Which mods/patches for Fallout 1&2?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
MIB88 said:
That shouldn't matter, though, because anything in the data folder will overwrite anything in the master.dat... as long as your .cfg file is pointed to the right area for your Data folder.

So, check this: What is the second file in your scripts.lst file called? Change test0.msg to that name. It should work.

I think that "master.dat" is the matter. Because MrFixit trying to read from one of the *.msg files but will not find because the "master.dat" is german. It is high probably that German "master.dat" has structure like this: Text/German/Dialog (Game) but needs Text/English/Dialog (Game)

So unpacking all directory \Text\ or better only those files which are needed for fixit and rename German to English.

However: how the game with non-german "fallout2.exe" works (Lexx wrote that all was OK before installing MrFixit)... ???

Change test0.msg to that name. It should work.
err... maybe test0.int ??

Cubik2k said:
I think that "master.dat" is the matter. Because MrFixit trying to read from one of the *.msg files but will not find because the "master.dat" is german. It is high probably that German "master.dat" has structure like this: Text/German/Dialog (Game) but needs Text/English/Dialog (Game)

I don't think that's relevant. Anything in the data folder will work before anything in the master.dat. Just like anything in a patch000.dat will work before anything in the data folder.

Change test0.msg to that name. It should work.
err... maybe test0.int ??

I don't have the German version of Fallout 2. And I have no way to tell what the name of the second file is. However, I was guessing that it had a different name, for the different release, because it cannot find the text file. So, if the second file is abcdefg.int, but there is no abcdefg.msg, then that would explain all the 'error' dialog choices he got.

I doubt the structure matters. It will read from whatever language folder the game is using. There is nothing in the new obj_dude.int that tells the game to only read from an English folder.

I get the error messages because the german version can not find in english folder. ;)

The MrFixit archiv has only one script file and this is obj_dude.int.

Lexx said:
I get the error messages because the german version can not find in english folder. ;)

The MrFixit archiv has only one script file and this is obj_dude.int.

No, you are getting the error because the game can't find that one text file. There is supposed to be a new test0.msg as part of Mr. Fixit. If you say the game worked right on your English version, then go to your dialog folder and just copy test0.msg over to your German version dialog folder.

No, as I already wrote, this does not work. Then the game crashs if I open Mr. Fixit.

Lexx said:
As standard, the test0.msg is in /data/text/english/dialog. If I change "english" to "german", the game will crash when using Mr. Fixit. If I let english there and copy&paste the file in the german folder, it also crashs.

You did say that. Sorry, I missed that.
Well, if there is already a text0.msg file in your German folder, can you just open it, then cut and paste the info from the Mr. Fixit version of test0.msg? Maybe there is something wrong with that file...?

The file looks ok for me. I can not see any errors or typing misstakes.

I tested something other right now. I extracted all text files from the master.dat into my fallout 2 folder, renamed the german folder to english, opened the fallout.cfg and changed the language from german to english. - If I start the game, everything is ok, if I want to open Mr. Fixit the game crashs. So the error must become because of something else.

/Edit: But there is something very strange. In Mr. Fixit version 1.1 the source is in the archive. There are 4 ssl files and one h file.

- atoi2.ssl
- COMMAND.H
- custstr2.ssl
- OBJ_DUDE.SSL
- test0.ssl

But in the archive there is onyl one compiled script and this is obj_dude.int.

This whole thing is still weird. And don't worry about those other source files. I remember them, and they aren't necessary for running the mod (at least not the English version).

Lexx said:
The file looks ok for me. I can not see any errors or typing misstakes.

I tested something other right now. I extracted all text files from the master.dat into my fallout 2 folder, renamed the german folder to english, opened the fallout.cfg and changed the language from german to english. - If I start the game, everything is ok, if I want to open Mr. Fixit the game crashs. So the error must become because of something else.

/Edit: But there is something very strange. In Mr. Fixit version 1.1 the source is in the archive. There are 4 ssl files and one h file.

- atoi2.ssl
- COMMAND.H
- custstr2.ssl
- OBJ_DUDE.SSL
- test0.ssl

But in the archive there is onyl one compiled script and this is obj_dude.int.

