What's the worst video game you've ever played?

Blacksite...

It had everything : missing storyline, missing scripts, missing AI, bugs, missing textures, shitty weapons....

Fuel...

Shitty off road game, slow-paced, no collisions...sucked ass.

Fable 2

Are you fucking kidding me ? Most retarded gameplay design ever. It embodies everything that is wrong with "rpgs" nowadays...No choices, no consequences, you can't die, equipment does not matter, poor story telling, dumb combats...

Santoka said:
Hahaha, I'm playing it now, and it's not that bad, not as bad as Dragon Age at least.

Don't misunderstand me, it isn't a bad game. I was liking the story so far, some of the quests, the character progression, but it was really hard to take control of the game sometimes. They could've been better off to leave full control of your companions, and multiple selection. I just stopped playing it because each time, it took longer and longer to load, and the savegames were taking quite a big slice of my Hard Drive. And the ugly framerate(I had a Geforce 8600 goddamnit!) just putted you off when the loading finished.

Maybe I should just skip to Mask of the Betrayer, since I heard it's pretty good(MCA worked on it right?).

Fallout 3.

Also; FFVIII >>> FFVII. I don't even care that the junction system failed, I enjoyed playing VIII a LOT more than VII.

FFIII (JP: VI) was by far the best in the series. Kefka was just badass.

Also; Out of this world was pretty horrendous, as was Friday the 13th.

"Worst game" needs qualification. I've played many bad games that were simply boring or barely-functional. I'm going to confine my nominations to games that have no excuse for being bad. They had solid financial backing, lots of hype, and/or were part of a series that was already good.

Neverwinter Nights. This game had everything going for it - until it was released and you actually got to play it. It dispensed with everything good about Baldur's Gate and replaced it with bad, bad, bad. I've never bothered with NWN2 because NWN was so bad. The backing and user-modibility NWN got should've gone to Temple of Elemental Evil, which is a far superior game in most respects.

Halo. I played it through once, shrugged, and never played it again. I tried to play it again a couple of times, but it was just so unenjoyable I finally gave up and erased it from my HD once and for all. Possibly the most overrated game ever made.

E.T. I hated the movie when I was a kid, and I can testify that the game was worse than the movie. This is, hands down, the number one worst game of all time considering the hype and backing it got. It negatively impacted the entire video game industry.

EA Sports John Madden NFL {insert year}. This franchise is the biggest ongoing scam in the video game industry, period. A completely half-assed effort that sells millions of copies every year. EA tweaks the player ratings and the graphics slightly and sells the same game over and over. The core game mechanics haven't been improved for at least 10 years.

Mechwarrior 4, Doom 3 and Fallout 3 were similar in a way that they completely stripped their predecessors of their good qualities, and then raped them.

Hey, that metaphor works !

FFXII makes my list of worst big budget games I've ever played. Fable had one of the worst save systems. Honestly I have trouble thinking of too many that I've actually played since I try to stay away from the ones with horrendous reputations and crappy games that I do happen upon I usually quit before getting too into. Also, there are some games which are bad but in a funny way, especially with friends.

Metroid is a game which I have trouble with after playing for awhile, it's just become so dated and lacks features which I'd consider common sense these days, like decent direction or at least a bloody map. Dragon Rage was about the bare minimum that you could do with a game like that (flying shooter game). I'm sure that I've played really bad SNES and NES games, I just can't remember them.

Superman 64 looks like it's up there for worst games ever, along with Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

rcorporon said:
FFVII was a worth entry into the FF series IMO, as it expanded on the esper system from FFIII (which was awesome).
I have mixed feelings about the material system. I honestly would love it if it were coupled with another system that provided good character differentiation. The system results in minimizing character differences and making small stat differences (had they been larger it would have been better), attack range, and limit breaks the only defining aspects (gameplay wise).

rcorporon said:
FFVIII was a terrible mess with unlikable characters, fairly lame story and a magic system that was designed to piss off the player.
I really liked 8's characters and story the first time I played it, though it's been awhile. That said, drawing is the single worse system in any game ever. It's fucking tedious as hell and when joined with the junction system, completely discourages use of magic both by usually being made woefully underpowered due to the junction system and due to the player wanting to avoid having to draw any more at all costs. Drawing might have worked had you only had to draw from each enemy once and had the size of the stack of the spell not changed the power of the junction.

rcorporon said:
FFIX though set the ship right.
Agreed, it's probably the best FF games as I can't really think of any flaws not present in the rest.

FFX had a decent combat system though it suffered greatly from having to rotate characters in and have them preform an action in order for them to gain experience. It also had the weakest cast of any FF game since FFV, with Yuna and Tidus being absolutely painful protagonists with crappy and annoying voice acting and only one really good character, Auron. Had Wakka been the low end of the scale or had every character been as over the top as him, they would have been fine. That said, it's the best FF game ever if you stop playing right before washing up in Besaid. I liked the battle system and how it took a TRPG approach to showing turn order.

