Why 3 was better than 4

I get the feeling that Doomsday will make a very passive aggressive reply to all these posts making fun of Fallout 3, when he comes back online.
You've triggered me, fuck you you fuckity fucker I'm gonna be really aggressive now.
After 200 years the whole place is still covered in a green filter, there's no central government and, the atmosphere doesn't even near that of Fallout 1 & 2.
Please stop comparing everything to fallout 1 and 2 as if they were somehow the same. They are both totally different kinds of game, and different types of RPG, because 1 and 2 were isometric turn based, and 3 was first/third person. The atmosphere is totally different mainly because of this.

Also, there is still green filter because it was smashed so hard, the entire thing is scorched rock and wasted rubble, that must be hundreds of bombs. Anyway, the physics about the bombs effects don't matter, its more about atmosphere than realism.
there's no central government
of course there isnt. Capitols take a bigger beating than other places, unlike the west coast, because of the symbolism. Of course there are no central governments, DC was immolated and would be immolated if a nuclear war were to happen today. It would take about 50 years for even a vague sense of order to return, and if a central government even tried to take shape, they would be torn down within a week. Its not like the west coast, which got a mild bombardment compared to the beating that DC got. BOS tried to govern a small part of the city, and they found it incredibly hard and had to move on to greener pastures.
What was your favourite grey moral choice? Was it the one where you either nuke a city or choose not to, yeah that was a really hard choice. :roll:
So I am also including DLC in my assessment, and The Pitt was full of grey and dark choices
Oh man, all those dark metro tunnels that were filled with orcs! And who could forget all those broken down buildings that were filled with orcs! And those broken down buildings filled with ghoulified olympic athletes, those were my favourite.
Killing Super Mutants was fun, and there were all different kinds of them to kill, so variety. also, mowing down ghouls is a favourite pastime of mine.
You are also discounting many of the other lethal things out there, allow me to give some examples:
Were you Jesus or Satan in your playthrough?
Of course Jesus. anyway, you are forgetting neutral.
But you imply that there could be another type of karma, but logic dictates there could only be three
the awful karmic system
do you have an alternative. you guys seem to find issues and never solutions
I have a bone to pick with you guys! its that everything in a game needs to be rational and explained
Like Vault tec and hallucinogens, it does not matter whether its logical, its cool and weird and fun to explore.
same with tenpenny tower, and the republic, and megaton. its a game! not a logical thing, a game! you seem to want all fallout to be sterile and boring following rules, who gives a shit about rules its a game!
once again its more about atmosphere than realism
the pointless dungeon crawling, with the metro stations etc
better than the thing they had going on in fallout 1, with the teleport screen and you clicked on an area and went there.
the lack of moral choices you had to make.
go play pitt and come back
the terrible story
so it seems i cannot convince you that the story is a brilliant tale and one of the best stories of modern history, so we'll just have to disagree.

the enclave returned from the east coast after in fallout 2 after the chosen one destroyed the oil rig, so that makes sense. BOS went on a badass crusade across america to the east coast.

You guys need to stop thinking that your opinions are correct. Yours aren't, and mine aren't either, nobodys are, they are just opinions. I say this because you come out with these opinions, which is great, and never justify them, not giving examples about why you think its bad.
ther than that, story sucked, characters sucked, gameplay sucked in a lot of regards, the only thing 4 did better than 3 was really the gunplay.
damn greedy CEOs.
by definition all CEOS are very greedy.

Last edited:
of

But you imply that there could be another type of karma, but logic dictates there could only be three

I have a bone to pick with you guys! its that everything in a game needs to be rational and explained
Like Vault tec and hallucinogens, it does not matter whether its logical, its cool and weird and fun to explore.
same with tenpenny tower, and the republic, and megaton. its a game! not a logical thing, a game! you seem to want all fallout to be sterile and boring following rules, who gives a shit about rules its a game!
better than the thing they had going on in fallout 1, with the teleport screen and you clicked on an area and went there.

so it seems i cannot convince you that the story is a brilliant tale and one of the best stories of modern history, so we'll just have to disagree.

the enclave returned from the east coast after in fallout 2 after the chosen one destroyed the oil rig, so that makes sense. BOS went on a badass crusade across america to the east coast.

You guys need to stop thinking that your opinions are correct. Yours aren't, and mine aren't either, nobodys are, they are just opinions. I say this because you come out with these opinions, which is great, and never justify them, not giving examples about why you think its bad.

You've triggered me, fuck you you fuckity fucker I'm gonna be really aggressive now.
, that the story is a brilliant tale and one of the best stories of modern history, so we'll just have to disagree.

Dude.. The game was fun an all in my ignorance... But christ! This guy ignores all of the lore problems with the main story and its still BULLSHIT enjoy:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27085

Also the majority of those things that want to kill you are either variations or shoehorned nonsensically from a previous title... If you're gonna put so much focus on shootin shot gimme new Shit to shoot! There's like 4 new creatures in fallout 3: trogs(love them cool concept. Mirelurks( also cool as hell) Yao guia( whaddyaknow also cool as hell)! Beth can make cool Shit but they couldn't be bothered to make too much

I went back thru yeah 5 new creatures total

Last edited:
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27085
this guy is doing the same thing you are: trying to find logic where there is none and complaining about video games not being realistic or clinging to old game ideas that went out of date 15 years plus ago and only work when revamped and refreshed (NV)
I agree with him about dad though

Is it really that bad to want a series to maintain quality in all of its aspects? Is it really?

