergence of the lil' text-box would be nifty). :mrgreen:

EDIT: OH-OH--OH-OHHHHHHHHH!!! and i really, really, want/need to see S.P.E.C.I.A.L. actually properly implemented.

annnnnd, i want my choices to have REAL consequences.

these things.

I don't mind a few super mutants appearing, but I hope they won't be a major faction. And I'd prefer them to look more like they did in FO1 and 2.

What I'd really like to see is the life of different communities really struggling for survival. Not just some groups of people, not just some settlements with senseless backgrounds that don't give a fuck about each other, but the settlements that have reasons to exist. That fight for *scarce* resources. Maybe even fight with each other. Or unite with each other. But fighting to survive, not just willing to live in a luxury apartment like Tenpenny towers (sigh).

They have to be struggling for basic needs: food, sex, shelter, safety. In FO3 you didn't see that. The world seemed to be overfilled with resources, the communities were senseless.

Big bad guys are okay, but I'd like to see different groups of people first and foremost.

This is it if we're talking about a timeline of Fallout.

If the timeline is something about Fallout 2 or later, it's okay to see more civilized life, the renaissance of the world. When the basic needs are mostly fulfilled and people have higher-level needs like needs for communication, comfort, justice, beauty etc. And they can still preserve the basic needs.

It worked okay for me in Fallout 2 mostly. Cause the world seemed to be partly restored. Fallout 3 failed here. Why the fuck should people be playing violins, listening to radio and writing fucking wasteland guides if their living is still like shit?

I would like to see a new sinister cult, something like the Children of the Cathedral or the Servants of the Mushroom Cloud in Wasteland.

People would respect them out of fear while telling tales of strange going ons in their church or temple.

The List:

Oh shit where to begin.......I know many things have already been said but I'll just put down my ideas for completion.

*Give ammo & everything, weapons,meds (bottlecaps too) weight (RL weight approximations)

*Perks...less perks which boost skills & SPECIAL and more which imbue some special ability not achievable otherwise.

*Redo SPECIAL for example strength requirements for heavy weapons (and or power armor requirements to wield them).

* Make it so you can no longer fix "crippled" limbs UNLESS you have a very high medicine skill. If not you will have to see a real doctor to fix it.

*Make radscorpions poison you and if you don't have antidote you will be succumb to the poison. Also redo the scorpions texture to this http://www.centralpets.com/critter_images/insects/scorpions/SCP_0006200_20030415214842.jpg color scheme which is a NEVADA scorpion. Consistency makes all the difference.

*Get rid of weapon degradation affecting how much DAMAGE a gun does. This is ridiculous. The only things weap condition should affect are accuracy & reliability (jamming) Weapons can still degrade but just far slower.

*Make power armors much more protective and possibly immune to small arms pistol rounds. Also you should be immune to scorpion poison while wearing power armor. Also no more knifing someone in power armor. Also NO SNEAKING in power armor.

*no more pip boy pausing realtime. You'll need to make sure your surrounding are safe before using it.

*insta stimpack health replenishment need to not be so instant.

*Backpacks or some sort of mechanism to visually depict how you are carrying your items. Also if you have followers they have backpacks as well to hold your excess stuff.

*VATS needs to be changed so you take the same amount of damage as in realtime. Thus no longer making it the cheat mode it currently is.

* weapons need to be appropriately deadly/accurate for their type & condition. A missile is a missile. It will f..k you up and should. Miniguns should be something you don't want to have pointed at you. All the more incentive not to get hit by one or take out that guy pointing it at you ready to fire ASAP. Combat needs to be way more tactical and hinge on deciding who & what to take out first to maximize you chances of survival. De incentive-ize this 'run at each other till one of you drops' idiotic, simplistic, boring gameplay.

*fix the invisible barriers which block your shots when you are visually cleared of the object.

* Enemies in general need to be ungimped by not having shitty broken weapons & armor + pathetic gimped health on top of that. Let's make things challenging so you feel like you actually accomplished something hard fought instead of just pwning the world.

*feral ghouls don't need bottlecaps as loot.....

*Make enemies able to be wounded and lying on the ground yet not dead. They could bleed out or you could go up and try to extract some info out of them before they die. Or you could give them a stimpack to save them in return for info.

*Fast travel....I don't like it. A better alternative is needed.

*Make areas look distinctive and not so "samey" I get immensely tired of seeing the same damn buildings/models/textures everywhere. Unique locations are a must.

*Ability to give NPCs weapons or armor without having to pickpocket them

*Karma is bullshit. Reputation should be on an individual NPC basis depending on what they know/heard/seen of you.

*Duststorms......It's the desert let's make it awesome.

* New enemies which are native to the region. I can't think of any specifics right now but I'll add some as I figure out some good candidates. For example on what NOT to include are mirelurks....crabs + desert = really stupid.

* If there are super mutants do something new with them like make them a different color (maybe more reddish to simulate more sun exposure).

*Quests/story/plot etc....yes please make all of these things make some sense, be compelling and not insulting to gamers intelligence. "fetch" quests are REALLY REALLY boring unless there is something extraordinarily important to fetch. Violins and Cola are not something any sane person should give a f..k about in the post apocalypse. Fetch quests if done need to be integral to the greater story not trivial BS errands. Also don't make people choose between 2 equally shitty choices in quest outcomes. One way to avoid this is make the "good" choice FAR FAR more demanding and time consuming to accomplish when compared to the "bad" choice. However ideally more than 2 outcomes would be desired (see the "oasis" quest for a good example of a quest done right). No ridiculous artificial conundrums just choices that aren't deliberately stupid and unnecessarily conflicted to create fake 'conflict' where none should exist.

In summary make them smart.

*fix how you can see something yet you cannot shoot it...this is really irritating as you have to get close before you can engage enemies. Also enemies should have the equal ability to spot you from way out and start taking shots at you as well.

*Item descriptions in pip boy...a no brainer. Please

*No more numerical "ammo" count for energy weapon ammo. Just have the "pack" and its "charge" level.

*Open up buildings so you (and enemies) can fire from high story buildings and have epic warfare/assaults rather than the typical everybody is hanging out at ground level and the boring gameplay that brings. Think WW2 where a sniper is pinning you down from a 5th story window or something. MORE TACTICAL. less mindless street clusterf..king. Make enemies take maximum advantage of their surroundings which will make things more challenging for the player.

*Make it so you must eat something (anything) to stay alive. It doesn't have to be alot or often but you should have to eat something once in a while to sustain yourself. It would really add to the tactical nature. If you fail to eat then you could slowly get weaker and weaker until you find some food/water.

Ok that's all for now. I know there is tons more but I can't think of it all right now. I'll add to it later maybe.

Back