Will we ever drive vehicles again?

I liked the automobile from Fallout 2, and Black Isle’s Fallout 3 was going to have five(!) vehicles that somebody could drive. Why hasn’t Bethesda included any usable vehicles yet? Is it too much work to programme one?

I would say the maps aren't up to it. Too much rubble everywhere to drive anything bigger than a motorbike. Fallout New Vegas would be fine, since it's mostly open plains, but I dunno why there isn't one, probably time constrains. There are mods that add this kind of things though.
Fallout 4 doesn't have one because enemies are at every possible corner and you wouldn't drive for a minute without something jumping at you.

A car wouldn't be so bad in itself. The trunk would provide you with a "safe container", and you'd have to refuel the car often, to make it run.
The Mad Max game was a good example of a wastelandy, scavengy game that includes cars, driving both off and on road.

What both Max and GTA got in common though - is that the game is about roads, and the rest of the landscape mostly consists of filler. Fallout games as they are now are too crowded with stuff, and a compromise would have to be met, somehow

The only way it would work as a proper Fallout-game, would be to take it back to FO2 - in a 3D environment, meaning the game map would have to be absolutely mindblowingly humongous - so huge it would take ages to walk anywhere (just like it takes ages to walk across the GTA map)

In the end, it's unrealistic and impractical, but not a bad idea in itself. I would love to cruise the wasteland with a Highwayman

A car wouldn't be so bad in itself. The trunk would provide you with a "safe container", and you'd have to refuel the car often, to make it run.
The Mad Max game was a good example of a wastelandy, scavengy game that includes cars, driving both off and on road.

What both Max and GTA got in common though - is that the game is about roads, and the rest of the landscape mostly consists of filler. Fallout games as they are now are too crowded with stuff, and a compromise would have to be met, somehow

The only way it would work as a proper Fallout-game, would be to take it back to FO2 - in a 3D environment, meaning the game map would have to be absolutely mindblowingly humongous - so huge it would take ages to walk anywhere (just like it takes ages to walk across the GTA map)

In the end, it's unrealistic and impractical, but not a bad idea in itself. I would love to cruise the wasteland with a Highwayman

I like how Daggerfall handled it. The map was realistically sized, you had fast travel available via many means, but if you wanted you could go everywhere on foot in real-time. I think a First Person Fallout game could work like that.
Maybe not have every single location available to fast travel to right off the bat like in Daggerfall, just a few major settlements with the option to acquire maps and map coordinates there, like in Fallout. Maybe even allow worldmap travel like in Fallout with random encounters. And when you can buy or find/fix a car you can really explore the world in real time if you want to. Well, you can do it on foot, but it just takes ages :D
My idea would be to make settlements and fixed locations with a map of roads and stuff in between, and just fill in the rest with procedural generation to save time creating the full map.
The map size shouldn't be too much of a problem, Fuel managed it as well. Of course it would need some trickery with the massive amount of NPCs required to fill the world, but I think with modern technology it should be possible.

/edit: Heh, considering Daggerfall had some pretty rigorous PnP rulesets, why not make a Fallout TC with the XL Engine :D Daggerfallout, anyone?

Last edited:

I like how Daggerfall handled it. The map was realistically sized, you had fast travel available via many means, but if you wanted you could go everywhere on foot in real-time. I think a First Person Fallout game could work like that.
Maybe not have every single location available to fast travel to right off the bat like in Daggerfall, just a few major settlements with the option to acquire maps and map coordinates there, like in Fallout. Maybe even allow worldmap travel like in Fallout with random encounters. And when you can buy or find/fix a car you can really explore the world in real time if you want to. Well, you can do it on foot, but it just takes ages :D
My idea would be to make settlements and fixed locations with a map of roads and stuff in between, and just fill in the rest with procedural generation to save time creating the full map.
The map size shouldn't be too much of a problem, Fuel managed it as well. Of course it would need some trickery with the massive amount of NPCs required to fill the world, but I think with modern technology it should be possible.

/edit: Heh, considering Daggerfall had some pretty rigorous PnP rulesets, why not make a Fallout TC with the XL Engine :D Daggerfallout, anyone?

Oh heck yes! :shock:

I like this idea very much and don't think that it would be impractical. I just imagined a world space like the one seen in GTA San Andreas, where you had filler areas which could be seeded with random encounters and then you had settlements/cities where most of the questing would take place. The map would be huge enough to discourage hoofing it everywhere, but you absolutely could if you wanted to. For those who don't care for that you always have the option of implementing fast travel, maybe with the possibility of random encounters as well. If you wanted to flesh it out more you could also limit accessibility of later locations, by implementing some kind of provision management system (would need food/water/"gas" for travels.
Also this could lead to a revival of caravan missions taking place in the vast wasteland, maybe with scripted encounters or just random encounters of increased difficulty. The settlement building introduced with Fallout 4 would also fit neatly into this, as you wouldn't have to build your settlements over preexisting stuff and could carve out your own little city even state if you wanted to. Not that I'm fond of this kind of stuff but it would fit the bill of selling the game to players interested in that kind of stuff.
Now that I think about it i would like the new Fallout made by Obsidian using a form of tweaked GTA5 Engine if we absolutely must have 3d world spaces.

I'd rather have some kind of third person isometric game with "some vehicle levels" that work similar to Fallout Tactics vehicles... blasting a colony of Super Mutants with your ragtag bunch of misfits inside a slow moving Sherman Tank, driving around shooting up people from fire pods while you have direct control over the main Tank Cannon. While evading Super Mutants shooting missles and dodging other heavy weapon projectiles coming at you.

oh...yes, and traveling. I hate the "open world" Fallout that Bethesda has created. it really limits the story to a small part of the Fallout world.

Last edited:
I also hate the little map as well - Not only we explore crap, but its 200 years and we barely know what's going outside of the Core Region, the Southwest and a small part of the East Coast. FNV sorta bypassed it thanks to hearsay and going elsewhere in DLCs, not to mention people from other lands are sorta a big thing in-game. We still have no idea what's going in, say, the Pacific Northwest, or Texas, and outside of NCR, the Legion, The Pitt (maybe), seems nobody is actually getting much rebuilding done.

I always had an idea for a GTA-like Fallout game, San Andreas had quite RPGlite mechanics.
Imagine GTA San Andreas, but:
1) Reputation mechanics mean that you don't go around like a crazed maniac killing bystanders and stealing their cars. Do that and you will get REKT by armed civilians and one zillion town-guards.
2) Large, GTA-sized cities rather than the little big cities of FO3/FNV/FO4. Exploration is a big focus here.
3) Proper RPG mechanics limit what you can do, so a level 1 char steamrolling a entire town - lolnope.
4) You get to drive vehicles, from animal carriages to cars and maybe even trucks. But you're not the only one with a vehicle - some raider bands and other powerful organizations have their own cars as well.

I'm thinking the combat would be a mix of GTA, Hitman and Deus Ex. RPG mechanics would be as hardcore as FNV, preferably more, with stats affecting everything you do.

Best location would probably be somewhere very vertical, like New Reno or Boneyard, with enough space for one or two extra towns and lots of empty desert and forests where you could explore.

Not on that engine, we wont.

That said if large portions of the map are just wasteland, so that in game time it may take around a few in game days to cross the map, or there two large cities, say Boston and New York or New Vegas and New Canaan we will need a vehicle. The map will be redisgned. Perhaps you cant fast travel anywhere, or the car cant move at like 100mph so that we have to drive around certain places. It could work but in a much larger gameworld.

Back