Fallout Tactics mod Xkcon's ultimate rip off (0.895)

I tried starting it, but got this message in the photo. But from the second message, the BOS file is there.
This is not a build issue, but related to the registry of the original game*
And the reaction of FT_Improver to this... The mod can be run using URM_W9X (used bos.exe instead of improver)

About error:
*I came across the fact that the GOG version number 2.0.0.8 has crooked registry values. Improver does not work with this version (and hence mods too) and complains about a "broken" registry. Uninstalling Deleting in the usual way and replacing it with another version of the game does not help. You need to clear the registry from mentioning FOT. And only then, install another version and mods. Perhaps there are other versions with the same problem, but GOG (actual), Steam & EGS versions, should work fine.

it worked fine after I changed the install path to
If the game is installed in C:\FOT (or any other way except PF), then the mod is installed in the same directory i.e. C:\FOT. Just checked, it works fine.

Last edited:
This mod really needs a thorough walkthrough. it is so vast.

as for the questions,
1. don't know, not done that part yet.
2. don't think you're supposed to be able to.
3. I took the mein kampf to the american history x crew. the girl had been taken by the gangers opposite. once i rescued her I was able to talk to the members of the crew and give the boy back his book. The gangers have some serious weaponry and are on drugs so watch out.
4. not done it.
5. i think if you talk to her she asks for drugs. she will give you a tour of the fc bar if you give her drugs. i just took her to the recruits master and conscripted her.
6. you can get right to the end of the cloning lab, and create clones there. there is one store room you will never find the key to. the rest is trading the right parts with the right monitors. the electric floor is tricky to get past. it depends which squares you walk on to a large extent. to make clones there you will need dna samples from the pyramid where xckon is.
7. Yes there is the missing part for the satellite relay link which will in theory tell you the location of the pyramid. watch out for deathclaws in the left twin tower.
8. the satellite relay (radio) place, most of the parts but one are there to fix things. The final part is in the forbidden zone.
9. it's there, keep looking. but she won't join you, she friend zones you.
10. don't know. i didn't marry anyone yet

Doors lock up the game. The door on the second story of the JC gun runner. The door on the third floor at the FC Hospital crashes the game. The door at the FC police station behind the sheriff locks up and crashes the game.

Do you know how to edit out the doors through an FOT editor so I can get it there loot things without crashing the game?

as for the questions,
1. don't know, not done that part yet.
2. don't think you're supposed to be able to.
3. I took the mein kampf to the american history x crew. the girl had been taken by the gangers opposite. once i rescued her I was able to talk to the members of the crew and give the boy back his book. The gangers have some serious weaponry and are on drugs so watch out.
4. not done it.
5. i think if you talk to her she asks for drugs. she will give you a tour of the fc bar if you give her drugs. i just took her to the recruits master and conscripted her.
6. you can get right to the end of the cloning lab, and create clones there. there is one store room you will never find the key to. the rest is trading the right parts with the right monitors. the electric floor is tricky to get past. it depends which squares you walk on to a large extent. to make clones there you will need dna samples from the pyramid where xckon is.
7. Yes there is the missing part for the satellite relay link which will in theory tell you the location of the pyramid. watch out for deathclaws in the left twin tower.
8. the satellite relay (radio) place, most of the parts but one are there to fix things. The final part is in the forbidden zone.
9. it's there, keep looking. but she won't join you, she friend zones you.
10. don't know. i didn't marry anyone yet

I agree needs a walkthrough. Well damn, Piper friendzoned me. I'd love to know what the other triggers are. I agree best mod out there. I'm currently stuck on prison island as arnie won't show me how to escape. keeps saying i need to kill wez but I already have.

https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/xkcons-ultimate-rip-off-mod-walkthrough-thread.221765/

Agreed: I started one. Please add. Let's make it complete. All I ask is that you follow the format I have to make it easy to edit.

