What's your opinion on Tactics?

LuckyShot7777

First time out of the vault
IMO Tactics adds a lot of neat new concepts to the table such as: the various BoS armor sets, sweet new weapons, an interesting main antagonist (the Calculator), and obviously a great faction. But the gameplay just leaves me with a meh feeling whenever I try to get into it. TBH I quite suck at it actually do to the whole real time squad based type of game it is :| I just can't get absorbed into it like I do with the other classic Fallouts. But with my opinion aside I'd be more than happy to hear yours' :D

tactics

In general i think its a good game because the good aspects outnumber the bad ones, specially if we consider the game release was anticipated due interplay financial needs. Most of its features were at beta stage when micro forte was forced to finish it. However no matter how much i like tactics (and its a lot) i am also a member of the fallout "old school" and because of that i simply can't look the other way on some of the lore mistakes they made. Ex:

Portraiting the original bos as vault dwellers - we all know they actually were originated from USA military.

Creating talking deathclaws - those existed only after the enclave experiments in F2.

Beastlords - while plausible since the master did experimentation with psions and fev it feels to me the beastlords would be much more cannon if they were able to control mutated animals through taming and not by the power of their minds.

Tactics developers should have taken into account the RP and background quality of the fallout universe, even if they were making a strategic game.

On the bright side I really liked:

The calculator as antagonist - with all previous media references about robots turning against humans i thought it would be really hard to make an interesting campaign plot using this same feature. I was pleased to see the calculator not only paid his honor to its predecessors A.Is (skynet ...) but also created an atmosphere fully integrated with fallout lore.

The new Brotherhood of Steel - without considering the origin issue, its a great faction. one of the best models of BoS in all fallout series. Its traits are deep and complex enough to deny standardization. They are quite often in the gray boarders between being a force of Order or a Despotic Regime, most often being one or the other in different occasions.

I love Tactics, but I would really have loved to see it a bit more fleshed out.

Things I missed were in particular: More missions!
And non-related towns, for example, towns you could examine just for the sake of minor looting, pickpocketing, random dialogues, some trading, and maybe a mission or two could be "locked" untill you have roleplayed around some towns to gather clues.
Of course, just dreaming here :D It's just that Tactics always felt a bit incomplete, like an idea, rather than a real finished game.

I think it's okay. It's not bad, just alright. I prefer 1, 2, 3 and New Vegas, although not in that order. And I haven't played BOS (I kind of want to, despite it being so bad) but I'm fairly confident I would like Tactics more. It's a tactical squad based game, and it really does show that it is that as opposed to an RPG. But as said, I don't think the game is bad. I think if you like Fallout then it is worth playing and trying out anyway.

I haven't played tactics because of what I heard. Could it be modded at all into a worthy spinoff?

Akratus said:
I haven't played tactics because of what I heard. Could it be modded at all into a worthy spinoff?

It is a worthy spinoff. It's exactly that, a spinoff, that is worthy, in all the senses of it.
Worthy, because it keeps all the "vibes" (with the exception of some tech details, like gun designs etc), the visual design is, imho, exactly what I dreamed FO3 would look like, and spinoff, because it is. It takes the theme and the background, and makes something related but not the same.

You could probably look for mods that correct the weapons, and such lore-details, but I really never saw the big deal. AK-47, yay.

Imho, anyway.

It's an ok game, though it both fails as a JA2 clone or interesting turnbased game and as Fallout title since it doesn't capture the spirit.

Also overkill of silly new real life or retarded guns was too much for me.

Akratus said:

Even though the MidWestern BoS are kind of scattered and little in numbers now. Maybe there could be a Fallout game in Wisconsin with regrouping members or something like that. I don't know why, but I think Wisconsin would make a great location for a Fallout game. It's right between a farming state (Minnesota) and an industrial state (Michigan at the time lol) so many influences from both can be brought as a mix into it, and it's also right above the setting of Tactics :D Plus you gotta love DAT CHEESE :dance:

Surf Solar said:
It's an ok game, though it both fails as a JA2 clone or interesting turnbased game and as Fallout title since it doesn't capture the spirit.

