Who else here LIKED Fallout 4?

I think it's kind of annoying Gage's story requires you to get max affinity and has no quest behind it because it's a very sympathetic and understandable set of reasons to be a Raider. I also liked the depiction of the Raiders of Libertalia and their motivations.

Ill grant you that Gage was interesting as was others, like Daisy and Mason. But it's not enough to convince me that this dlc is good. Theres just so little content that isn't radiant. Exposition is neat and all but how about you try to tell your character's story through actual quest content that has had some effort put into it? I dont think thats asking too much.

Ill grant you that Gage was interesting as was others, like Daisy and Mason. But it's not enough to convince me that this dlc is good. Theres just so little content that isn't radiant. Exposition is neat and all but how about you try to tell your character's story through actual quest content that has had some effort put into it? I dont think thats asking too much.

Frankly, I think there's a few sidequests which needed to be included:

* Help the Black family get revenge on their Diamond City family, betray the Blacks to their deaths.
* Find out what made Dixie into the Southern serial killer she is
* Hook up Savoy and Nisha or play it so Savoy kills Nisha
* Find proof that Mason had the previous Pack Alphas murdered so he can be overthrown
* Take Gage back to his family farm and discover that it's maybe the Albernathies with his sister being the wife.

There's a lot of fun build-up which never gets touched on.

Frankly, I think there's a few sidequests which needed to be included:

* Help the Black family get revenge on their Diamond City family, betray the Blacks to their deaths.
* Find out what made Dixie into the Southern serial killer she is
* Hook up Savoy and Nisha or play it so Savoy kills Nisha
* Find proof that Mason had the previous Pack Alphas murdered so he can be overthrown
* Take Gage back to his family farm and discover that it's maybe the Albernathies with his sister being the wife.

There's a lot of fun build-up which never gets touched on.

Doesn't all of this missed opportunity bug you?

Certainly. I wouldn't give a shit if it wasn't good.

If Nuka World was just Point Lookout, i.e. pure eye candy, I wouldn't have written an essay or wished the game to have been expanded into a full blown spin-off.

Because missed opportunity is just as good!

I could talk all day about what I wished Fallout 4 had included.

Nuka World as well.

I genuinely HATE the settlement system too because I feel like it ATE the rest of the game which is missing.

It would be actually worse if it was there! That way you can imagine your own story ;). Bethesda is really good with make-believe :D! Pff role playing! Other games give you what? Writing? Quests? Lulz! With Bethesda, you have your whole ...
189556437001202.jpg

The next Bethesda game might be just an empty box.

I predict Fallout 5 will be a game where you build everything and make your own enemies to fight.

It would be actually worse if it was there! That way you can imagine your own story ;). Bethesda is really good with make-believe :D! Pff role playing! Other games give you what? Writing? Quests? Lulz! With Bethesda, you have your whole ...
189556437001202.jpg

The next Bethesda game might be just an empty box.

You may make that joke but in Skyrim, you can be anybody with your RPG.

In Fallout 3 and 4 you are THIS VERY SPECIFIC PERSON.

Obsidian actually out-Bethesdaed Bethesda by making your Courier someone who could have any reason why they're a postman.

Last edited:
I thought the Power Armor (from a gameplay perspective) was the best in the series with Fallout 4. They did an amazing job of making you feel like a walking tank.

Oddly enough, the thing most people tend to like (settlement building) is what I dislike the least. I'd rather have prebuilt and interesting towns.

Yes, you can be anybody in Skyrim but you end up as nobody. That's the point and why I am mocking their design approach. What does it matter if you kill one or one million Dragons, if no one notices it? Or if you 'pretend' to be a priest, but no one's recognizing you as one? Here is the hint, you can't be anybody in Skyrim. You can be only one type of player in Skyrim. The adventurer. That is cool for those that look only for that kind of experience. But when you want real role playing, Skyrim, or Fallout 3 or Fallout 4 offers you almost none of that.

Obsidian actually out-Bethesdaed Bethesda by making your Courier someone who could have any reason why they're a postman.
Obsidian, gave you motivations. The writing gives you so many options to express your way of thinking. See, in Fallout 4 you have the factions, you decide to play for one, and that's it. In New Vegas, you don't just have the factions, but you have a hell lot of ways in how to approach the quests as you get choices. And on top of it, you also get many situations where you can chose a dialog with the sole reason to explain YOUR motivations to the NPC infront of you, of which some will respond, while others not care. That's role playing. Playing a role, and sticking to it. In Fallout 4 you can be either a saint or an ass, and switch between those too when ever you feel like. But in the end, it doesn't matter to the NPCs, because the dialog always leads you to the same outcome anyway.

