• Windows 7

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Windows 8

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Post your variant

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
Windows 7 for me.

If Linux had as much compatibility as Win7, I'd switch in a heartbeat. As it stands right now, only my Laptop has Linux on it.

Where is Win2k? [Best OS that MS ever produced.]

If not for FO3 I'd be using Win2k. For that monstrosity, I updated to WinXP [basically going from version NT5.1, to NT5.2 and some bloat]. Only as of this year did I finally get to see just how bad Windows has become, when I updated to [and actually started using] Win 7 for anything productive; it was because the Blender dev team abandoned Windows XP. :evil:

*Win 7 is a pain in the ass; win8+ doesn't count as an OS IMO.

It took me a while, but I finally started to get it trained by using Classic shell, and some other 3rd party corrective measures. If I could find a Linux or BSD distro that could actually replace Windows, I'd make the switch in a heartbeat... but I don't think any exist that could make good on that claim.

*Where are Linux and BSD on that list?

Last edited:
Win7 on my computer - I fucking hate that OS. I used XP mostly which was way better, and 95 before that. Nothing else from MS, but XP was the best thing of their I tried (I never used 2k, but I'll take Gizmo's word for it). Only reason I use Win7 is compatibility with games and shit...and I got used to it, to be honest.
However, I rarely use my computer these days since it's back home - different town, different place. I use my laptop a lot, which is Ubuntu 14.04 and it's a sweetheart. Switching from Win7 to Ubuntu on this machine was a blessing.

XP for my games, mostly. I also have LinuxMint 17 on my laptop and a nice old cheese grater case MacPro with 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

I've been considering upgrading all my OS's for some time now, but I haven't bothered to pull the trigger yet. At some point I'll have to in order to do something I want to do, and that will be the catalyst.

Win7 x64 for both my home & office desktops. Have an old IBM x336 with Win2000 Server and an IBM x3550 M2 with Win2003 R2 for testing compatibility. (They both run FO2 RP surprisingly smooth, except in DX9 mode.)
Also have Win2000 Pro and Win2000 Adv. Server in VM for testing purpose. Adv. Server is installed with Extended Kernel, which makes Win2000 be able to run lots of XP or newer systems only programs.

Last edited:
Where is Win2k? [Best OS that MS ever produced.]

If not for FO3 I'd be using Win2k. For that monstrosity, I updated to WinXP [basically going from version NT5.1, to NT5.2 and some bloat]. Only as of this year did I finally get to see just how bad Windows has become, when I updated to [and actually started using] Win 7 for anything productive; it was because the Blender dev team abandoned Windows XP. :evil:

*Win 7 is a pain in the ass; win8+ doesn't count as an OS IMO.
I used to be a sys admin (started with NT4) and at the time of WIN7 lunch I hated it, i found it excruciatingly uncomfortable. However, time proved that most of the things that held me back were habits, I got over them and currently Win7 is the only sys I am running on my home computers. In my experience WIN7 preforms better even on older PC\laptops.. (as you can use diskonkey to extend memory)

I suppose that eventually Win8 SP2 might prove to follow in the same lane, but atm i still mainly rely on PCs and WIN8 tablet\phone oriented UI gives a violent gag reflex..

Last edited:
Arch Linux. I'm really comfortable with it now, and I only boot Windows for music production (couldn't get Ableton Live to work with Wine) or gaming (which I rarely do nowadays - yes, I'm waiting for you, Hearts of Iron 4 :().

Arch Linux. I'm really comfortable with it now, and I only boot Windows for music production (couldn't get Ableton Live to work with Wine) or gaming (which I rarely do nowadays - yes, I'm waiting for you, Hearts of Iron 4 :().
What else can you do on PC except for gaming? :D

Has anyone gotten that Windows 10 notification on their desktop asking you to upgrade to the newest version? I'm kind of skeptical, is Windows 10 gonna even be good?

Has anyone gotten that Windows 10 notification on their desktop asking you to upgrade to the newest version? I'm kind of skeptical, is Windows 10 gonna even be good?

Yes, got that, too. But I'm not going to use it unless Windows 10 is really actually good.
Considering the usual scheme of Windows releases (alternating good and bad), Windows 10 should be good again, but I'm still sceptical.

It's interesting that Win10 is offered as a free upgrade for now. As far as I've heard, all future versions will also be free once you have Windows 10.

It's interesting that Win10 is offered as a free upgrade for now. As far as I've heard, all future versions will also be free once you have Windows 10.
I am not sure what the plan for Windows 10. But Win7 was also free-ish, at least its beta version was. I know a person who said that instead of upgrading\buying, he kept using it for years after for his casual use laptop and the updates kept coming.

Windows 10 is intended to be, at least for the foreseeable future, the "final" version of Windows. Microsoft intends to switch to putting out smaller and more rapid feature updates so that new stuff gets rolled out more along the lines of smartphone apps and OSes, instead of as major OS revisions you need to purchase separately.
Interesting what it means for us?

Personally i use Vista sp2 x64 on my main win 7 x64 on secondary and win 8.1 on my x86 tablet and for one i can tell you about win 10- DON'T do anything You might regret in the future..
personaly i have a snake in my pocket and paying for windows is not the thing i like to do bearing in mind it's expensive in relation to average salary in my country. But paying for windows as a service a.k.a. annualy (to pay evry fucking year) is way over the line by microsoft ( I'mean sure You get a 1year free subscription they claim but after that is "show'em the money" annualy) I mean I loved the times of windows 95 and 98 where windows was just a piece of equipment for the pc like CPU mobo or PCI upgrade card, it was good first thing that started to piss me off about microsoft is that they decided to bound OS to one computer meaning You can't uninstall it from one and then later install it somwhere else just like a pci component, then came the era of different versions whre You had to choose how much will you pay for the amount of adressable RAM and other basic functions that are missing from starter or home/basic; home/premium..
and now theese fuckers actually want to turn their os in to a subscription based service so that You'd have to pay evry year just like for an antivirus. It's not bad when You have only one pc in a house but when You have for example a render farm it's going to kill You finacially. As for antivirus i always hit UK ebay for licences because i can get 5 licences in price of a cheapest single license from my country, But I can't just install english win 10 on evry pc because my old folks can't speak/read english so I'd be stuck like a shit to a water closet to a local version of annual subscriptions for win 10 sorry but that's a no-go. For the time beeing I'll stick to what i have and screw win 10.
Regards
GusT

Back