General Discussion Thread of DOOM

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by TorontRayne, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Nov 26, 2007
    I prefer (and lament the loss of) offline local [electronic] dictionaries. I find myself constantly checking Google for the proper spelling of tricky, or unfamiliar words.

_edited:______
    :clap:
    TMFT.jpg

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  2. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    There really is a deep frustration sometimes, when you need a particular word, because at the end of the day - the meaning of a word can be so precise, that synonyms won't do. Synonyms often come close, but sometimes you don't want "close"

I've taken it upon myself to translate bits and pieces to English, as well as Spanish, for friends/family to read and feedback, and it can be quite painful to do!
    So many subtleties, words that in one language carry a very specific meaning, a feeling that comes with it, sometimes it "falls between" other meanings in other languages. You can even get a sense of a mood - or an attitude - that can be very different in one language to another. I found, for example, that certain parts translated better to Spanish than to English, because of the "attitudes" imbedded in some words and expressions, despite Norwegian and English being closely related

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1