A first look at Magic the Gathering - Fallout. Available March 8, 2024

It's for nu-Fallout so I don't care. Too bad tho. If it was for old Fallout then it'd be different.

I shared similar sentiment, but went looking for the decklists yesterday just to see which faction ended up with Power Armor, only to find some promising names like Aradesh and The Master. Seems that the entire Fallout Franchise is represented, from 1 to 76.

en_890704afa6.png
: )

They consider feral ghouls (and who knows if "normal" ghouls too) zombie mutants... Zombie as in the "real undead" race in MtG... And for some reason, they get +1/+1 counters when "allied" creatures die and cause radiation counters equal to their power when they die... I don't know of any Fallout game where Feral Ghouls are even remotely like in this card.

It's really dumb, even Fallout 4 says this in one of its loading screen messages:
"While they can easily be mistaken for zombies, Feral Ghouls are actually horribly irradiated humans whose brains have rotted away, causing madness."

en_bea4f6da59.png

They consider feral ghouls (and who knows if "normal" ghouls too) zombie mutants... Zombie as in the "real undead" race in MtG... And for some reason, they get +1/+1 counters when "allied" creatures die and cause radiation counters equal to their power when they die... I don't know of any Fallout game where Feral Ghouls are even remotely like in this card.

It's really dumb, even Fallout 4 says this in one of its loading screen messages:

en_bea4f6da59.png

MTG has done these things before in the past with Universes Beyond sets (non-MTG franchises getting MTG cards). It's a sort of concession that has to be made for gameplay purposes as these cards will be played in other formats that won't be only about Fallout.

They did a similar thing with Warhammer decks, where they renamed every "Daemon" into "Demon" because while the former is setting appropriate for Warhammer 40,000, the latter is more appropriate for MTG and can make these cards work with other Demon-Type creatures.

Same goes for Feral Ghoul here I guess. Zombies are one of the major types in MTG, and are really the closest thing that fits, even if it's wrong when we're a bit too pedantic.

Caught me by surprise too. I was pretty sure we'd only get FO3 and FO4 cards, with a splash of other mainline titles and FNV. No Tactics for sure. Glad I'm wrong.

MTG has done these things before in the past with Universes Beyond sets (non-MTG franchises getting MTG cards). It's a sort of concession that has to be made for gameplay purposes as these cards will be played in other formats that won't be only about Fallout.
This.

Also, relying on MTG for lore accuracy really shows how far we've fallen as fans haha. I'm just here for the art on the cards, they're looking cool, even with the Fallout 4 art style I otherwise dislike.

They did a similar thing with Warhammer decks, where they renamed every "Daemon" into "Demon" because while the former is setting appropriate for Warhammer 40,000, the latter is more appropriate for MTG and can make these cards work with other Demon-Type creatures.

Same goes for Feral Ghoul here I guess. Zombies are one of the major types in MTG, and are really the closest thing that fits, even if it's wrong when we're a bit too pedantic.
Yes, but Daemon is usually interchangeable with Demon in English at least. And although 40k Daemons are not Demons as we know them, they are still somewhat related (chaotic/evil beings from another dimension/plane that were/are created by a god, and usually act based on their own impulses/cravings/basic instincts), since MtG does not have Daemon as a creature subtype, I can understand them using Demon in this case (although I still consider that one wrong too).

Ghouls on the other hand do have the proper creature subtype in MtG, they are "Human Mutant" not "Zombie Mutant". That is the whole point of them being "Mutant" is that they look like undead but are still alive and still count as humans. Makes no sense to have an undead mutant zombie that is actually just a living mutant human that just looks like a zombie... Heck, even just having them as one creature subtype of "Mutant" would be better than using the actual "Zombie" subtype on them.

Especially since I just found out that every Ghoul character in the set is considered a Zombie, even characters like Raul, Jason Bright and Hancock for example.

It also just feels wrong to use any other "zombie" related card from MtG on Fallout Ghoul cards because they are usually related to actual dead creatures that were raised from the dead.

Fallout game after Fallout game always has ghouls stating that they are not undead zombies, that they are just unfortunate humans who got horribly mutated and usually get discriminated against and bullied about looking like zombies... I don't know it just seems very lazy and ignorant of Wizards of the Coast to then come by and make them real zombies on the MtG set.

en_7d46588bdd.png

en_83b79cffd7.png

en_1d689c2712.png

en_f95ae30d32.png

Last edited:
Fair point. It could be argued that finding a type better than Zombie would have been prudent, but if I were a MTG player who knows nothing about Fallout I'd bet ghouls are Zombie type creatures.

As I've said, it's a compromise. Fallout lore got the worse end of it, but it's not a major blunder in my book.

Yeah, I might be a bit too critical of this, but it's probably because I played both Fallout and MtG for a very long time.

I first played Fallout 1 at the end of 1997 and it became my favourite PC game immediately (although these days I tend to prefer FO2 because of the engine improvements and expanded character options).

I started playing MtG when it appeared in my country back in 1995 with an Ice Age starter deck (still one of my favourite sets in the entirety of the MtG catalogue) and it became my favourite CCG/TCG. I have played other card games over the years, both physical and digital and I still like MtG most. Although I have stopped buying actual cards and playing the physical game for 20 or more years now, it saddens me the state of MtG these days and how it has been losing its identity and cohesion over the years.

So yeah, all of this is just to say that since Fallout and MtG are two of my favourite things in their genres, small things like this zombie subtype annoy me more than they should. :lmao:

Last edited:
Calling a ghoul “zombie” is the Fallout universe equivalent to calling them the N word. So seeing cards like “Zombie mutant” Mayor Hancock and “Zombie mutant” Raul is pretty funny.

