New Vegas a bit rewritten and a bit redesigned

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas Discussion' started by Ediros, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Brivoo

Brivoo Powered by Radiant AI

Jan 20, 2016
    That carries the penalty that combat quickly stops being something players are willing to do and more of a pain in the ass.

Perhaps it should carry diminishing returns instead, but that's only mildly better.

2. CaptJ

CaptJ The Rival of Roquefort Hall

Jan 19, 2016
    There is a reason why these games have a level cap. Games are not meant to be played forever. Try rewarding other methods like stealth and diplomacy or maybe just have the enemies be scared of the player. I heard about a JRPG that changes the Run command to "Let it go" when the level difference is too high to the player's favor. Maybe have enemies actively avoid picking a fight with the player and appear less often as a result.

3. Brivoo

Brivoo Powered by Radiant AI

Jan 20, 2016
    Making combat pointless is not the same as rewarding a player for other behaviour. Of stealth, fighting and diplomacy are all equally viable, then the player is encouraged to make their own choices; however, if the player knows that fighting will net little or no rewards when compared to the other two, they most likely won't go for it. In particular, if a player is trying to roleplay a fighter or an easily angered character, then they'll feel as if they got the short end of the deal.

One should also take into consideration the fact that fighting isn't always a result of one of three choices; sometimes it's one of two, or simply the only way forward. Disregarding how few RPGs actually offer the chance to go the whole game without fighting, changing up what types of paths are available to the player allows them to pick and choose the quests they want to do based on their character; if one option is clearly inferior to the other ones, only the most dedicated ones will go for it.

4. CaptJ

CaptJ The Rival of Roquefort Hall

Jan 19, 2016
    It isn't about making combat pointless; it is about anti-grinding of the same mob type. Also, random fetch quests and bounties are going to be pointless busy work.

5. Black Angel

Black Angel Grand Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus

Mar 21, 2016
    Re: whether combat should reward exp or not

I think Underrail did it right by having two different exp system. But using the classic system (where nearly everything give exp, from lockpicking/hacking to shooting people in the face) does shows the problem of giving exp simply for killing stuff. I guess it's a matter of balancing. What MCA said is right:
    Oh, and also Age of Decadence. Splitting skill points into general, combat, and civil ones is already a step in the right direction. Doesn't address the problem of people hoarding SPs and using them to pass checks but it's another matter.

And frankly, I don't see how radiant quests can be a way that fit MCA's way.

6. NMLevesque

NMLevesque Commie Ghost

Jul 2, 2016
    What can radiant quests do that other content can't? Nothing as far as I know.
    Repeatables, often called jobs, fulfill farming and grinding needs. Although such needs are the consequence of poor game design imo. It's basically just filler. NV is, as has been said is a tight experience. I've never been in a situation, even without DLC where I was strapped for exp. Plenty of content where extra levels won't help beyond making it too easy. After that point, if need be a few runs Dead Wind Cavern and a few other choice locations would do the trick just fine. No need to add a point A to B fetch and cull quest to the mix.