Your Favourite Fallout game?

Your favorite Fallout game

• Total voters
F2 it is. My first love, never got around it. F1 really is better plotwise but you have only few opportunities to meddle with it. Story of F3 sucked so hard I dont want to talk about it, others allready have. NV was OK given the engine. Really looking forward for wasteland 2, it might be good in real meaning of the word.

I own all of the games (apart from Brotherhood of Shit), but haven't gotten around to play two and only played a bit of Tactics. My order:

Fallout
(Fallout 2 once i play it)
Fallout 3
New Vegas
Tactics

Fallout 2: First one I played, I was able to dive into the story which helped to build up the legend of Fallout 1.
I enjoyed how massive the world was and the variety of weapons.
It truly was sandbox. From the start, if I wanted to, I could go down to Redding, sign on as a caravan guard, get some sweet weapons then play the rest of the game one step ahead of most enemies in terms of combat. Allowing me to focus on other things. Or just blast my way through the game. I always get bored with it by the time I get any power armour. It's something I wish was more optional and a little harder to come by.

Fallout 1: Captures the perfect retro 50's feel. Just the right amount of camp yet could still be taken seriously. The best video game final boss ever. The only reason it's not my favourite is because I don't think it had quite as much replay value as 2.

Fallout NV: It's awesome. It's a look into that fallout world I know so well from a completely different perspective.
Some of the best detail in terms of firearms I've ever seen in a game. Flawed, yes. But better than most.
I think 3rd person is the natural progression for Fallout as graphics get better and better. It allows you to see your custom built character up close while the first person view helps in confined spaces and examining things closely like in the later Zelda games, just far more usable in combat.
The fact that you can actually scavenge through garbage and find things laying there in plain sight makes me wish I had a high def TV.
They need to do a bit more work into making the stats mesh better with the real time nature of the game, but overall I can't imagine any better a way of doing things without going back to the Fallout 1/2 style view, which didn't allow me to get down to street level and explore this rich, interesting world.

Fallout 3: For testing the water, taking the initiative and seeing what people wanted more/less of. Provided they learn their lessons. I think NV is widely regarded as better than FO3 to the point that people recommend skipping 3 all together. I will still give FO3 some credit for bringing Fallout into the modern age of gaming.

Fallout Tactics: I usually get bored with it. Particularly once it becomes all about the robots, I really stop caring. I don't really like the BOS that much. I like their existence, but there always seems to be too much focus on them. Getting anything out of them in any of the games should be a lot harder than it is. Then in this one, being part of them from beginning really takes the mystery out of them.
The entire fallout aesthetic is missing from the game.

Fallout 2: While not the first Fallout I played, I was totally impressed with this one. Its engine sported significant improvements over FO1, and the sheer number of weapons, NPCs, locations, etc. combined with the freedom that these gave. Obviously, it's not without its flaws (too many goddamn crash bugs), but Fallout 2 overall really shines.

Fallout NV: It may be a hard sell putting this above FO1, but the whole game was just so impressive. The vast open worlds. The detailed graphics. The multitude of options and choices available. Everything else I'm forgetting. New Vegas is, without a doubt, one of my favorite PC games of the past decade. But it can't stand up to Fallout 2, simply because, except for the graphics, FO2 was just a TINY bit better at all of those things.

Fallout (1): The atmosphere, as mentioned, has no comparison in the later games. Overall, Fallout has a great open world, and really fleshed out the whole setting. Compared with the other games, it's relatively stable, even on modern machines. But it's so... small and cramped. I can hardly believe how tiny the FO1 world is, and how few NPCs/weapons/items there are, in comparison with the other games. But, especially for its time, Fallout had great production values, and that led to a fantastic game.

Fallout Tactics: Many people consider this game to be a badly-made black sheep in the series. In my mind it is better than that. It could be a lot better, but it's not as different from the "core" games as most people think. It's got better graphics than FO1 or FO2, well-drawn-out... well, tactics, and a great strategy/tactics game styling, but it still stays true to the basic style of the games. Skills, traits, perks, etc. work the same way, and the whole game is actually pretty close. But of course it can't stick up to most of the core games. Except one...

Fallout 3: Oh god. I don't understand FO3's apologists. The story was a completely generic "U must kil teh evul guiz", the graphics were the absolute epitome of "real is brown", and the entirety of the (tiny) game world had a very bad tendency to be horribly illogical and boring (somehow the goddamn capital of the country escaped a nuclear war barely-scratched, and working technology and buildings are a dime-a-dozen, and yet, instead of living in all the cushy "ruins" with near-modern technology, we get stuff like Megaton and Point Lookout). But it's still a step up from the bottom of the barrel, the worst "Fallout" ever...

Brotherhood of Steel (aka BoS, aka BS, aka PoS). The less said about this, the better.

Favorite Fallout List

List in order from favorite to least favorite, your favorite fallout games.

