Your dad's death in FO3 was stupid, but would this be any better?

To think I have seen numerous people say the Dad from Fallout 3 was a better character than Benny...

I don't even..

They really nailed Benny's charm. I know they gave him a base CHR of 3 but really if I were to roleplay as him in some sort of extremely wacky headcanon he'd have a CHR of 9 at the least.

You just give people a gruff voice giving generic speeches and their brain will interpret that as "Good characterization". That's why Nolan's Batman movies were so popular.

It really makes me angry how retarded people were about the dad in Fallout 3, or the story in general. And then if you argue them into a corner about how much it sucks they'll just say "Well, I like the action!"

Well... it would have been better because we wouldn't have James' asinine sacrifice scene. But still bad.

And James couldn't have really known anything about Enclave. My impression was that the only people who knew anything about them were the Brotherhood and the guy in Greyditch (or whatever the place with the fire ants is called) who went east to get away from them. Until Autumn came to the purifier, their presence in the wasteland was limited to eyebots, and most people thought they were just playing some pre-recorded message. There were some files on the overseer's computer indicating that they made contact with Vault 101, but I can't remember whether it was before or after James left.

Either way, he had no reason to think they were a threat greater than any other faction (other than Autumn shooting the scientist because Bethesda's writing). And what army did he plan to use to defend Project Purity, since the player only goes to the Brotherhood for help after James is already dead?

At least that would've been interesting and more memorable. The one they went with is so much more cliché.

With a switch to a Drought plot line they could even make the water beggars make more sense, like instead of being fixed NPCs eternally asking for water outside of 2 towns they could've made those random encounters, maybe even have one that turns into a companion? Some that attack the player if they don't give them water, hell have Three Dog actually comment on things like safe routes for the travellers and make his station not just some flimsy "Good fight" propaganda tower but actually a humanitarian effort on his part to report on evolving situation of the drought and shit "Three Dog here fellas, being receiving reports from traders going through the X street that travelers are disappearing" or giving survival messages on how to try and find water. Hell even Moira's stupid book quest would make sense now....
..... but eh... whatever.... Bethesda.

Last edited:
You actually put more effort in this than Beth's writers. Funny how by putting some minor things like that in the game would make the world feel more real and convincing that there really is a drought and a water shortage. Instead, we go through quite a lot of effort to provide clean water nobody needs (except for these two karma dispensers outside towns) and James dedicated his life to nothing. And they won an award for this.

Incredible how easily a few people here came up imediately with a plot that makes a lot more sense than the one in F3 and that just with a few sentences.

I am curious why Bethesda can't ... I mean seriously, don't they have expensive meetings with 20 people or something where they discuss the plot and ideas for hours or weeks even? And no one ever came up with "wait a min! Let us check a physics book on that matter" or "Hey! My cousin Vinny has just made his phd in physics, I will call him!". Or just simply using google ... looking for radiation.

It's unbelievable.

Back