Which operating system do you use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Pinkolik, May 29, 2015.

Which operating system do you use?

1. Windows 95

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Windows 98

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Windows XP

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Windows 7

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  5. Windows 8

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  6. Post your variant

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. Pinkolik

Pinkolik First time out of the vault

May 18, 2015
    I use Windows 7

2. AlphaPromethean

AlphaPromethean Atomic Wrangler

Mar 16, 2013
    Windows 7 for me.

If Linux had as much compatibility as Win7, I'd switch in a heartbeat. As it stands right now, only my Laptop has Linux on it.

3. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Staff Member Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    Windows 7 as well.

4. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Half-way Through My Half-life

Nov 26, 2007
    Where is Win2k? [Best OS that MS ever produced.]

If not for FO3 I'd be using Win2k. For that monstrosity, I updated to WinXP [basically going from version NT5.1, to NT5.2 and some bloat]. Only as of this year did I finally get to see just how bad Windows has become, when I updated to [and actually started using] Win 7 for anything productive; it was because the Blender dev team abandoned Windows XP. :evil:

*Win 7 is a pain in the ass; win8+ doesn't count as an OS IMO.

It took me a while, but I finally started to get it trained by using Classic shell, and some other 3rd party corrective measures. If I could find a Linux or BSD distro that could actually replace Windows, I'd make the switch in a heartbeat... but I don't think any exist that could make good on that claim.

*Where are Linux and BSD on that list?

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Alpharius oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    Win7 on my computer - I fucking hate that OS. I used XP mostly which was way better, and 95 before that. Nothing else from MS, but XP was the best thing of their I tried (I never used 2k, but I'll take Gizmo's word for it). Only reason I use Win7 is compatibility with games and shit...and I got used to it, to be honest.
    However, I rarely use my computer these days since it's back home - different town, different place. I use my laptop a lot, which is Ubuntu 14.04 and it's a sweetheart. Switching from Win7 to Ubuntu on this machine was a blessing.

6. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    XP for my games, mostly. I also have LinuxMint 17 on my laptop and a nice old cheese grater case MacPro with 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

I've been considering upgrading all my OS's for some time now, but I haven't bothered to pull the trigger yet. At some point I'll have to in order to do something I want to do, and that will be the catalyst.

7. Mr. Grandma

Mr. Grandma C3H5N3O9 + NaOH Orderite

Nov 3, 2007
    I voted Windows 95.

Because I'm that guy.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  8. rowanherb10

rowanherb10 The Eye Destroyer

Nov 29, 2014
    I went from XP to Windows 7 because of the incompatibility with my GPU.

9. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Win7 x64 for both my home & office desktops. Have an old IBM x336 with Win2000 Server and an IBM x3550 M2 with Win2003 R2 for testing compatibility. (They both run FO2 RP surprisingly smooth, except in DX9 mode.)
    Also have Win2000 Pro and Win2000 Adv. Server in VM for testing purpose. Adv. Server is installed with Extended Kernel, which makes Win2000 be able to run lots of XP or newer systems only programs.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  10. TorontoReign

TorontoReign No Fun Allowed Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Windows 7. I prefer it rather than Windows 8.

11. fred2

fred2 Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 2, 2013
    I used to be a sys admin (started with NT4) and at the time of WIN7 lunch I hated it, i found it excruciatingly uncomfortable. However, time proved that most of the things that held me back were habits, I got over them and currently Win7 is the only sys I am running on my home computers. In my experience WIN7 preforms better even on older PC\laptops.. (as you can use diskonkey to extend memory)

I suppose that eventually Win8 SP2 might prove to follow in the same lane, but atm i still mainly rely on PCs and WIN8 tablet\phone oriented UI gives a violent gag reflex..

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  12. mef

mef Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Dec 29, 2014
    I use XP and I'm scared of change.

13. Mugen

Mugen First time out of the vault

Mar 15, 2015
    Arch Linux. I'm really comfortable with it now, and I only boot Windows for music production (couldn't get Ableton Live to work with Wine) or gaming (which I rarely do nowadays - yes, I'm waiting for you, Hearts of Iron 4 :().

14. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Alpharius oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    Unrelated to the thread, but Mugen you've got the best sig evah.

15. Pinkolik

Pinkolik First time out of the vault

May 18, 2015
    What else can you do on PC except for gaming? :D

16. gordog_frohman

gordog_frohman namhofr_godrog

Mar 4, 2015
    Has anyone gotten that Windows 10 notification on their desktop asking you to upgrade to the newest version? I'm kind of skeptical, is Windows 10 gonna even be good?

17. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Staff Member Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    Yes, got that, too. But I'm not going to use it unless Windows 10 is really actually good.
    Considering the usual scheme of Windows releases (alternating good and bad), Windows 10 should be good again, but I'm still sceptical.

18. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    It's interesting that Win10 is offered as a free upgrade for now. As far as I've heard, all future versions will also be free once you have Windows 10.

19. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Windows 10 is intended to be, at least for the foreseeable future, the "final" version of Windows. Microsoft intends to switch to putting out smaller and more rapid feature updates so that new stuff gets rolled out more along the lines of smartphone apps and OSes, instead of as major OS revisions you need to purchase separately.

Whether it sticks to this plan, of course, remains to be seen. But as desktop Windows sales among typical end users are not very high (most come from OEM installs on pre-built computers, laptops, etc.), I doubt Microsoft will be losing out on any money this way at the very least.

I've been curious to check out the release candidates for Windows 10 but decided that since I do a lot of work on my system, I need something stable and reliable... so Windows 7 it remains for now.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  20. fred2

fred2 Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 2, 2013
    I am not sure what the plan for Windows 10. But Win7 was also free-ish, at least its beta version was. I know a person who said that instead of upgrading\buying, he kept using it for years after for his casual use laptop and the updates kept coming.

Interesting what it means for us?