Fallout Tactics mod Xkcon's ultimate rip off (0.895)

xkcon

Transcending the Multiverse
Modder
xkcon: Ultimate Rip Off Mod (Fallout Tactics)
Author: xkcon
Release: ~2016
Copyright: Bethesda Softworks LLC.
This is an expansion of the original campaign, adds new missions and quests, changes some of the original ones. There is an option to ignore the main quests and explore the world. In fact, it's up to the player to decide what to do. However, it is recommended that you complete missions and advance in order to gain new equipment and weapons.
  • There are quite a few new characters that can join you in the locations.
  • Different fractions, such as: "Zionists" and "Alkida."
  • Enjoy a career as a professional warrior.
  • Search and explore new locations.
  • You can find a date and buy a house.
  • Over 30 new maps to explore!

• Install Fallout Tactics 1.27.
  • Backup "Core" folder
  • Delete these folders: Core\campaign, entities, gui, locale, sound, sprites, tables,tiles
  • Download and unzip URM archives from moddb
0.895.2 (Installer)
  • Install Fallout Tactics 1.27.
  • Install Unofficial Patch Plus (optional).
  • Install this mod.
  • - Launch game from the mod shortcut.
  • !!! The mod is rated 18+. There are scenes of a sexual nature and violence. The author may have overdone it, but he didn't mean to offend anyone (from the author).
  • Added a fix and translation from Alex Rove.
  • Added FT Improver 2.0 by Jarekfall (URM_Improver folder).
  • Added HRP 1.0 by Mash.
  • New image of the main menu and icons.
  • Does not overwrite the original game (Installation to subfolder).
  • An initial squad can have up to 2-4 members.
  • Removed award HMMWV (should not appear at the start) from first mission.
  • Corrected the appearance of Power Armor (The bio-defense suit was displayed).
  • In a number of locations, items have been changed/added/removed.

---------------------------------------------------
xkcon said:
Here is my mod. xkcon's Ultimate Ripoff Mod -- Unofficial expansion for FOT

Get it here
www.xkcon.net

To play it you need to do the following:

First go to your fallout tactics folder, and make a copy of your 'core' folder, and rename it 'myoldcore' (or whatever else you want). Now go to the 'core' folder and delete the files:

'campaign','entities','gui','locale','sound','sprites','tables','tiles',

now unzip my file and copy the mod folders (of the same name that you just deleted) into the 'core' to replace the ones you deleted.

you should be good to go.

Any comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting in this thread some features of the mod and what it is all about might help to attract attention.

The Mod is an open world RPGish redo of the original campaign. That is to say, that it is the original campaign set in a much larger world for the player to explore. In fact, if the player chooses you can ignore the main campaign altogether and go off and explore the new content. However of course, it is advised that you do not go AWOL and DO complete the brotherhood missions so as to advance some plot-lines and to get better equipment and ammos.

-Join different factions such as 'The Zianist' or 'The Alkidas'
-Enjoy a career as a professional fighter
-Explore new and large towns and all within them.
-Get married and buy a home.
-More than 30 new maps to explore.

There is lot's to do and explore. I'm sure there is something for everybody in the Mod.

One last thing, when you start a new game, make sure to 'modify' one of the prefab characters, instead of creating a new character

over a decade in development, I hope at least ten people will try it.

It's a huge world to explore, with so much to see and do. The Mod has a slight rebalancing of (some) weapons making some of them more worthwhile to use. There are many NPCs in the various towns that will join up with you. I'm sure if you play deep enough you will find something that makes you happy.

And for those who aren't into plots/stories, there is a mode just for you too.

but I will let you all find it on your own.

Play the mod in toughguy mode you can save on any map or mission or bunker. You can't save on random or special encounters.

If you find any problems, let me know.

The mod is mostly bug-free (mostly).

Hey guys, I have released the first update for my mod. Just a few minor tweaks and one small bug fixed.

I realized that somehow I accidently released incomplete versions of two maps. The new changes will be mostly unnoticable (mostly), but I recommend upgrading anyway, so that you don't have any sloppy incomplete maps.

You can get the (new) full version 0.891 at my website here:

http://www.xkcon.net/

Also, If you already have version 0.89,and don't want to do a big download again, then you may choose to download the smaller patch that I have provided. All you need to do is go to my website's download page and click the button:

[Files V0.891] - for a much smaller DL. The files patch includes all the new changes but excludes the sprites, tiles, and sound folders which you won't need to reload.

Hello everyone

I did try your mod and I reach Fortress City, but I will abandon playing. For me it's unplayable. What the heck did you have in mind when you triple random encounters ?!!
It was already bad how it was, but in your mod is HELL, literally !!! I got every second game time a random encounter ! That's make traveling on world map impossible
Sorry, like I said I'll stop here.

Regards.

PS: And I didn't succeed boxing, I did everything I need to do, but no fight occur. But maybe is to complicated and I miss something, oh well.
Next time try to make your maps to get your car with you. Nobody likes to carry tons of equipment with them just because your car is rusting outside.