You may make that joke but in Skyrim, you can be anybody with your RPG.
Not really, you are always the same. The adventurer who holds many jobs because everyone loves you for some reason.

Even older Bethesda titles like Morrowind allowed for role-playing with enough writing to keep the experience focussed.

At least in New Vegas, the player is free to role-play with optional lines they can choose. Choosing to associate the word "mother" with "regret" and telling ED-E that your journey has been one long trip to get home allows the player to role-play and be able to craft their own experience without going off the rails and losing focus like say the Courier ran away from home due to disagreements with family but regretted their actions and has been attempting to become successful so that they can return home as a successful person rather than the foolish runaway they had been. Or you could simply state that you enjoyed travel (or anything that appears in conversation).

Obsidian may have made an open backstory for the Courier but it allows the player to decide who their Courier is while ensuring that there are not too many story branches left unchecked.

@Crni Vuk explains this far better than I and I hope you actually consider what he is saying and digest it rather than brushing it off at face value (which is a rather disturbing vibe I'm picking up from interacting with you).

Not really, you are always the same. The adventurer who holds many jobs because everyone loves you for some reason.

Even older Bethesda titles like Morrowind allowed for role-playing with enough writing to keep the experience focused.

In Skyrim, you can actually just raise crops and ignore the main quest.

Or mine.

Or make shoe leather.

Completitionists are the people who do everything but on the Bethesda forums, it's common practice to do one character per questline as an RPG tool.

In Skyrim, you can actually just raise crops and ignore the main quest.

Or mine.

Or make shoe leather.

Completitionists are the people who do everything but on the Bethesda forums, it's common practice to do one character per questline as an RPG tool.
But can you roleplay as a farmer/miner that sets up trade routes with towns in order to maximize profits? No, the world won't react at all if you decide to become a farmer/miner, instead, the whole world will patiently wait for you to finish with all that so you can save it from imminent destruction.

Guess who you can roleplay though? A grand wizard thief companion assassin who's also the Thane of every city in Skyrim.

But can you roleplay as a farmer/miner that sets up trade routes with towns in order to maximize profits? No, the world won't react at all if you decide to become a farmer/miner, instead, the whole world will patiently wait for you to finish with all that so you can save it from imminent destruction.

Guess who you can roleplay though? A grand wizard thief companion assassin who's also the Thane of every city in Skyrim.

And yet it's also all optional too. Which is a good thing as you can play the game as you want.

And yet it's also all optional too. Which is a good thing as you can play the game as you want.
Except it's not! In the end, you will always be the Speshul Dragon Killing Badass Who Saves The World. The fact that the world is facing IMMINENT DESTRUCTION AND YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SAVE IT :aiee: yet you have the time to fuck around on a farm for a few months should say something :roll:

Except it's not! In the end, you will always be the Speshul Dragon Killing Badass Who Saves The World. The fact that the world is facing IMMINENT DESTRUCTION AND YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SAVE IT :aiee: yet you have the time to fuck around on a farm for a few months should say something :roll:

If you start the quest which makes you the Dragonborn. One of the things virtually everyone on the Bethesda boards agree about is the fact that it's better to give the player too many options than none at all. Roleplaying is largely a matter of choice in the games and you don't have to become the Dragonborn to play the Thieves Guild, Mage's Guild, or Companions questlines.

"Gamers" tend to play all of the questlines as one character while roleplayers tend to break them up more.

Which is one of the reasons why the handling of Fallout is so perplexing. There should be much much more in the way of replay options but they're married to the idea of pre-established backstory for characters.

"Gamers" tend to play all of the questlines as one character while roleplayers tend to break them up more.
Yes, but there is absolutely nothing stopping you from completing every questline. An actual RPG would have your choices impact on the world around you (i.e. Becoming Harbinger of Companions stops you from becoming an Assassin or a Thief, or becoming Grand Mage results in hostility from Winterhold.) keeping all options open despite you making important choices doesn't make it an RPG, it makes it a sandbox.

Roleplaying is largely a matter of choice in the games
Not exactly, roleplaying is a matter of these choices actually impacting on the world around you

Which is one of the reasons why the handling of Fallout is so perplexing. There should be much much more in the way of replay options but they're married to the idea of pre-established backstory for characters.
Bethesda's handling of Fallout. The originals + NV kept your backstory pretty open.

Yes, but there is absolutely nothing stopping you from completing every questline. An actual RPG would have your choices impact on the world around you (i.e. Becoming Harbinger of Companions stops you from becoming an Assassin or a Thief, or becoming Grand Mage results in hostility from Winterhold.) keeping all options open despite you making important choices doesn't make it an RPG, it makes it a sandbox.

Generally, I think that's a good idea as it maximizes the "do it your way" of the game. I dislike being boxed in.

Back