Yes, you are very correct. Zombies weren't a very supported archetype for a long time but since about 2010 or so, they really ramped up making them a de facto icon for Black and if these were their own creature types, you'd have similar issues to the early days of MTG where you saw "Summon Lord" on an Elf card but since it is just a summon Lord, it's only a Lord type... There's even in-house stuff that doesn't always line up the way you'd want it to but they do it for functionality reasons and that so many cards are dead or near useless after their Draft and Standard period that giving them relevant typing might give them more viability in niche decks or casual formats. It's overall better this way.

Also, Universes Beyond (the umbrella name used for anything that is a third party IP in Magic) has historically been severely criticized and disliked. Sure, it still sells because the ones who are vocally critical aren't the majority of buyers. But this is one of the few Universes Beyond products I've seen little to no distaste for among MTG players. I did see initial preparedness for hating these cards but it seems everyone is surprisingly okay or happy about this release. The biggest complaints I've seen so far is related to the art in some cards being awkward or off-putting.

I'm shocked but then again, most of the dissatisfaction towards these Universes Beyond has died down as it's obvious it's here to stay. If you can't stand it, you ought to quit playing at this rate. It's not going to stop. I did see a lot of disgust towards the Marvel set announcement though. People are not happy to see MORE Marvel than there already is. Disney really did a number on making people sick of an entire collection of intellectual properties.

Me: "Hey, lemme show you something real quick. Go to google images and type...Magic the Gathering Fallout"
Her: "What... ...huh?? Is this real?"
Me: "Heheh.."
Her: "Wow, I wonder what people are saying about this. What about that forum with all the old school Fallout fans? I bet they're gonna **** on it"
Me: "Let's go find out"

I'm glad you guys are still going strong. I feel like I would've been best friends with some of you, if only I'd played Fallout 1 when it first came out. Tragically, Fallout 3 was my introduction to the franchise, after renting it from Blockbuster at someone's recommendation. Does that make me the Fallout equivalent of a Star Wars fan whose introduction to the franchise was Episode VII, popping into a 1990's Expanded Universe forum and arguing that Disney Star Wars isn't all that bad? *retches* No, that's not true...that's impossible! NoooOoOoo... Anyway...

I agree that the Ghouls shouldn't be Zombies, but I just have to laugh at it as an indication of WotC either being ignorant of the lore or trying to be funny by doing it on purpose.

Pretty cool that Fallout Tactics got represented. Definitely an underappreciated game.

Underneath the spoiler button below are some of the obvious Fallout 1 and 2 cards that I found while skimming over the full gallery of cards.
en_32edc22ab1.png

en_30f7df6b4c.png
en_5587e55ed0.png
en_1711199e57.png
en_1ceddcb781.png
en_9b0a8882df.png

There are probably more references to the older games that I missed, since I wasn't looking too closely

Tragically, Fallout 3 was my introduction to the franchise, after renting it from Blockbuster at someone's recommendation. Does that make me the Fallout equivalent of a Star Wars fan whose introduction to the franchise was Episode VII, popping into a 1990's Expanded Universe forum and arguing that Disney Star Wars isn't all that bad? *retches* No, that's not true...that's impossible! NoooOoOoo... Anyway...
Nah man, we all started somewhere with Fallout. If it's any consolation, I also started with Fallout 3, hated Fallout New Vegas at first, and then went onto love Fallout 4 before playing the classics and revisiting Fallout New Vegas and loving it, then revisiting Bethesda's games and changing my views on them. Furthermore, I still like many aspects of Bethesda's lore.

Also, Universes Beyond (the umbrella name used for anything that is a third party IP in Magic) has historically been severely criticized and disliked. Sure, it still sells because the ones who are vocally critical aren't the majority of buyers. But this is one of the few Universes Beyond products I've seen little to no distaste for among MTG players. I did see initial preparedness for hating these cards but it seems everyone is surprisingly okay or happy about this release. The biggest complaints I've seen so far is related to the art in some cards being awkward or off-putting.

I'm one of the assholes who got both 40k and LOTR cards. I liked them quite a lot. But I always thought they should be kept separate from mainline MTG products.
40K did do that well, I think, as it was basically 4 Commander decks make for some fun games together and one Secret Lair I think.

LOTR was a different thing though. It was way bigger, and from what I saw, they added LOTR cards in Modern Horizons 3, no? That's...yeah, I don't like that.

But I always thought they should be kept separate from mainline MTG products.
40K did do that well, I think, as it was basically 4 Commander decks make for some fun games together and one Secret Lair I think.

LOTR was a different thing though. It was way bigger, and from what I saw, they added LOTR cards in Modern Horizons 3, no? That's...yeah, I don't like that.
My opinion exactly.

I don't mind MtG having special sets from other IPs, but they should be self-contained. Want to play 40k or LOTR MtG? It's all fine, but please don't mix these with "regular" MtG official tournaments and events.

People who want to play Optimus Prime together with The Doctor and Gandalf can do it when having fun playing with friends and all of that, but having these cards together in a deck on an official MtG event or something should be a no-no.

People who want to play Optimus Prime together with The Doctor and Gandalf can do it when having fun playing with friends and all of that, but having these cards together in a deck on an official MtG event or something should be a no-no.

From what I've seen on several MTG fan websites, this seems to be a general opinion. People either hate or love UB, but even those that do like it, prefer it as a side thing.

Back