What's your GOTY?

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by rcorporon, Jan 3, 2009.

1. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    Just curious what you guys would pick as your own personal Game of the Year.

For me my favourite game released this year is Left 4 Dead, followed very closely by Little Big Planet.

MGS4 was great, although I have only played through it once so far.

Overall though, Left 4 Dead wins out in my eyes.

2. Flop

Flop Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 10, 2004
    I'd pick either Mount & Blade or Armageddon Empires. I realise that none of those were actually released in 2008, but I didn't play them until recently, and they're the best games by far that I played last year.

As for games that were actually released in 2008, I don't really know. A Vampyre Story maybe, although I wouldn't exactly call it great. I didn't play any of the ones you mention.

3. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    IV.

4. gotthammer

gotthammer First time out of the vault

Dec 27, 2008
    Hmm....Mount and Blade? Maybe (haven't been playing it much coz' the mods I want aren't updated yet).

How about The Witcher Enhanced? (honestly? I haven't played the enhanced version yet...but if it enhances an already great game, ya can't go wrong, right? :shock: )

Taking into account the amount of mods that will make the game 'better', I'm kinda tempted to say Fallout 3.

Honestly, I'm not really so sure. *shrugs*
    If someone asks: Hearts of Iron 2: Armageddon (or HoI 2 in general...I just install HoI2:A coz' it's the latest version in the anthology installer. It's also great that it doesn't seem to have any form of DRM/copy protection at all and is very forgiving as far as where you can install it :mrgreen: )

I have a 'most disappointing' game of the year, tho':
    Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
    (reason: 'typical MMO' dressed up to look like Warhammer, and even fails in that by butchering the lore and atmosphere, IMHO)

5. Paul_cz

Paul_cz Mildly Dipped

Jun 11, 2008
    GOTY 2007 - The Witcher
    GOTY 2008 - Fallout 3

6. marko2te

marko2te Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Sep 24, 2008
    Kings Bounty Legend

7. Serge 13

Serge 13 Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    Haven't played GTA IV yet so i can't decide.
    But i had a lot of fun playing Fallout 3.

8. Apocalypse.

Apocalypse. First time out of the vault

Aug 25, 2008
    Another vote for King`s Bounty: The Legend.

9. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    Braid

It's the only game I played last year. A work of genius, if you ask me. I paid daily visits to a friend to play it 'cause I don't have an Xbox360 myself.

10. MrBumble

MrBumble Vault Fossil

Jan 17, 2006
    I'd like to say GTA IV but it runs like crap on my computer...however I know the game and how good it is since I also have it on the 360.

Therefore, GOTY for me is Dead Space...by far.

11. Danilh

Danilh It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 21, 2008
    The In Nomine expansion for Europa Universalis 3, but very close to Left 4 Dead

12. slamelov

slamelov Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 29, 2006
    DCS Black Shark, Iracing and King's Bounty

13. SimpleMinded

SimpleMinded Vault Fossil

Jun 17, 2003
    I actually don't think I've played a single game that's come out this year. (This year being in reference to 2008)

So I can't vote :(

14. Ravager69

Ravager69 Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 21, 2007
    All this year's game are shit. And Witcher EE is just a big mod, so it can't be *game* of the year.

15. Unkillable Cat

Unkillable Cat Mildly Dipped

Jan 5, 2004
    The number of "this year" games I've played is also very short.

I'd say The Witcher EE, because Portal hogged the spotlight (rightfully so) back in 2007.

16. janjetina

janjetina First time out of the vault

May 31, 2007
    No game developed this year is worth a GOTY title. Neverwinter nights 2: Storm of Zehir was the best game in this year's sea of mediocrity, it was a very good game, but not even close to top RPG titles.

17. Black

Black Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 21, 2007
    If Witcher EE if it counts.
    If not, SoZ.
    If expansion don't count then fuck, I guess I don't have GOTY. Maybe Left 4 Dead?

18. Rev. Layle

Rev. Layle A Smooth-Skin

Jul 26, 2005
    ZUMA

(um, it's the game I have literally played the most this year... actually... ever)

19. BloodyPuppy

BloodyPuppy Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Nov 18, 2008
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2

20. Multidirectional

Multidirectional Mildly Dipped

Sep 12, 2008
    If The Witcher EE would count, I would surely pick that one.. But now, I can't really pick a single favorite.
    So.. World Of Goo, Dead Space and GTA IV.