Currently on the top of the modern game list is Final Fantasy XIII.
For several reasons. I want to finish it before I review it but I don't even know if I can. Most of the complaints are the corridors, the alien feeling world (some back story could've helped), annoying characters (Tried to like 'em but it's the same crap, whiney, bitchy teens).
When it comes to that story why the hell am I given cliffs notes the whole way through?
Worse than 12? I doubt that. From what I've read and heard, the problem is that the game has a 20-25 hour long tutorial (takes that long to get full access to battle commands), afterwhich point the game is quite good. While that's completely unforgivable, I'd hardly say that it's a fundimentally flawed as 8's magic system or 12's gameplay. 12 has rare monsters that are tedious to make appear, requiring a gameguide to make the majority of them appear, a gambit system which you have to find or buy all of the gambits for which fucks the system, the end result of the gambit system which, once you have the proper gambits, results in the player only controlling movement which only matters against the super bosses, the super bosses with excessive amounts of HP which turn the battle from being about power level to being about endurance, as you have to control the range your characters are at in order to beat them, and a main character (Vann) and his friend (Pennelo) who are completely extraneous, are poorly written (when they are even written for), and there entirely to appeal to a part of Japanese audiences.

Despite how much I like Asterix & Obelix as characters and setting, I completely abhor this game. It is uttery boring, had subpar graphics, virtually no plot and a nonexistent gameplay. You basically had to run vertically from one point to another.

As for FFVIII; This one is my favorite in the series next to FFVI. Altough the plot was confusing I really could emphatize with the characters and situation, LOVED the art direction and atmosphere and the I liked spamming aura and limit breaks (the battles were still way more challenging than say the ones in Legend of Dragoon)
This was the only game in the series which had good monster design.
Squall >> Cloud BTW[/url]

WillisPDunlevey said:
Most of the Atari Games I had as a kid sucked (though they were better than "Pong" only consoles)
This is why I never get the ET hate. Yeah, ET sucked, but look at it's contemporaries. I don't remember ET being anymore outstandingly shitty than Adventure or Combat or your typical Atari fare.

Ratty said:
* Daikatana. I don't think this one needs to be explained.
It doesn't, but it took balls for you to publicly 'fess up to playing this one, not many people do. I keep my copy around, as kind of a reminder to avoid games of it's ilk. I think Daikatana has to be considered the biggest dud ever. It's not that there aren't a lot of uninspired, generic, shitty FPS that are worse. But Daikatana was a monumental bomb. It's like the Waterworld or Gigli of the gaming industry.

MrBumble said:
Fable 2

Are you fucking kidding me ? Most retarded gameplay design ever. It embodies everything that is wrong with "rpgs" nowadays...No choices, no consequences, you can't die, equipment does not matter, poor story telling, dumb combats...
No. Just, no.
You're wrong, that all there is to it.

Its really matter of taste, but honestly there are worse games then Fallout 3 and one of them is FarCry 2. But the biggest FAIL I have to say was Deus Ex 2. Hell good example that simplifying always does not work.
And lets not forget Crysis Warhead. Seriously main chair is guy called Psycho who preaches proper code of conduct to his buddy who shows some initiative and starts crying when random NPC gets fragged.

NWN2 really deserves the flame it got since you could say even Fallout 3 was better then that and that's saying much.

Cimmerian Nights said:
It doesn't, but it took balls for you to publicly 'fess up to playing this one, not many people do. I keep my copy around, as kind of a reminder to avoid games of it's ilk.
IIRC I played Daikatana at a friend's birthday party. He got it as a gift from another friend... Worst... birthday present... ever! :D

WOW. The game that is. I still can't grasp the idea of how this game got SUCH an enormous fan-base.

It's repetitive, ugly, there's NO story. And you pay to play this piece of CRAP every month.

Downloaded the try-out-thingie-pack and threw it the fuck off my PC after two days.

Every MMORPG I've tried so far sucked monkey-balls by the way.

Some of you either have ridiculously high standards or have not played very many games. Seriously, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Halo, Fable 2? I understand that everyone's taste is unique but worst games ever?

Well the list is probably bigger, but I think I managed avoid the worst. I guess the trash games from EA can be added to that, but rest kind of fall to boring games. Oh I got few M.A.X. 2, Master of Orion 3 and x-Com Interceptor.

maximaz said:
Some of you either have ridiculously high standards or have not played very many games. Seriously, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Halo, Fable 2? I understand that everyone's taste is unique but worst games ever?
Add in the frustration, let down and despise for super-productions and annoyance at over-hype factors.

maximaz said:
For most people, a game's "badness" is not measured on some absolute scale, but rather as the disparity between their expectations (usually influenced by the universal affirmative opinion of the game) and their own experience with it. Halo is by no means a bad shooter, yet it is disliked by PC gamers because Xbox gamers and media alike elevate is as one of the greatest games of all time, even though it is fairly mediocre compared to the best PC shooters. Dragon Age is probably the best RPG in years (and yes, it wipes the floor with the Witcher and NWN2 - anyone who believes otherwise can suck my hairy Croatian balls), yet the crowd at NMA and RPGCodex is biased against it because it is made by BioWare (and very obviously so). Mass Effect is a decently entertaining space opera that gets much hate from the same group of people because it is a console action RPG. Fable 2 is an irredeemable piece of shit (okay, I admit I haven't played in, but I read the story summary and analysis by Shamus Young and it put me in a coma for two months).

Back