Oh I can understand totally about random encounter... I had to start them again from scratch 2 times in my mod because it is SO unintuitive the way we can mod them. You really have to put very very low total numbers in the map for the encounters to be normal and not annoy people, like less than 20 %. I think I chose to have each square in my mod to have a maximum chance of under 5-10 % because it could be a bit strange to wander the "Wasteland" and always find someone out there each minute to talk to, kill or have you replenish your stuff!

Ok, sorry you didnt like it. The random encounters will always be relative to each person's machine. I can always make an update with less Random encounters... no big deal...

A weak character with low outdoorsman skill should not be running around exploring - Build your characters up a little bit.

There are plenty of outdoorsman books to boost your skill. Get a character with approx 90outdoorsman and perks scout, ranger, and then you can just click 'no' to avoid encounters. also, There are corridors where you can travel and encounter less.

If you don't like random encounters, then I gave an option to switch them off, but you have find it on your own (for now)...
...Hint... maybe explore the first few maps a little more...

You must've did something wrong when fighting... it works fine... READ what your cornerman says and do it and everything will work fine. I've had dozens of playthroughs and it works fine.

remember, you can choose to start your fight Career at either Jackson City or Fortress City. If you start at JC then FC won't let you start until you finish the JC fights (or kill mickey). If you start at FC then you lose out of the JC fights.

When you sign a contract with a fight promoter (in Fortress Ciity), You have to take the contract to the 'register' to make it official. you have to get rid of your squad before you can fight. You have to dump your inventory in the locker-room and go into the ring unarmed. There is a recruit master in FC.

I'm really curious to see what happened ?! post a screenshot and I'll be able to tell you what the problem is...

Honestly man, I think you may have missed something...

Also too... A thorough player would have found the solution (better than any Car) to inventory problems quite early into his adventure...

What I will do is make a version of the Campaign file that has way less random encounters. This way the casual player can have a way easier go of it. but I will include both Campaign files, and allow the player to choose the amount of RE's they want.

I'll try to have a new version out for you guys, in the next few days.

Btw how did you make the mod ? Is there a spefic program you can make stuff in ? Or is it all coding ? I only have experience with modding NV

I didn't say I don't like your mod !!! It's the other way around :)
The problem with random encounters is because I have a fast PC, when you make every square to 100 % it's a big problem, because the game will spawn every second an encounter. It's not nice to wait 5 seconds until the window will pop-up with the option to choose yes or no, and after one second again another encounter and, again 5 seconds to click..., so... is not because you have or not have outdoorsman :)

I don't like much quests which have multiple location involved, after all is a big mod and is very easy to forget things. I did like fallout 2 boxing, nothing complicated there. Talk with the guy in charge and fight, this is the way it's need to be done. Everything else is a complications. You need to make huge amounts of money to buy a vault :) Nice one !

Regards.

PS: I didn't find any BUG yet which is kinda amazing, good work ! I'll keep playing, because I am a modder myself and I know how to cut things up, but I will mention any problem I find because there are a lot of folks which don't know how to Mod.

Btw how did you make the mod ? Is there a spefic program you can make stuff in ? Or is it all coding ? I only have experience with modding NV
I made the mod with the editor (FT Tools) and also used the awesome Trigger combining tool by 'Ryuga'.

The Editor has it's own code/language sorta similar to a primitive 'BASIC' computer language, (it reminds me of old Apple //c BASIC) but it has no 'FOR/NEXT' loops or arrays, so creating a series of events means you have to make (some) new trigger for each time the sequence repeats and it was very tedious work. But it was worth it. It's like a virtual LEGO set where you can make your own world to play in. I enjoyed making it, and I will still add a few new maps in the future.

Ok IAR80, I'm sorry about the RE horrors, but truth be told, I just used the original REs from the original campaign, and only added a few new REs in a few new spots. I purposely added some heavy Deathclaw encounters between some direct routes between some new towns. but there are many corridors where you can travel unmolested.

Also even if I do release a new patch , You will have to start over to see the effects. However, If you want I can PM you and tell you the CHEAT mode to turn off the REs (on condition of course that you keep it to yourself for a while). Or you can try to find the solution yourself (I mentioned a hint above ^^).

I'm glad to see you learned how to fight.

Complicated you say ? Well life is complicated ... and so is virtual life in my reality.

I went for realism in my fight engine and I knew some would not like the '1 fight per visit' policy... Well too bad, Mayweather or MacGregor would never fight 10 fights in 1 day in a simplistic Fallout 2 manor... And do you really think you can be a successful fighter with out going out to level up a bit ?? You're little level 14 fighter might be doing fine at the beginning, but you will soon be relegated to a 'jobber', if you don't build your skills and especially perks. If you play my fight engine deep enough you will find some treats in there and personally, I think my fight engine far surpasses Fallout 2. For christ sake you can even get busted for doping in my mod!!

Well there seems to be at least a few guys playing. So at this time, I will say:

The first person that can find 'The tomb of xkcon' in game, and post a screenshot of thier squad in my tomb will win the contest. I will reward the first tomb robber with thier own personal starting squad in a future release of my Mod. That's right, I will immortalize 3 of your own custom created characters and allow them to be a selectable squad at the start of the game.