I agree needs a walkthrough. Well damn, Piper friendzoned me. I'd love to know what the other triggers are. I agree best mod out there. I'm currently stuck on prison island as arnie won't show me how to escape. keeps saying i need to kill wez but I already have.

See, I've never even been to Prison Island. Not sure how you end up there. When I play Neil's questline, it always seems to end for me with Neil getting killed by the police in FC and the rest of the gang (if any survived the FC bank robbery) retiring.
Did you give Piper two different poetry books and the foil, in that order? The only thing I can think of (that I know xkcon used in other recruiting) is reputation. She seems like a do-gooder, so I expect like Torn she will not join you if your reputation is low.

https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads...f-mod-walkthrough-thread.221765/#post-4503991

Please add to my walkthrough thread. I will condense your posts into the one I started. Let's make a good walkthrough. I am currently in FC. I am doing the boxing, took control of the bar but being told the Zainists are killing my profitability, and looking for the killer in FC. Anyone want to help? BTW, how many fights do I need to win before I can stop fighting and get the championship? I'm 38-0 right now.

Strange, when I try to use the installer version of this mod on my GOG version there is no sign that the mod had been installed. Does it only work for the CD version perhaps?

Strange, when I try to use the installer version of this mod on my GOG version there is no sign that the mod had been installed. Does it only work for the CD version perhaps?
Nothing strange.
Install Gog version, install the mod from the same path.
Now you can play both the original and the mod.
*if you are using the mod-version of mod.

Nothing strange.
Install Gog version, install the mod from the same path.
Now you can play both the original and the mod.
*if you are using the mod-version of mod.

So the mod (via installer version) and potentially the Unofficial Patch Plus need to be installed within a separate folder within the Fallout Tactics folder and not overwrite the actual game, right?

Is there any way to check that the mod (via installer) was installed correctly? A few years ago when I installed the mod the main screen in the game had the Xkcons Ultimate Rip Off screen in the title but now I see no change whatsoever when I start the mod via shortcut.

Speaking of which I also noticed that my saves are in the main Fallout Tactics folder and not the Ultimate Rip Off folder despite starting with the Ultimate Rip Off shortcut.

Last edited:
So the mod (via installer version) and potentially the Unofficial Patch Plus need to be installed within a separate folder within the Fallout Tactics folder and not overwrite the actual game, right?
Right. Upatch will be installed in the main game directory\folder, URM and other mods instaled into subfolder, but mod folder is create automatically.
If the installation path is specified incorrectly, the patch\mod will warn you about it.
If, path X:\GOG Games\Fallout tactics. The mod need is installed in the same folder (where the game is located).

Is there any way to check that the mod (via installer) was installed correctly? A few years ago when I installed the mod the main screen in the game had the Xkcons Ultimate Rip Off screen in the title but now I see no change whatsoever when I start the mod via shortcut.
Launch this mod using its shortcut (URM shortcut from desktop or start menu)
It is impossible not to notice the differences. There is a corresponding description and a new picture.

Speaking of which I also noticed that my saves are in the main Fallout Tactics folder and not the Ultimate Rip Off folder despite starting with the Ultimate Rip Off shortcut.
  • - Saves are stored in "..\Fallout Tactics\user\save\". FT
  • - Saves are stored in "..\Fallout Tactics\<mod>\user\save\". Mod

Last edited:
I have a question regarding Pyran modified version 8.5.3 Is there a possibility to bring back Humvee to gold squad at first location? because it was a lifesaver for me and i really enjoyed having it so early. If there is an easy way to edit first map so i can put vehicle here myself ?

