Chris Avellone Interview Mentions Obsidian Split

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by TorontRayne, Nov 6, 2016.

1. TorontRayne

TorontRayne Misanthropic Heretic Admin Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    A recent interview with Chris Avellone has briefly mentioned his reasons for leaving Obsidian. The rest of the interview will be released soon, so it is rather short and he gives a lot of "I don't know" type answers. One thing I found interesting was Obsidian code naming all of their projects after states which somewhat shoots a hole in the Van Buren theories about Project Louisiana.

http://sugarbombed.com/forums/threads/chris-avellone-interview-part-1.21018/

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  2. DerGogan

DerGogan First time out of the vault

Sep 21, 2014
    A lot of "neutral" answers from MCA, mainly to questions with critique regarding Bethesda and their descisions.
    I think, because being a kind of a freelancer and already working with Beth, he don't want to badmouth them.

The answers regarding upper management of Obsidian are interesting (and kinda sad to read)

This interview left me with kind of mixed feelings. Not really satisfying (unlike the recent NMA interview with Chris)

3. Vergil

Vergil ♂DEEP♂DARK♂FANTASIES

Jul 8, 2014
    Well this is even more disheartening information.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  4. 0wing

0wing Mods will fix you up

Mar 23, 2015
    At least he admits it, unlike some others, who writes for "fun".

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  5. R.Graves

R.Graves Functionally Defective

Apr 21, 2016
    Well since fallout is officially dead I guess I'll dump all of my hope into tyrrany and tides of numenara.

• [Like] [Like] x 9
  6. CaptJ

CaptJ The Rival of Roquefort Hall

Jan 19, 2016
    It is really infuriating how beloved Bethesda is despite screwing a lot of people over.

• [Like] [Like] x 10
  7. MercenarySnake

MercenarySnake Kept you waiting huh?

Aug 22, 2015
    I would say everyone, you have them screwing over Human Head and Headfirst which I've heard about.

8. R.Graves

R.Graves Functionally Defective

Apr 21, 2016
    Think we'll ever get another Legacy of Kain? Defiance ended in kind of a cliffhanger.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  9. CT Phipps

CT Phipps Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Sep 17, 2016
    Short version.

"I hate Obsidian and would rather jump into a steel drum tire fire than return."

Then again, no surprise there. Obsidian hasn't been Obsidian for awhile now. Chris has stated he prefers working with Bethesda. Say what you will but apparently, the employees are happy. I also think it's interesting that Obsidian would have liked to have been bought by Bethesda.

10. CerberusGate

CerberusGate I should save my game in a whole new slot

Jun 6, 2016
    I sincerely doubt it. The latest game in that Legacy of Kain universe was that multiplayer-only game, Nosgoth (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosgoth) and it did not last very long.
    Execs may not even want to look at the series which is a shame since Defiance's cliffhanger has not been resolved to this day.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  11. eissa

eissa Gall óGlaigh Lady of War

Jan 7, 2016
    with those metacritic bonuses BS? No way.

i hope obsidian just bought by paradox instead, and its also more good since they helped them get the feet back again with the success of pillars.

12. CerberusGate

CerberusGate I should save my game in a whole new slot

Jun 6, 2016
    If Tyranny becomes successful & future games published by Paradox goes well, that could very well happen.

I think that preference of working with Bethesda mostly comes from being freelance which grants him more freedom to work around than in Obsidian. The quote mentions problems with upper management though I am more curious to know what he thinks of people like J.E. Sawyer.

Plus it would be more prudent for him to avoid criticizing Bethesda as well (since he is technically working with them in a game Bethesda Softworks is publishing - Prey 2).

• [Like] [Like] x 5
  13. CT Phipps

Sep 17, 2016
    Well, the important thing to remember is that companies aren't developers very often. Who was "Obsidian" five to ten years ago may not be Obsidian today.

Especially depending on who signs what paychecks.

14. AlphaSlayerZX

AlphaSlayerZX Scribe Skeletor

Oct 12, 2016
    Well I think we have one certain guy on YouTube that all of us know who may be responsible for why Bethesda is so beloved now...

15. JO'Geran

JO'Geran Fallout 2 Apologist

Oct 25, 2015
    Actually I think it's the other way round.

MrMatty simply goes along with the hype that other people present, he isn't the one who creates it.

• [Like] [Like] x 7
  16. AlphaSlayerZX

AlphaSlayerZX Scribe Skeletor

Oct 12, 2016
    Hmm, fair point. However I do think the reason Bethesda gets it's praise is partially because of him. Like him constantly praising how great Bethesda and their games are which fuels Bethesda fans into praising Bethesda even more. He's pretty much helping fueling the praise and hype.

17. CaptJ

CaptJ The Rival of Roquefort Hall

Jan 19, 2016
    He is only the symptom. I find it funny and depressing that his fans turn on him when he criticized Bethesda for changing the Season Pass price even if he said that it is a still good deal.

The key to being popular is telling people what they want to hear.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  18. Ragemage

Ragemage Wept for Zion

Feb 20, 2016
    It hurts me so much that Avellone basically said he will not go back to Obsidian no matter what, not even to help them freelance-style it seems. He's a vagabond writer now, destined never to return to the place where he learned his craft. We don't even know what caused the split besides "disagreements with higher-ups". He was going to be the head writer for Pete's sake! (not that Pete, it's an expression, calm down)

(since the Youtube time thing doesn't work here, just skip to 1:27 for context)

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  19. CT Phipps

Sep 17, 2016
    Obsidian is a place which is known for amazing writing (in large part because of Avellone but not limited to him), releasing half-completed games, serious financial trouble, and a corporate culture which is constantly sacking developers or having them quit.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  20. MercenarySnake

MercenarySnake Kept you waiting huh?

Aug 22, 2015
    Well so much for another Fallout game.