You've probably been asked this a ton...but what's your avy and sig from? Super modded Fallout?

BarackSays said:
Surf Solar said:

You've probably been asked this a ton...but what's your avy and sig from? Super modded Fallout?

It's from ''What Remains'' a mod project that's pretty much a game of it's own.

Surf Solar said:

Yea I really tried to get absorbed into it like I stated before, but it just doesn't give me that good old' retro feeling that the others do so well. Plus since I suck at squad management (that being controlling them all at once) I get my ass handed to me on the first map :facepalm: I'd just rather have an A.I. control my companions instead of myself :|

I can't push myself to finish itself. Really, Peoria was such a shitwalk, it difficult to push myself to play past that. It's the same thing OVER and over, General Barnakey yells at you, sends you to kill these guys here, rinse, repeat.

The first couple missions were incredible! But past that it's hard to enjoy.

I'm just guessing since I haven't played FOT.

Fallout 1 and 2 isn't famous for it's rule or combat.
actually, rule is not that good as PnP game and combat isn't good as tactics game. but what makes Fallout a masterpiece is quests.
but abandon quests and focusing on combat and rule isn't good idea.
but it's not only a bad thing since Fallout itself was more fitable for party based system and enhancing combat is good idea.

overall, it's not strange to fail but good try to make Fallout better.

Wumbology said:
I can't push myself to finish itself. Really, Peoria was such a shitwalk, it difficult to push myself to play past that. It's the same thing OVER and over, General Barnakey yells at you, sends you to kill these guys here, rinse, repeat.

The first couple missions were incredible! But past that it's hard to enjoy.

Yea but having Ronald Lee Ermey give you mission briefings is like being in Full Metal Jacket :) Which really does help shine the military theme of the game :wink:

I agree with those who say it's a OK game. I enjoyed the squad-based game play that opened up more strategic options when dealing with combat.

My biggest issue was the story. Didn't care for it as it didn't quite feel like Fallout to me.

Quarto said:
I agree with those who say it's a OK game. I enjoyed the squad-based game play that opened up more strategic options when dealing with combat.

My biggest issue was the story. Didn't care for it as it didn't quite feel like Fallout to me.

The story is Fallout enough for me to say the least, but the gameplay I'm just plain terrible at. Never really was the squad management type of guy who has to control/manage everyone. The turn based option would of probably made it more organized and a better experience for me, but it takes forever due to the number of npcs on the map.

LuckyShot7777 said:
Quarto said:

The story is Fallout enough for me to say the least, but the gameplay I'm just plain terrible at. Never really was the squad management type of guy who has to control/manage everyone. The turn based option would of probably made it more organized and a better experience for me, but it takes forever due to the number of npcs on the map.

I always play it turn based. I agree that sometimes it takes a while for a turn to complete, but not that much. A few slow ticking seconds, that's all. Besides, the more you clear out a map, the lesser enemy npcs, the quicker the turns will be ;]

I was really addicted to FOT when it came out. I had no idea it even existed until I saw the demo in stores and I shit my pants there was a new Fallout game. I bought it immediately, I think it came out a week after I saw the demo or something. There was a very active multiplayer community in the beginning and I remember those days fondly. The 1k-2k turn based games were a ton of fun and allowed for a lot of creativity into your builds, especially when restricted to rulesets. I know that sounds kinda silly, but when you are limited to certain weapon types it kinda lets you shape personalities into your characters. I have tried getting back into it as an adult but the appeal is mostly gone now, sadly. A big part of the appeal was that it was a Fallout game and I had been dying for a new one.

The single player experience was pretty forgettable. I remember it requiring a lot of save scumming, so it's fairly difficult if you try to not save much. Story was pretty uninteresting and there wasn't much to do for roleplaying.

Back