A first look at Magic the Gathering - Fallout. Available March 8, 2024

I assumed all these things from other franchises were self-contained spinoff games, not meant to be compatible with the main MtG game. Nope...they're all perfectly legal. If Wizards of the Coast isn't taking their game seriously anymore, why should anyone else?

Well, I guess they're doing whatever they can to keep printing and selling sets, or to attract interest from other franchises.

There was a missed opportunity here to make Tragic the Garnering real. I guess the reference would've gone over most consumer's heads. Oh well

latest

Last edited:
I'm one of the assholes who got both 40k and LOTR cards. I liked them quite a lot. But I always thought they should be kept separate from mainline MTG products.
40K did do that well, I think, as it was basically 4 Commander decks make for some fun games together and one Secret Lair I think.
Eh, I don't think it makes you an asshole. Too many players are buying it anyway. And I know if they all just didn't then we'd have a successful protest but the problem with that in TCGs is competition. If you protest a product then you are literally shooting your viability in the foot. If I played my modern deck without the few LOTR cards it needs, I'd be at a severe disadvantage unfortunately. Even in casual circles I've seen this be true. Just because Commander is casual doesn't mean there isn't an arms race among friends or communities. I've watched casual playgroups who play all the time eventually shift towards very competitive decks over time as they garner larger collections and trading power.

Any way you slice it, it feels good to win and it feels better to lose with a shot to win than it does to lose to someone playing major leagues while you're hitting the baseball off a tee.

LOTR was a different thing though. It was way bigger, and from what I saw, they added LOTR cards in Modern Horizons 3, no? That's...yeah, I don't like that.
Yeah I'm not a fan of how they're treating Modern now either, especially between Universes Beyond AND Modern Horizons.

For the uninitiated, Modern was first introduced in 2011 and the idea was to "give a home for your old Standard cards." Standard was the de facto format of MTG for many years, it was a rotating set of the most recent cards essentially. Once a set or group of sets had been around too long and a new one released, the oldest one would become illegal to play in Standard.
So Modern's goal was to replace a format that was Standard but had twice the card pool called Extended. Essentially it was Standard but took twice as long for cards to rotate out. Instead, Modern would feature any card from Standard legal sets from 8th Edition to today. 8th Edition was the first set to feature a border redesign on cards, which was the "modern" design at that time.

Well, Modern becomes a home to very powerful decks and new Standard cards are relevant for awhile. But as the years go on, WotC decides that Standard shouldn't have these crazy powerful cards running everywhere, which is fine, but it presents an issue. Modern relies on reprints of old cards in Standard or new powerhouses in Standard to get Standard players to build a starting collection to get into Modern. Now, that isn't so possible since so many Modern staples and mainstays won't ever get Standard printings. So WotC has a "solution."

They make a set called Modern Horizons, it's the first set to ever skip Standard but be legal in Modern and it's meant to introduce new cards to breathe fresh air into the metagame. A great idea on paper. But it also comes with the fact that old staple cards become more irrelevant. They did it again with Modern Horizons 2. So now it's a running joke that fetch lands (expensive lands that havent seen reprints in Standard since like 2013) and Modern Horizons cards compromise 90% of the metagame. Not exactly true but the sentiment has truth in it.

Then comes Universes Beyond. It'll only really affect Legacy, Vintage, and Commander because those are the only sets that allow all black border tournament legal cards no matter what set they're from. But then LOTR set releases and they announce that it is also a direct-to Modern set! And what's even worse is that Modern Horizons 3 is coming out this year alongside another Universes Beyond set that will be Modern legal, Assassin's Creed.

And there's speculation (or maybe confirmation?) that the Marvel sets will be Modern legal.

Modern is the biggest competitive format for MTG and Commander is the biggest casual format. There's a reason everything is made for one or both of these sets going forward. It's where the bulk of their income is at.

I don't mind MtG having special sets from other IPs, but they should be self-contained. Want to play 40k or LOTR MtG? It's all fine, but please don't mix these with "regular" MtG official tournaments and events.
The first taste of this type we got was in Ikoria which had their behemoths reskinned as Godzilla variants and Godzilla villains. This was universally loved I'd say as people thought "it's a legal normal MTG card but you *can* get it in a different skin, so who cares?"
Now, people who play competitively have either quit or they have to suck it up and deal with the Universes Beyond. And even before LOTR was modern legal, the other ones were already Legacy and Vintage legal for tournament purposes. But WotC doesn't hold events or series for those formats anyway, I think they're used to being a wild west afterthought at this point.