Post a screenshot of your squad clearly visible inside my tomb (close to me on my throne) and also post a screenshot of you character screen of your squad.

To be eligible to win the contest, you need to be playing version 0.891 (or higher). I will know if you're cheating.

Good luck, I doubt anyone can desecrate my tomb...

I forget to mention a small issue.
First time I entered in Jackson Vile, Joey the drug dealer was enemy because have de behavior aggressor...
I change that to "default" with editor, otherwise you'll loose all the Salvino quests....
Regards.

Edit: I found another 2 glitches in Quartz or whatever...
If you kill the Ugly and the companions in their chamber before the timer countdown starts... well Felicia or the game want recognize you disarmed the bomb and miss the rescue mission..
The other glitch is: The Sheriff and the secretary of the Mayor recognize you kill Ugly, but not the Mayor !!! He is stuck on the same line: If you have 10K to buy.. bla, bla, bla even if you already pay for releasing Ace....
What puzzles me more is:
No one seems to tell you anything about Patricia been kidnapped, I almost kill her in the battle because I didn't know is there, which is not normal !!!

Later edit:
Well I don't know what to say. All the plot in Quartz City is bugged, because you constructed this quests on presumption someone will not have 10K bucks to bail Ace from the begging ?!
And normally I will not bail him out ! It's a criminal for Christ sake, why in the world someone pay for his release ! Oh well..

Last edited:
Ok IAR80, thanks for feedback...

Really the problem with (Jackson City) Joey going hostile for no reason is the same thing that can happen to the gateguards of Fortress City. It just happens sometimes after a Hostile Random encounter when you enter a map. It's best to move around inside the green city circles on the world map a bit and only then enter the city. I don't know why it happens, and I mention all this in the readme.txt.

Regarding Quartz... Well quartz was really done by 'jimmyjay86', I included it because it was a great inspiration for me. I left it mostly the way the original creator had made it (mostly). I only changed a few things to 'write' it into my storyline. I really liked this map and didn't tamper with it too much. (I also mention this in the readme.txt)

Ok, so you say you killed ugly before the bomb timer starts? How did you kill him ? Why didn't the timer start ?

What did you do to kill him before the timer starts?

I'm not sure what sequence you played Quartz. I've never really had any problems in quartz before and I've played dozens of times.

You say you bailed Ace out first? before you did anything? It should work then... I've never had any problems like that.

Maybe can you tell in what order you did what? then I can follow the problem for a fix.

I think you may have missed the whole part where you give flowers to Ellen and initiate a sequence of events... I think you went directly into Ugly's place ? is this what happened ?

Like I said, you need to change the behavior of those guys from "aggressive" to "default" and you'll never have the problem becoming enemy for no reason.

I don't think is something right here...
When you first enter in a town you primordial rules is to be informed. For that you need to go to sheriff, bartenders and officials. Is unusual to get straight to cemetery, get some flowers and give that to a women which btw will not talk to you in the first place ! And what if you play with a female characters ?! The last thing you'll do is to get flowers to a girl.. strange...
Anyway the timer is bugged. I have a team of snipers with good stealth skill, so is easy to enter in that chamber and fire with sniper rifle, they will go down in no time. So when the timer will start and the Ugly is dead, is nothing you can do to finish the mission. It's happening all the time. The same happen when you have a good guy with throwing skill, Grenades are devastating in chambers, that's why I almost kill Patricia in the first place, I didn't know is there.
The timer is need to start sooner, right in the next second you finish the dialog with Ugly and not after 30 seconds...

Anyway there are other issues which I don't get. There are a couple of raiders in town which are enemy towards you and I didn't find anything related to them. Is a quest for kill them or are only bandits and need to be burned ? The same is with the second thug party in motel ? Quest or not ?

Another issue is again with boxing !!! I let my party "home" and go to Mickey "naked" and he still don't recognize I'm alone. Maybe because I play with a female characters ?
Is this related only to male characters ?

Well man, I didn't write Quartz, But it works fine, you just missed the flowers.

You are right about the timer bug, I checked and it's got a 7sec delay before the timer starts. That's why you get that bug. Solution for now, just wait 7 seconds and let the timer engage before you kill them. I will make a change to the map, and fix it no prob.

What's not to get about a couple of drunked up raiders that want to kill you? Have to expect somebody to make a move on you once in while, it is the wasteland afterall...

as far as boxing goes, if you already fought in Fortress City, then you miss out on Mickey... Too bad for you, mickey would've trained you and helped increase your skills.

It's best to start your fight career in Jackson city. However, the choice is always yours...

Quartz really was/is an awesome map, and I almost always had a memorable experience usually involving a few casualties in my squad.

It's a great map inspired from the original wasteland, and I put my own wasteland inspired map in the mod as well. So there is two 'wasteland 1' inspired maps in there. One from the great 'Jimmyjay86' and one from me.

Thanks to JJ86.

Back