If you read those files you can see that all files are included in OBJ_DUDE.SSL

Edit:

This is a part of scripts.lst from Polish version with installed RPv1.2
I installed MrFixit to this and all works fine.

Lexx look at this first part of the "scripts.lst" and compare to your German "scripts.lst"
Code:
obj_dude.int    ; Player script.                                # local_vars=7
Test0.int       ; Used to Test Scripts                          # local_vars=8
Test1.int       ; Used to Test Scripts                          # local_vars=8
Test2.int       ; Used to Test Scripts                          # local_vars=8
Test3.int       ; Used to Test Scripts                          # local_vars=8
Test4.int       ; Used to Test Scripts                          # local_vars=8
Test5.int       ; Used to Test Scripts                          # local_vars=8
ACWarior.int    ; Generic Warrior in Arroyo                     # local_vars=10
ACVillgr.int    ; Generic Villager of Arroyo                    # local_vars=10
ACMynoc.int     ; Mynoc, Bridge Guard of Arroyo                 # local_vars=10
AHElder.int     ; Elder of Arroyo                               # local_vars=12
... etc

Yeah well I'm about to start with Fallout 1 again, never finished it.

There is so much stuff regarding F2 and very little regarding F1.

I got the "Fallout Update Mod v1.2.5 english version" and that's the only one who I think is worth checking out.

So should I skip F1 and start with F2 or is it still worth it to play a rather unmodded version of F1?
And when yes, did I miss a great mod for F1?

Fallout & Fallout 2 Unofficial Patch Question

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and I tried searching for the answer to my question prior to posting with no luck so I figured I'd ask it here...

I'm new to Fallout in general and finally got my hands on it (so far I love it) and I was wondering: other then the official patches for Fallout and Fallout 2 should I get anything else like the unofficial patches for my first playthrough? I have the Fallout TeamX Patch 1.3.3 installed currently -- is there any others I should have/or should I even keep this patch installed for my first time through?

Thanks in advanced for the replies!

For the first time? Yeah, I'd go with TeamX patch for Fallout 1 and killap's for Fallout 2.

For your second playthrough, consider the added content of the TeamX Update Mod and killap's Restoration Project.

in download derectory are so many fallout 1 inofficial patches, what patch i have to install better? what's the "best" patch?

and the same thing to fallout 2, whats the best patch
or what patch you have installed?

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

(i post the same because my thread was moved and i found the right thread)

What do you recommend?

I felt the urge to install fallout 2 again - with mods, of course. Which do you recommend? I know there is a mod that adds the primitive tribe and other locations, that's what I'd pretty much want to see: as much bonus content as possible :P Of course I want the mods to work with each other - and to be finished, or at least working.

Since I'm always playing in a 8 person party or so, is there a recent mod that gets rid of a party limit and works with Killap's megamod, or should I do it manually again?

And, was the NPCs not getting level6 problem fixed, or should I replace level5 protos with level6 ones again? :/

Graphics mods are welcome too, if finished ;)

Cheers!

3 different games, fallout 2, fallout 2: RP and fallout: MM

which is best for a new player do you think?

i am playing RP at the moment because i figured since its called a patch it will be closer to the original game just bugfixes mostly?

is kinda confusing actually because its not called Restoration Project when you download it, only on these forums - its just called the Unofficial Patch on the download page and when you install it

before i had both of the patches installed, I didnt know they arent meant to work together
the first time, before i reinstalled the game to put only RP only, when i first entered the village i got a talking head of the woman from the film at the start saying you need to find the GECK and I was able to talk to her, but now she is gone from the village is this right? or am i just looking in the wrong place? i am confused if the voices and head and NPC were added for one of the mods or they have been removed by the patch for some reason??

The Restoration Project is not only a patch. It is more a addon and adds lots of new stuff to the game, that was scrapped before release.
The inofficial patch is, what it is named: the inofficial patch. It fixes lots of bugs and so on.

I don't know, what you mean with "Fallout: MM".

Back