I have a question regarding Pyran modified version 8.5.3 Is there a possibility to bring back Humvee to gold squad at first location? because it was a lifesaver for me and i really enjoyed having it so early. If there is an easy way to edit first map so i can put vehicle here myself ?
You can add a car through the editor. For example: Menu - More - level editor - file - campaign - URM - core - mission1 - entity - vehicle - hammer.
May need to unpack ..ft\core\entities_0.bos, specific folder 'vehicles' in ft\core\entities\vehicles. (use 7zip)

@boskibonk

you can use fttools level editor to fix mission00.mis and bring back the hummer. some things in the triggers were changed. the trigger for qualifying for the hummer now points to nothing. it looks for a campaign variable named "ST" when ST is a mission variable. Also, the name of the timer it should look for was deleted - "Shoot".

speech was also changed (notice that cookie the civilian who gives clues on how to get the best squad no longer talks ).

attached is the old mission 0 from 0.895. compare that with the one you have.
also attached is the one I "fixed" (from 0.895.3)

Attachments

Last edited:
@_Pyran_
someone must check it 1st.
Btw, I put "less than 8" for the humvee trigger. it was "exactly 1-5".
I didn't change the gold squad trigger - "exactly 5"

Been trying to fix the store room door in the gun runner's area in jackson city. the entity used on the door is "town metal brk.ent" . I replaced it with a working door "Town Metal.ent" and copied the broken door's chance to pick - 300.

Anyone know what the gun runners' reaction should be if you enter the room? I've never seen the door work - never played any version earlier than 0.895.

For now, I put in the same trigger as Boss Salvino's Room. If you enter it, the gun runners will attack. lol.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi guys, trying this mod, followed the install instructions, but can't start it. Keep getting a "Cannot create Bos process" error. Any advice?

Hi guys, trying this mod, followed the install instructions, but can't start it. Keep getting a "Cannot create Bos process" error. Any advice?
Open improver_URM_\improver.cfg {improver.useCurrentDir} = {0} replace with 1.
Or run the mod w\o Improver via Start - FT directory\mod\URM (w9x).lnk

If it didn't help, see the tips below.
FT:BOS FAQ:
------------------------
The game\patch\mod does not start, an error like: Cannot create BOS process! [1]
Possible reasons:
1. Path to main FT directory obtained from Windows registry points to incorrect directory;
2. Main FT directory does not contain BOS.exe executable file.
  • - Check availability BOS.exe in the folder with the game.
  • - Exactly as in the description: The path specified in the registry does not match the game directory. You may have moved the game to another folder or to another computer (moved the game park without installing it).
  • - Your registry entries are damaged or missing. Re-install the game.
  • - You have a repack or a crooked version of the game in which the data for writing to the registry is missing or corrupted.
------------------------
The game\patch\mod does not start, an error like: Cannot create BOS process! [2] - I have the official\original version!
  • - It was found, that some official versions also suffered from this. For example, GOG version 2.0.0.8. After installation, the correct entries in the registry and in the list of installed programs might not appear. i.e., the system did not see it.
  • - The easiest way is to update the game version or find another distribution option.
  • - But! It happens that even after reinstalling to a new version, the problem remains. Because version 2.0.0.8 (or equivalent) left traces in the registry...
Your actions:
  • Save the savegames and delete the game.
  • -!!- Make a backup copy of the registry and/or a system restore point.
  • Manually or with a trusted optimizer, we fix the registry. It is better, of course, to be precise, only what concerns the game.
    * Not every utility can handle this. In this case, Registry Life was used (separately\as part of Reg Organizer. As an example). Choosing an optimizer and using it is entirely on your conscience! Thoughtless use is fraught!
    * Warning: This procedure should be treated responsibly, do not delete everything in a row, do not mindlessly mark all the items in the menu of your chosen program!
  • * -!!- You must be aware of what you are doing, the author of the guide/recommendation is not responsible for your actions!
The problem is not in the compilation\modification. I think it will be the same with other mods.

omeone must check it 1st.
Btw, I put "less than 8" for the humvee trigger. it was "exactly 1-5".
I didn't change the gold squad trigger - "exactly 5"
I haven't changed any triggers. I only know that in some missions / tasks, you need to act in a strictly defined way.

Last edited:
Back