(no matter how tempting it may be, please just keep it strictly a list and not an argument about which is best)

Here's mine

1) fallout 1
2) fallout 3
3) fallout new vegas
4) fallout 2
5) fallout tactics
6) fallout BOS (shitty game)

1) Fallout 2
2) Fallout 1
3) Fallout: Tactics
4) Fallout 3

I haven't played the other two, but I'm guessing the order would go:

5) Fallout: New Vegas
6) Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

1) Fallout - great story and atmosphere
1) Fallout 2 - great gameplay, improved mechanics, longer game
Both are tied as nr 1 on my list
3) Fallout NV - I enjoyed it. But main story was "meh". And Caesar Legion was just silly. Still, a decent game.
4) Fallout Tactics - I personally didn't like it. Wasn't Fallouty enough, and there was no roleplay at all, so...
5) Fallout 3 - We must go back in time, Marty, and stop the one who made it!
6) Fallout: BOS - I've never played it.

1 - Fallout 2 : A Post-Nuclear Role Playing game - 100/20
My favorite game, even outside Fallout franchise.
It is very similar with Fo1, on many aspects, but is also unique, amongs the games i played, mainly in how they blended constant satire & references into a setting that make sense and is interesting. It reminds me a lot Candide from Voltaire.
Also, it has more things to do, more places to see, more quests, more npcs to talk to. It improves reputation system and followers, and have incredible dialogs depending of you good and poor stats. (it is awesome to see the dialogs options for characters that have low-brain, low-charisma or poor sexual skills)
You are the chosen one, and yet, the game makes fun of it in every ways.
It also has the best cities in the franchise (New Reno, Broken Hills, Vault City, San Francisco, The Den...)
PS: It is also my first entry in the Fallout universe.

2 - Fallout 1 : A Post-Nuclear Role Playing game - 80/20
One of my favorite games as well. Share many features with Fo2, in a more limited gameworld.
It has a better main plot, a better antagonist faction, and a gritty feeling.
Compared to the master & the unity, many factions and antagonists feel underwhelming.
It also seems very faithfull to dev original intents.

3 - Fallout New Vegas - 18/20
A.K.A the real Fallout 3.
It is awesome that we finally got a satisfying third game, after 10 years and three disapointing entries in the Fallout universe.
It came at a time when a faithfull sequel was unexpected.
It managed to even be better than my expectations for a Fallout sequel.
It improved the C&C, the alternate endings mechanics, the reputation system, the average quality of followers, it brought back some factions forgotten since Fallout 1, if gives the best insight into the Unity, since Fallout 1 & Broken Hills. It also add new cult characters in the franchise.
On the other hands, since Fallout 3 made me sick of generic continuous game world full of generic locations, i tend to feel very hexausted in visiting all these useless places, full of disapointement. I know that in following playthrough, i won't visit them any more, but still...
Also, it lack some of the option (and humor) of Fallout 2, that i greatly miss. I am not sure upcoming games will have them someday, but still, FONV is a faithfull sequel.
At last, i preferred when i could play Fallout in TB with my mouse alone. (Also, i am not sure you could do a satisfying complete pacifist run)

4 - Fallout Tactics : Brotherhood of Steel - 14/20
Underrated Gem.
I was kind of disapointed that the third entry of the series wasn't an RPG, and i still thinks FOT would have benefited from a few more dialogs options.
Also, it have some crippling inconsistencies and some story-arc (Beastlords, Reavers, three way-war between BOS, Calculator's army, Super-mutant/Reavers) needed to be extended, the plots are quite short, but in the end, i think the overall experience was fitting with the Fallout Universe, and is quite faithfull to the original tone. (far more than Fo3)
It improve combat system, include the choices between RT & TB, include the vertical scale, more vehicles, gives some very good insight about the BOS & the militaries, and is one of the best games on the tactical genre.
But still, i can't put it higher than Fallout RPG.

5 - Fallout 3 - 5/20

It brings a continuous gameworld, it has open-world wide open sandbox GTA-like features, the scenery is beatiful, things that not everyone like and are side features to consider for a Fallout game.
Other than that ?
Poor quality of writting, lack of dialogs, lack of actual NPC, inconsistencies within the fallout universe, internal inconsistencies (without even considering it as a Fallout, the game contradict himself), illogical stuff, the lack of C&C, lack of replayability, the quantity over quality, decrease of the grey morality, inability to pick sides, the Bethesda vision about provided more sceneries to see instead of more things to do, the overload of "generic" contents instead of "unique" contents, the lack of cities, factions, the fact that people didn't recovered in 200 years. The Bethesda vision that is the complete opposite of the original dev vision.
For instance, the way the original dev depicted their hate for "chosen one" characters in Fo2, is completly forgotten in Fo3, as you play an actual chosen by destiny character. The grey morality is replaced by good samaritans in white armors agains't mass murderer in black armors... The ghouls & super-mutants were people struggling to be accepted and became monsters to shoot. The list is endless.
In the end, the actual games look more a way to show their hate for the Fallout Universe than an additionnal entries into it.

6 - Fallout: Brotherhood Of Steel - 3/20
I don't think it is more awfull than Fallout 3, but i give credits to Bethesda to have made an ambitious game in their own twisted way, while FoBOS feels like more lazy.

Last edited:
Back