WIP Wasteland 2 screenshot coming next week

I'm hoping it's a screenshot from Wasteland with some details clumsily altered in MS Paint.

Not a big fan of the video game industry's love of "announcements about announcements". They remind me of the "meetings to set up the next meeting" junk I deal with at work.

Not a big fan of the video game industry's love of "announcements about announcements". They remind me of the "meetings to set up the next meeting" junk I deal with at work.
He just posted something on Twitter. It's not much of an official announcement. :P

Here, let me get into full fanboi mode... *ahem*.

"This will be the best screen shot ever! I can't wait!"

Completely ridiculous of course. But I will admit to being extremely curious.

grayx said:
Aside that little thingy above, I'm curious how colorful actual screenshots will be, having in mind that art published so far is more similar to greenish f3 then to W1 feel, where colors are way more "cheerful".
I guess the choice of colours for Wasteland 1 was more a matter of what could be done. EGA and CGA just don't have that many colour options.
I'm surprised they already have WIP screenshots.
But then again, they don't need to work on an engine and can start right with models and so on.

Hassknecht said:
I guess the choice of colours for Wasteland 1 was more a matter of what could be done. EGA and CGA just don't have that many colour options. ...

No doubt that is one (but not the only one) of the reasons why the game turn out to be like, but you are thinking in terms in causes. I'm commenting about the effect of those causes. It was a colorful game to me (well, it's hard to define iirc 8-bit graphic as "colorful" by today's standard, but once...), maybe indeed, because technology didn't allow full 32-bit palette, but even now, I come upon last-gen. games more "bleak" that some old CGA games. I'll repeat - the game is played in our minds, pc or consoles are just a medium/vessel as a book or pieces on a chess board.

That said, I don't have big hopes about this "news" (to be frank, it's very hard to say some/anything final at this stage of development that we don't already know, but it's important to have some "info flow" going for pr reasons) - I'm just curious because it's indeed (hopefully) the first real screenshot (and I'm sure many of us will meticulously analyze every piece of it).

Crni Vuk said:
You can make a very beautiful game without the latest next generation graphic and 3D engine. Just saying.

You don't even need a 3D engine, in fact... :smug:

I doubt the game will be devoid of colors, although obviously the "nature taking back earth" theme they've shown so far means that there will be significant amounts of green. Of course, it's way too early to talk about the visual direction when we've only seen some tone-setting artwork pieces one of which was a night shot and the other two being in roughly the same setting. I'm sure there will be more diversity in the final title.

EDIT: It seems PR-speak is seeping in my mind, slowly and deviously. I wrote "product" instead of "title".

grayx said:
Ok, it's nice to see some progress, but don't serve us a cookie inxile, this should be the RPG game, not some beth's pos where only thing that's important are hires textures and stuff.
There's a Bethesda game with High resolution textures? And stuff?

Buxbaum666 said:
grayx said:
Ok, it's nice to see some progress, but don't serve us a cookie inxile, this should be the RPG game, not some beth's pos where only thing that's important are hires textures and stuff.
There's a Bethesda game with High resolution textures? And stuff?

Even though I am a Bethesda Hater just like the next guy, they provided additional hi-res textures for their latest game Skyrim in some optional patch in Steam.

Surf Solar said:
Even though I am a Bethesda Hater just like the next guy...

Meh, maybe you can hate what they stands for, but don't give them that much credit to actually hate the company which sole purpose is the profit. Their employees are getting their paychecks "and stuff" because they are selling things...

Hate? Really no. Contempt? yup. A lots of.

hmm hate, well I am probably guilty of hating bethesda.
if love (for the original FO titles) and hate are tied, then yes:
they had to purchase the franchise I love and mutilate it.

Two reasons not to blindly hate Bethesda:

They let Obsidian in on the Fallout franchise, by choice.

They still fully support mods to their games, when a lot of other PC studios quit doing that.

I'm disappointed in the direction they took Fallout, but they do get some things right. Obsidian's New Vegas isn't a bad game at all, and while I would prefer a Fallout in the style of the first two, I still find myself playing a lot of NV.

Back