Is it really that bad to want a series to maintain quality in all of its aspects? Is it really?
Of course it depends on your opinion on what quality is. some might think that 1 and 2 were bad quality, some 3.

I just don't think BGS gets Fallout on a fundamental level. It's like a movie remake not realizing what the original was really about, all the elements are there, but it just isn't right. If people like FO3/4, to each their own, but it seems clear with the direction BGS is heading that not only did they realize they don't understand Fallout, but they stopped even giving a shit that they don't.

I just don't think BGS gets Fallout on a fundamental level. It's like a movie remake not realizing what the original was really about, all the elements are there, but it just isn't right. If people like FO3/4, to each their own, but it seems clear with the direction BGS is heading that not only did they realize they don't understand Fallout, but they stopped even giving a shit that they don't.

I felt a little bit of a fallout vibe from 3 at times...can't say the SAME for 4 though...

Holy shit! Are you not interested in discussing realism in a game w/ talking ghouls and mutants?
Jesus dude, it's a science fiction game, it should be able to shoehorn in reasons for us to do cool shit and, chances to learn and further understand the unique world, generally it doesn't do that and when it does it fucks up (see the British immigrant who made a hotel). A Fallout game should make sense, the first 2 did, why should Fallout 3 be judged by different standards?

Last edited:
Like many, my first Fallout was 3. I knew nothing about the originals, and honestly, at the time, I really enjoyed 3. I didn't know any of the lore, or the themes and atmosphere of the originals. Later I played NV, which led me to the originals. I enjoyed these three vastly over FO3. I started getting into the lore, and really thought about the story of 3, and realized how…shitty it was. And how it barely adheres to lore, logic, or common sense. Sorry, getting a bit off-topic here. My point is, if you're not looking at it as a Fallout game, and just kinda handwaive logic in favor of "cool shit", 3 is an…okay game. Not great mind you, but okay. So I can sort of understand where @Doomsdayprepper69 is coming from. I can't agree with it being a great game, but if you ignore the context of it being a Fallout game, it's at least mediocre. But if you look at it as a sequel to FO1 + 2 (which it should have been), it's complete shit. Anyway, guys, let's not get (too) mad at his opinion, it's his and he's entitled to it.

Oh I'm not angry... Just a little confused as to why we need an entire thread to prove that bad is better than horrible
I know. That wasn't really directed at anyone. From what I'm seeing no ones has really gotten mad at him. All I'm saying is that we should avoid really an all-out argument with him. It's just his opinion. Everything's alright (so far :wink: )!

Please stop comparing everything to fallout 1 and 2 as if they were somehow the same. They are both totally different kinds of game, and different types of RPG, because 1 and 2 were isometric turn based, and 3 was first/third person. The atmosphere is totally different mainly because of this.

Also, there is still green filter because it was smashed so hard, the entire thing is scorched rock and wasted rubble, that must be hundreds of bombs. Anyway, the physics about the bombs effects don't matter, its more about atmosphere than realism.

of course there isnt. Capitols take a bigger beating than other places, unlike the west coast, because of the symbolism. Of course there are no central governments, DC was immolated and would be immolated if a nuclear war were to happen today. It would take about 50 years for even a vague sense of order to return, and if a central government even tried to take shape, they would be torn down within a week. Its not like the west coast, which got a mild bombardment compared to the beating that DC got. BOS tried to govern a small part of the city, and they found it incredibly hard and had to move on to greener pastures.

So I am also including DLC in my assessment, and The Pitt was full of grey and dark choices

Killing Super Mutants was fun, and there were all different kinds of them to kill, so variety. also, mowing down ghouls is a favourite pastime of mine.
You are also discounting many of the other lethal things out there, allow me to give some examples:

Who the hell even says triggered? That's such a stupid thing to say.

Holy shit! Are you not interested in discussing realism in a game w/ talking ghouls and mutants?
Jesus dude, it's a science fiction game, it should be able to shoehorn in reasons for us to do cool shit and, chances to learn and further understand the unique world, generally it doesn't do that and when it does it fucks up (see the British immigrant who made a hotel). A Fallout game should make sense, the first 2 did, why should Fallout 3 be judged by different standards?
This thread was made actually to prove whether it was better than fallout 4, not one or two, so lets stay on topic. I guess what its about is figuring it out for yourself. Perhaps he came across on some kind of post apocalypse transatlantic cruise service, or has a teleportation machine etc.
Shitposters be shitpostin
Wow, when someone has a different opinion its "shitpostin".
how it barely adheres to lore, logic, or common sense.
I guess we'll just have to disagree that those are not qualities a game needs, apart from the lore bit, and Fallout 3 does that pretty well
All I'm saying is that we should avoid really an all-out argument with him
yeah lets avoid that
Who the hell even says triggered? That's such a stupid thing to say.
Izak, that is the most passive aggressive statement I have ever heard and don't deny it XD

I guess we'll just have to disagree that those are not qualities a game needs, apart from the lore bit, and Fallout 3 does that pretty well.

I will say sometimes for story... Just fuck it have fun al la saints row 4 but fallout is a different time of game. Sometimes logic can fuck itself too. I'm not asking that we have Spock design these gamrs... All I ask is that Shit makes sense on a basic level... If it doesn't even make sense at a glance then your making fallout wrong. Its supposed to be more than a game its supposed to be a coherent universe with the occasional scientific macguffin to ecplain the crazy... Rather than come up with some new macguffin fallout 3 invented at least 2 new strains of fev and reinvented the geck... I can't accept a stretch that big ... Hell the bos being there is such a huge stretch that literally spans the continent...

Back