Would you sacrifice yourself?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by zegh8578, Jan 16, 2013.

1. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    Commendable move from your collegue there, I don't think this is something everybody would do. I think I would be much too aware of the power lines, and just stay clear :I

Off the top of my head, the riskyest move I've done were in self-preservation, and it was to somehow sneak my paper money out of view, during a muggery. In retrospect a stupid risk, but at the time, idunno what I was thinking :D
    I have also snuck away from a muggery while visiting Prague, and some students of my "paralel class" were attempted mugged. Attempted, because they were so amazingly naive, they never realized they were being mugged. The mugger obviously tried to be quick and discrete about it, so not to draw attention, and they simply didn't "get it". In the awkward discussion, I took my moment to casually walk away :] I am SO noble.

But yes, risk is often a thoughtless act. Sacrifice is often very different.

2. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    This depends on the value of what - or who - I'm sacrificing myself for. Do I really have anything I value so much? Maybe in my dreams...

3. Axolotl

Axolotl First time out of the vault

Feb 2, 2013
    Fuck no?

4. Threepwood

Threepwood Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Nov 4, 2010
    I would only sacrifice myself if I beilived in a higher power, otherwise no.

5. zegh8578

Mar 11, 2012
    That seems to be a global trend

6. oxidize

oxidize It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 18, 2012
    I would never sacrifice myself for someone else. How stupid is that?! We only have one life and we must preserve it as much as we can.

7. Threepwood

Threepwood Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Nov 4, 2010
    And I should add that anyone who does belive in an afterlife (via confirmation on a cencus or whatever) should be contractually obliged with the government to sacrifice their lives at the appropriate time for the good of others.

8. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    You just found a way to abolish religion. :lol:

9. Little Robot

Little Robot sup Orderite

Sep 29, 2010
    Sometimes I consider sacrificing myself for nothing at all. I'm on medication now though.

10. mobucks

mobucks jetski Orderite

May 22, 2010
    Post of the month!

11. zegh8578

Mar 11, 2012
    If a single further word is spoken on that partucular subject on here, I will... litter.
    A lot. And destroy the ozone layer.

12. Josan

Josan Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 23, 2003
    Would I sacrifice myself?

For someone I loved, and there's only one person that means that much to me, yes, without question.

For a stranger in a dangerous situation, like trying to rescue a child being swept out to sea, I like to think I would but having never been in the situation... could I? Would I "freeze"? Can't say.

For someone I despise, like Canada's Prime Minister, nope. If he was hanging from the edge of a cliff I'd tell him karma's a bitch.

13. Silencer

Silencer Night Watchman Staff Member Admin

Nov 7, 2003
    Only in order to be eaten first.

14. Yamu

Yamu Le Fromage Vieux oTO Moderator Orderite Board Cop oTO

Jul 26, 2003
    I got in trouble with my girlfriend once over pillow talk-- she asked me how I'd prefer to die if given the choice, and I responded "saving a life or in service of of some truly noble cause." I guess "peacefully in my sleep alongside a very elderly version of you" was the answer the judges were looking for (though in my defense, it didn't really present itself in the context of the conversation).

I've been told I tend to put others before myself to the point where it's a flaw instead of a virtue, but realistically speaking, I know my limits. My first instinct would probably be to charge in on behalf of another and damn the torpedoes, but I'm a weak man with bad reflexes and a stuttering heart. In a situation where I couldn't possibly do any good, like someone getting pulled out in a riptide, I'd probably make the wiser choice not to get two people killed instead of one, and stand there hating myself for it. If the situation were one where I had the potential to do more harm than good (an armed robbery, for instance), I might well spend too much time in hesitation.

15. DammitBoy

DammitBoy Carbon Dated and Proud

Feb 23, 2006
    I'm willing to sacrifice all of you for anything I consider important.

16. Yamu

Jul 26, 2003
    DB, you missed your true calling. I think you would make an excellent politician.

17. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Eh, I dont think so.

he is to honest for that position.

18. Yamu

Jul 26, 2003
    Honest, but inflammatory, and he was purpose-built to enrage liberals. If we ran him north of the Yukon or south of the Mason-Dixon line, he could win by a landslide.

19. zegh8578

Mar 11, 2012
    Yamu, you kindov remind me of my dad :D He is, what one would consider overly selfless.
    Me and my brother will often, jokingly, describe him as the type of person who will burst across the street, leap over cars, shove other people aside, so to be The One to help a mother lift the baby-stroller up onto the bus :D

But, if anything, it is easily the most admirable "fault" a person can have :D

20. DammitBoy

DammitBoy Carbon Dated and Proud

Feb 23, 2006
    Well, all politicians are more than happy to sacrifice any of us or all of us for anything they might momentarily consider important or not important at all.

So, there's that...