Honestly, the only reason i'm even considering grabbing anything from this release is cause im a huge magic nerd and a Caesar simp.

This one's too cool:

This actually got me thinking about the fact that in the background there's an obvious NCR Veteran Ranger, which isn't gonna happen until the 2270s, almost 100 years after Aradesh's disappearance/death in the 2190s.
However, a lot of the NCR Veteran Rangers have LAPD armor, which obviously would be found in the Boneyard, so maybe some early NCR troopers did have this kinda armor around them.

This one's too cool:

This actually got me thinking about the fact that in the background there's an obvious NCR Veteran Ranger, which isn't gonna happen until the 2270s, almost 100 years after Aradesh's disappearance/death in the 2190s.
However, a lot of the NCR Veteran Rangers have LAPD armor, which obviously would be found in the Boneyard, so maybe some early NCR troopers did have this kinda armor around them.

Interesting take.
Equipment is obviously from Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
Aradesh looks like in the original, but the equipment and scenery implies this is somewhere after Shady Sands started its expansion and transformed into nascent NCR.

This one's too cool:

Seems plausible to me that NCR would have that type of equipment before Aradesh died but it was never really shown in Fallout 2 (because it simply wasn't in the game at all) either or explicitly explained in New Vegas (which why would it be?). I definitely could be deadass wrong though, I haven't kept up with the fine details of lore in these games in a long while.
But if the NCR was already building to what could be considered a sovereign nation before his death (which I assume is 2196 as the wikis state that was his last year in office) and Fallout 2 takes place in 2241 and NV in 2281, I could see them having this type of armor since it's implied/stated to be from the LAPD.

Ultimately, I think the artists aren't going to be too particular about what they do and don't include and the main appeal of this is to attract Fallout fans to MTG and most Fallout fans enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas so having the equipment from then is more identifiable.

View attachment 28109
This one is funny, even though he doesn’t really look like Ian.
I mean I'd imagine they aren't going to take the model from Fallout 1 that was also shared with raiders and base it off that.

This looks like it’s based off the Fallout the Board Game version of Ian.

View attachment 28110
Agreed and likely because it was the only official rendition of him with unique identifiers.

Since we're picking apart MTG art for accuracy/reasoning, here's a fun fact: Back in the day, MTG artists didn't get as much to work with for a card's art and once the art was done, it was done. Remaking an entire piece of art simply was not feasible or cost efficient. There's two well known cases of this.

1. During the development of Alpha, one of the dual lands was commissioned and was called Volcanic Island. The artist was given the name and drew a volcanic island, with some birds flying over. Richard Garfield (or maybe someone else) thought the birds took too much attention away from the land that was to be featured on a land card. So he recommissioned the work and repurposed the initial artwork for Volcanic Island into a new card called Birds of Paradise.
Volcanic Island
leb-287-volcanic-island.jpg

Birds of Paradise
lea-186-birds-of-paradise.jpg
Also, Volcanic Island was the dual land that famously wasn't printed in Alpha and likely due to this story. They printed the cards with the art they had while Volcanic Island got its art in time for the printing of Beta.

2. As you can tell, sometimes the artist is given the name and what the card does to inspire their artwork. Well, one artist wasn't very familiar with what a lemure was. And if you're not either, that's fine. It's a shade or spirit from Roman religion. So the artist for this card was told essentially, it's called Hyalopterous Lemure and it can gain flying.
ice-133-hyalopterous-lemure.jpg

Years and years later, it got a reprint with more "fitting" art:
dmr-89-hyalopterous-lemure.jpg

I laughed at that lemure bit. Original is much better and definitely closer to what I imagined.

This one's too cool:

Why is he holding a shitty AER laser rifle?

I like both designs equally, I don't have a problem with it. Honestly I liked most Fallout weapons until Fallout 4 started making them impractical and ridiculous looking.

I mean I'd imagine they aren't going to take the model from Fallout 1 that was also shared with raiders and base it off that.
I understand, but it’s not like they used that character model for the art on any other cards (to my knowledge). Could’ve at least gave him longer hair and a 10mm SMG.

Not that any of this matters, of course.

Ultimately, I think the artists aren't going to be too particular about what they do and don't include and the main appeal of this is to attract Fallout fans to MTG and most Fallout fans enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas so having the equipment from then is more identifiable.
This is undeniable, but it's fun to speculate. I'm mainly just digging the art.

I understand, but it’s not like they used that character model for the art on any other cards (to my knowledge). Could’ve at least gave him longer hair and a 10mm SMG.

Not that any of this matters, of course.
Honestly its just his beard. Kinda just makes him look like a hairy thumb

Back